Singapore Expats

The "first time in Japan" recommendations thread...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:25 pm

missis wrote:Ha ha, I've experienced the "everybody out the gaijin (foreigner) is getting in " phenomenon! You get spectacular results when you comment in Japanese! That said, I also enjoyed some pleasant conversations...
Yes, we were gutted when Johnny Rockets closed - a very sad day :(

Still pouting. They used to cook me burgers to order at the counter. I think they [the order] were called #12's with red sauce. A good stoker before a night out partying... But anyway, the larger point was/is that food in Japan is knock-out at least partially because the ingredients are of such quality [hence, sushi, burger, curry]

Never got as far as speaking to anybody in an onsen! At least I don't think we actually emptied pools (yes, some people did leave when we got in, oh well more space eh)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:26 pm

.....talking of ice and to fuel Aster's interest here's some pictures from the Snow festivals held in Hokkaido although a visitor would have to visit around January or February when the snow in some regions is around 15 or 16 feet deep. Shows what workmen Japanese are (structures are made of snow and ice);

see; http://japanwallpapers.blogspot.com/200 ... tival.html for more.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:40 pm

Plavt wrote:.....talking of ice and to fuel Aster's interest here's some pictures from the Snow festivals held in Hokkaido ... ...
see; http://japanwallpapers.blogspot.com/200 ... tival.html for more.

Holy crap. that's amazing! :)

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:52 pm

JR8 wrote:
missis wrote:Ha ha, I've experienced the "everybody out the gaijin (foreigner) is getting in " phenomenon! You get spectacular results when you comment in Japanese! That said, I also enjoyed some pleasant conversations...
Yes, we were gutted when Johnny Rockets closed - a very sad day :(

Still pouting. They used to cook me burgers to order at the counter. I think they [the order] were called #12's with red sauce. A good stoker before a night out partying... But anyway, the larger point was/is that food in Japan is knock-out at least partially because the ingredients are of such quality [hence, sushi, burger, curry]

Never got as far as speaking to anybody in an onsen! At least I don't think we actually emptied pools (yes, some people did leave when we got in, oh well more space eh)
Ha - we used to hit Johnny Rockets on the way home :D There are a lot of new burger places springing up all over though....
Yes, you're right, the food in Japan is amazing and I do miss it.
Have to say to the guy who was there for a month and never experienced a negative response from a Japanese person - you are in the minority. But I loved my time there and do miss it, had very many great experiences.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:38 pm

People, don't confuse 'polite' with 'cordial', which is closer to the truth although of course it will depend on the person, if you ever get a chance to know them better.

And Plavt, I agree re the xenophobia but no one says 'keto' any more, some Japanese I mentioned it to didn't' even know what it meant - I think it's a holdover from those 1980's Bachelor In Japan-type books (I had 'em all).

Isn't there a Johnny Rocket's in Odiaba?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:43 pm

Despite everything being said, I still love Japan! Miyajima is cool too. To vet your appetite for Japan. Its famous Torri gate.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:48 pm

Food in Japan is amazing, that I agree.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:05 pm

Just alerting Aster what he is missing out. Don't forget to take the Mrs!

Thread tidied up for you.

Moderator.
:)

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 6:36 am

EADG wrote:P
Isn't there a Johnny Rocket's in Odiaba?
Maybe you're thinking of Kua Aina (spelling?)...?