Singapore Expats

The "first time in Japan" recommendations thread...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 6:15 pm

Ha ha, I've experienced the "everybody out the gaijin (foreigner) is getting in " phenomenon! You get spectacular results when you comment in Japanese! That said, I also enjoyed some pleasant conversations...
Yes, we were gutted when Johnny Rockets closed - a very sad day :(

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 6:36 pm

missis wrote:Ha ha, I've experienced the "everybody out the gaijin (foreigner) is getting in " phenomenon! You get spectacular results when you comment in Japanese! :(
They look down on foreigners?

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 6:59 pm

1. GEt a JR pass..its around 460SGD for a week, but well worth it if you travel to many different cities as you can always take Shinkansen
2. Kyoto is a must visit..so is Tokyo
3. I went to Shizuoka, it was amazing to see Mt.Fuji on my way to and from...
4. Sushi and tonkatsu..dont miss that
5. Ah..and hot and cold sake..i personally dont like it..but since you like alcohol...

have fun!

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 7:04 pm

Splatted wrote:
missis wrote:Ha ha, I've experienced the "everybody out the gaijin (foreigner) is getting in " phenomenon! You get spectacular results when you comment in Japanese! :(
Hmm, apologise for being rude but which planet have you been on? Not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic:lol: . The Japanese are the superior race and the rest are beneath them. The term gaijin translated roughly means alien so that is what we are to them. :wink:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 7:37 pm

raden888 wrote:The Japanese are the superior race and the rest are beneath them. The term gaijin translated roughly means alien so that is what we are to them. :wink:
Dutch police officially uses the term Aliens Police for the units handling the immigration matters. Japanese seem at least to be slightly more diplomatic :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:05 pm

Splatted wrote:
the japanese, in general, are known to be xenophobes.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:13 pm

the japanese, in general, are known to be xenophobes
Fortunately you do not really feel any side effects of this in majority of tourist-derived situation.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:15 pm

raden888 wrote:
Splatted wrote:
Hmm, apologise for being rude but which planet have you been on? Not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic:lol: . The Japanese are the superior race and the rest are beneath them. The term gaijin translated roughly means alien so that is what we are to them. :wink:
That's interesting. I've never experienced it, though.

Whilst there (bearing in mind I was there for only a month), I found the locals quite polite and friendly. If they held any resentment towards me or looked down on me, they certainly hid it well.

Actually, I get a lot more rudeness from non-Japanese Asians. Here in Australia, I was shopping at the supermarket and there was a Chinese-cantonese speaking family in the same aisle. The father of the group bumped into me, not once.. but no less than 6 times over the span of 10 minutes and didn't apologize at all every time he passed me and did it. The wife came in front of me twice over the same time frame and blocked my view of the shelving

In Singapore, I also had a similar encounter at the hawker center in AMK. I could see from the corner of my a the Chinese teenager pushing the rubbish trolley. I had to leap to try and get out of the way, but I could see clearly he tried to speed up and (successfully) hit me with it.

As an Aussie, I am wary of starting something whilst in Singapore. Who knows, the kid could have been baiting me into a confrontation with a friend of his possibly waiting out of sight ready to record any reaction on a mobile phone.

Anyway, these aren't isolated incidents. There is a deep resentment some people carry towards foreigners.

However, whilst in Japan - we had an 'incident free' time there. This is why I'm a bit surprised.
Last edited by Splatted on Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:20 pm

x9200 wrote:
the japanese, in general, are known to be xenophobes
Fortunately you do not really feel any side effects of this in majority of tourist-derived situation.
yes; it would only be apparent in the far-flung areas with establishments marked "japanese only"or if you're part of working middle class and below (evidenced by pay, advancement opportunities, etc). their politeness and fascination with foreign cultures (seems contradictory, i know) more than make up for it.

for all of you non-asian folks, here are the funny misadventures of a big, black man in japan: http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&q ... =&gs_rfai=. unfortunately, the main site's down. you should still try to read it though.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:36 pm

nakatago wrote: yes; it would only be apparent in the far-flung areas with establishments marked "japanese only"or if you're part of working middle class and below (evidenced by pay, advancement opportunities, etc). their politeness and fascination with foreign cultures (seems contradictory, i know) more than make up for it.
Could be also a bit of psychological factor: Japanese politeness is outstanding even for Western standard. Going there after an extensive SEA exposure can make one blind to some minute symptoms of xenophobia :)
For the period I've been living in SG there were two clear relief overseas visits for me: one to Australia and driving a car over there and the 2nd to Japan for behaviour of ppl.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:42 pm

Japanese in public are in the main polite and kind to foreign visitors but then Japan is not the most visited country thanks not least to it's reputation for being expensive.

However, there does seem to be either a mistrust and dislike of foreigners; they appear to be suspicious of foreigners becoming too fluent with their language, western males are often referred to as 'hairy barbarians.' :o Some may consider it curious why then they are still willing to learn from western society.

As a holiday maker Aster need not worry about such things as he/she would be very unlikely to encounter any problems. Very if any Japanese consider themselves 'working-class.'

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:48 pm

Aster,
Should you be a man try visiting Hiroshima; I am told young women there are happy to keep you company during your visit nothing else and I am being serious, unless of course you already have company. Either way Hiroshima is worth a visit and if you visit the war museum you meet no resentment from Japanese.

One curiosity I came across in Tokyo; when there's a public holiday attractions are of course closed and the following day too. :? Again I don't remember the full details so hopefully somebody who has lived there will fill in the blanks so to speak.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:00 pm

You can be polite and still dislike foreigners. The Japanese are very polite, regular tourists will not have much problems. Its only when you live there longer you will realise the subtle differences.

However, the younger Japanese are rebelling the old ways in a big way so this attitude is changing.

The case of the poster's friend experience in the onsen is more of an hierarchical issue. If you ever worked or worked with the Japanese you will understand the importance knowing who's the boss! :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:17 pm

raden888 wrote: If you ever worked or worked with the Japanese you will understand the importance knowing who's the boss! :lol:
No surprise, nobody in business circles cuts much ice below 40 years old - could have changed but I doubt it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:21 pm

raden888 wrote: If you ever worked or worked with the Japanese you will understand the importance knowing who's the boss! :lol:
...hence, unless it's under very, very special circumstances, i will never work for a japanese company (moreso if a subcontracted subsidiary) ever again. :x