Singapore Expats

MOE Teaching position

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
robertsmith

MOE Teaching position

Post by robertsmith » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 7:32 pm

I have recently been offered a contract with the Ministry of Education. The salary is approx S$3,000 (I have 1 year experience). I would be teaching secondary school.

I am Canadian born and educated (Bachelor of Education), but I have spent my first year teaching full time in the UK. I have been offered a second year at my current school. I am not thrilled with the prospects of another year at this school, notably because it will be closing the year after next, and the school atmosphere is substandard. However, the main reason I would remain at this school is for the sake of my CV - First two years of employment, full time, same location - in the interest of future employment

However, for various reasons I am desirous to move to Singapore. I am young, debt free, adaptable, without dependents and I do not require lavish livings. I am more than willing to live in the HDB flats (and from my research don't expect much else).

Any opinions on the impact this could have on my future career, advice, warnings on taking this position? I am conflicted and do not have much time to mull this over, hence the forum post. Will a young, outgoing, adventurous Canadian, without dependents survive financially?

nakatago

Re: MOE Teaching position

Post by nakatago » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 7:47 pm

robertsmith wrote: Will a young, outgoing, adventurous Canadian, without dependents survive financially?
Yes, even In Between Days. Strange Attraction with Singapore, huh? I suppose the adventures will be Never Enough. They will be Just Like Heaven. Don't mind the Freakshow, though. Will you be teaching Primary?
Last edited by nakatago on Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Re: MOE Teaching position

Post by Asian_Geekette » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 8:27 pm

nakatago wrote:
robertsmith wrote: Will a young, outgoing, adventurous Canadian, without dependents survive financially?
Yes, even In Between Days. Strange Attraction with Singapore, huh? I suppose the adventures will be Never Enough. They will be Just Like Heaven. Don't mind the Freakshow, though. Will you be teaching Primary?
@nakatago: The OP wrote he'll be teaching secondary school. :)

@robertsmith: If you're willing to use the public transport, eat in hawker centers and not have too much vices (drinking/gambling/smoking), then yes you will survive. It all depends on your lifestyle of course. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 9:31 pm

Oh my... You might survive now, but will you survive your entire three year contract? No one can say. Things change on a dime in Singapore. About two years ago, rents doubled almost overnight. It was really scary.

I really do not think it comes down to whether you can survive. If this was an awesome opportunity, akin to an internship or something, then that would be different, but it is not. Working at the MOE is grueling and difficult, and the cultural differences are huge. Teachers are expected to stay in the country during school holidays, and apply for permission to leave. On top of that, you are not even going to be fairly rewarded.

The International Schools are still hiring for next school year. I strongly suggest you contact them and apply for work there. You will be paid better, have better working conditions and benefits and will generally have a better job. Your entire experience in Singapore would be vastly different.

Working as an ESL tutor pays better than what you have been offered. Honestly, it is not appropriate.

zuttanany

Post by zuttanany » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:53 pm

Hi, I am going to be taking up a teaching position with the MOE in August on a one year contract. Obviously I can't help you concerning salaries etc, but in terms of it hurting your career I have been told the complete opposite by a number of people, including teachers, head teachers and TDA reps (I'm from the UK). I have deferred my entry onto a PGCE course in order to go over to singapore, so I do not have the teaching experience that you have, but so far everyone has told me that it is a great opportunity to have something different on your CV and experience another education system, that is highly regarded as being one of the best in the world.

The one thing to consider is being able to get a job when you come back, if you want to go back to the UK, as there are too many people training to be teachers in the UK at the moment, so you would be entering into a more competitive labour market than the one you left.

to0tL3

Post by to0tL3 » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 3:27 pm

Hi there,
I'm currently looking for native english speakers to teach English part-time at an education centre in Singapore.

do drop me an email at [email protected] if any of you are interested. thanks!

rgds.