Singapore Expats

Dual citizens and travel

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 4:26 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: When I got my PR, it too, took two pages, one for the PR stamp, one for the re-entry stamp. When I renewed my passport I no longer got a stamp but I am supposed to keep a copy of my PR status (which is printed out online) in my passport.
Have you got a link to this SE?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 7:34 pm

Saint wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: When I got my PR, it too, took two pages, one for the PR stamp, one for the re-entry stamp. When I renewed my passport I no longer got a stamp but I am supposed to keep a copy of my PR status (which is printed out online) in my passport.
Have you got a link to this SE?
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152&secid=150

and

http://erep.ica.gov.sg/erep/index.do

What you end up with is an A4 piece of paper that you have to fold. I ended up shrinking it with a graphics program so that I have a nice neat half fold in the front of my passport. Nobody looks at it anyway.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 8:55 pm

JR8 wrote:Ohhhhh....

My LTVP is a standard (albeit green) NRIC.

Nothing gets stamped in my passport, in/out at SG immigration...
Yes... PR, EP, LTVP don't get chopped coming in or out. What I meant is: When you picked up your LTVP card, was your passport chopped with LTVP info?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 9:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

Yes... PR, EP, LTVP don't get chopped coming in or out. What I meant is: When you picked up your LTVP card, was your passport chopped with LTVP info?
OIC. But the answer to the above is no. From when I arrived for this stint circa 2 years ago I arrived as a normal tourist getting 30 day visa on arrival (SVP). I did a few border-runs to JB before finally applying for an LTVP based upon the EPEC scheme that I had applied for/had approved back in London. I then a year later renewed it on another personal basis. When ICA were processing the latter application they did chop me with a 60 day SVP in my passport. An unusual stamp, it is hexagonal. But there is nothing in the passport to say that I have an LTVP.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:52 am

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

OIC. But the answer to the above is no. From when I arrived for this stint circa 2 years ago I arrived as a normal tourist getting 30 day visa on arrival (SVP). I did a few border-runs to JB before finally applying for an LTVP based upon the EPEC scheme that I had applied for/had approved back in London. I then a year later renewed it on another personal basis. When ICA were processing the latter application they did chop me with a 60 day SVP in my passport. An unusual stamp, it is hexagonal. But there is nothing in the passport to say that I have an LTVP.

Here on EP/DP and for everyone in the family the answer is the same as above...

We have a stamp for entry in singapore... valid for 90 days... and nothing else since... that was 9 months ago

The green card is THE only proof of visa we have

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:31 pm

Same here. When we (husband, son and myself) got the visas last August we were worried that there had been a mistake as there was NOTHING in our passports. We were nervous when going on a trip soon after (Bali) but no issues there and it seems that is the norm now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 1:13 pm

Going a little OT, but maybe of use to others with FIN IC's... I only just realised that with the passport and IC card I can go through the automated turnstiles at 'points of entry/exit' and don't have to queue.

Sure as hell beats standing in a half hour Q at Changi after a 12-15 journey in!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 4:53 pm

JR8 wrote:Going a little OT, but maybe of use to others with FIN IC's... I only just realised that with the passport and IC card I can go through the automated turnstiles at 'points of entry/exit' and don't have to queue.

Sure as hell beats standing in a half hour Q at Changi after a 12-15 journey in!
Have you actually done this? It was previously only for PR's. You had to apply for a separate card which fit in the reader. Now, the passport will work but I was unaware that it had been expanded beyond PR's.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 5:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:Going a little OT, but maybe of use to others with FIN IC's... I only just realised that with the passport and IC card I can go through the automated turnstiles at 'points of entry/exit' and don't have to queue.

Have you actually done this? It was previously only for PR's. You had to apply for a separate card which fit in the reader. Now, the passport will work but I was unaware that it had been expanded beyond PR's.
Hi SE,
Last time I flew out of Changi in December, as usual my SGn wife went through the auto-turnstiles (over on the left), while I queued at the counters. Of course my wife went straight through where she bumped into an old friend who is an immigration duty officer. When I finally got through and joined them, the immigration officer remarked that I could have gone through the auto-turn-stiles too. As you might imagine that was quite a revelation... but it was from the horse's mouth as such.

When we came back into Changi arrivals, I went through the auto-turnstiles (over on the right in the arrivals hall). I know the main queues have LED boards over them saying 'Flight-crew, SGns, PR's and EP's, tourists' etc, but I don't actually recall if there was anything marked over the auto-turnstiles. From what I recall (Looooong journey, I was tired) I simply put my machine-readable passport page on a small glass scanner like screen, the turnstile opened. I got a couple of metres on, put my thumb on another scanner. Another turnstile opened and I was through... zero hassle, zero queueing!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 7:44 am

Now that is good to know! thanks!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:52 am

If there was a change then it had to be very recent:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=196&secid=195

The above link claims to be updated on 10th of Dec. and EP holders are said there not to be automatically included.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:18 am

x9200 wrote:If there was a change then it had to be very recent:

The above link claims to be updated on 10th of Dec. and EP holders are said there not to be automatically included.
Yep, strange that isn't it. I have an LTVP and got through with just a scan of my passport page, and my thumb.

But your link suggests EP/work permit/dependents need to apply for an IACS smart-card. Perhaps this is because ICA don't have the fingerprints of people in the latter categories? Don't know...

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 9:24 am

Just thought I would post and update... got a reply to the email I sent to the US Consulate (mind, I did not mention the I-94 as that only came up after I had sent it), but they did say I could use the British passport and VWP. The info they gave was not necessarily very detailed or helpful, but I guess I can print out the email and include it in the stack of documents I plan to take with me in case I encounter any problems.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:32 am

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:If there was a change then it had to be very recent:

Yep, strange that isn't it. I have an LTVP and got through with just a scan of my passport page, and my thumb.

But your link suggests EP/work permit/dependents need to apply for an IACS smart-card. Perhaps this is because ICA don't have the fingerprints of people in the latter categories? Don't know...

might be because quite a few EP holders don't have a green card that includes picture and fingerprint ? :-k

Me haven't tried to go through the electronic gates... travelling most of the time with a toddler kind of prevents that anyway :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:22 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

It's because he is married to a Singapore citizen on the new biometric LTVSP, he's not allowed PR until he becomes eligible. It is the same for all spouses of PR's on LTVSP if they have the new biometric pass. dependants of EP are not allowed because neither are long term permanent residents as far as I know.