Singapore Expats

Exiles from the 'other board'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Exiles from the 'other board'

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:58 pm

Hello,

I've just signed up, having had more than I can take of ExpatSingapore.

The way they summarily delete posts, and whole topics without rhyme, reason or explanation is, er, surprising. Today they have excelled themselves by gloating that they do this.

So enough. I expect a few other exiles might turn up here too.

Onwards ho. Hope this forum proves as interesting and fruitful as it appears.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 1:03 pm

Welcome JR8. Enjoy the forum. We have some very interesting moderators but no, you will not face any of the issues that you've had with your previous forum. Mods here will go out of their way to explain exactly WHY they did what they did with your post/thread. :D
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Exiles

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 1:28 pm

Thx for that.

I've been on the web for many a year. Used to spar, (cough) I mean debate, with the PAP-Youth stooges on soc.culture.singapore as long ago as '94 :)

So once I get the particular vibe here, I'm looking forward to settling in and contributing...

Yeah you know the thing with the 'other forum', is the the arrogance and disdain shown to their members. I have never experienced anything like it before.

It is weird. For example their main board is sub-titled inviting 'brick-bats and bouquets'. But if you recommend anything they delete your post. So, ask about a decent hotel to stay in for a few weeks, get 10 answers, and before you can even write them down, poof!, topic deleted. Rec a great company you used to buy an appetiser for Xmas day lunch, poof! topic gone. Totally mad. Today was even madder, the Admins utter upper-case public glee at deleting a subscribers post.

As you can see I am still puzzled and confused, but will breath deeply and try and chill :?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 1:35 pm

Tic toc tic toc

Only joking :lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Exiles

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 1:40 pm

Hehehehe.... :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:38 pm

JR8

You'll be right here. As you can see, if you have been on the OB (or Angry Board as it's most often called) for a long time, you will already recognize my nick as I was a refugee from that board about 6 years ago myself! :wink:

Anyway, the one thing to remember, that is different than most forums, is that the moderators here are regular members who interact as regular members. But we also have the normal moderation duties which does not include deleting posts or threads "just because we don't like the responses" (unless the trolls get out of hand or it descends into racial taunts, threats or untoward language). For that matter we also get into the thick of it and mix it up as well as the next forumer at times.

Sometimes, we are all to human as well, and when that does happen, we apologize, usually on the open board. You will also notice that the regular members here tend to help us police the board as well when it comes to advertising here (we do not allow any blatant advertising or solicitation for personal gain) except for a single hyperlink in your signature line which cannot be referred to in your posts (passive advertising). However, we love recommendations by satisfied users in answer to someone's query for a service or product. (there is a difference between a recommendation from a satisfied user and a promotion of a product that you happen to be selling) About the only recommendation that we do not allow here is recommendations for realtors or real estate agencies other than our host! The Mercedes dealer isn't gonna let you sell hondas from his showroom! :P Which is fair enough.

Have a read of some of the more important stickies for the finer points.

Welcome to SingaporeExpats. We hope you will enjoy your stay and become an active member of our community here.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Exiles from the 'other board'

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:55 pm

JR8 wrote:Hello,

I've just signed up, having had more than I can take of ExpatSingapore..
Wazzat?

Anyway, beware of this one particular Mod, saint. He's a mean mongrel and will modify your posts in a heartbeat . . .

Oh, and he's English to boot!

(Post edited by saint 24.03.10)

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:58 pm

Oh, and there's the cantankerous old bastard, SundayMorningStaple . . . if he disagrees with you . . . BANG!

(Post edited by SundayMorningStaple 24.03.10)

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:12 pm

Good try V., but I reckon my good name has already been blown to smithereens by intellectualsmuse. :cool:

But, as saint isn't a mod, he can't edit other people's posts. [-(

Oh, mine? When we edit someone's post as a moderator, we don't leave any tracks at all except if it's our own posts or we tell the reader so in their post. :devil:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever edited one of yours, have I? And dog knows, there's been a number of posters here that wanted that to happen at times! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:16 pm

i believe the word is

POOF
Just me

DazzleBabe

$Pripps

Post by $Pripps » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:19 pm

cheers.

Same here, also exile from expatsingapore - had enough of the random deletion of posts and cocky attitude of the moderators.

I'll be hanging out here instead from now on. :)
Last edited by $Pripps on Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good try V., but I reckon my good name has already been blown to smithereens by intellectualsmuse. :cool:

Never heard of the guy, but he seems to be a subversive!

But, as saint isn't a mod, he can't edit other people's posts. [-(

He's not? He must be a sleeper mod . . . and if not, why not?! saint for mod!

Oh, mine? When we edit someone's post as a moderator, we don't leave any tracks at all except if it's our own posts or we tell the reader so in their post. :devil:

Swine

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever edited one of yours, have I? And dog knows, there's been a number of posters here that wanted that to happen at times! :lol:

I don't believe you have, sms . . . it just shows that you appreciate intellectual brilliance!

As for the other posters who would like to see my writings castrated:
Anyway, off to Cambodia now . . . see if I can sidestep those pesky landmines and earn a few dollars.

Welcome, JR8 . . . this board may be a bit sleepy at times, but it is up to you to make it and shape it.

'nuff said Image

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:30 pm

Please beware of Mr Vaucluse as he renowned to post under many different guises, Quais, SGBoyxxx, Vbelle, road.not.taken to name just a few

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Exiles

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah, ok. I get a sense for how it works. I like that the mods are simply more experienced members rather than overzealous commercial gate-keepers trying to protect a $5 potential advertising fee that they're never going to get in 1000 years anyway. Destroying their customers, to protect their imagined potential market. You could hardly make that up.

SMS. I've done two stints here. 90's and 00's, so regret I am not familiar with you.

As an aside I was on a recreational sport forum (abroad) for many years, when a half dozen or so of us old timers were made moderators. Then suddenly 'as Representaives of the forum', we were being held to higher standards of behaviour than before. It was suggested that it was an example of 'holding your enemies close', or at least the gobby posters :) It ended in tears when I remained 'just me' and carried on as I had during all my previous years. Anyway, first impressions are you're way more chilled here... skol to that! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:40 pm

Saint wrote:Please beware of Mr Vaucluse as he renowned to post under many different guises, Quais, SGBoyxxx, Vbelle, road.not.taken to name just a few
You want a bigger stick to stir up the hornet's nest with! :lol:

And $Pripps, welcome aboard as well! However, I don't want to disillusion you, but our moderators are cocky as well at times :oops: ............

...........but all in good fun! :mrgreen: