Singapore Expats

Born overseas - Renouncing Singapore Citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 5:30 pm

Koalabear wrote: This sucks. DAMN I CANT EVEN GO BACK in peace now. What if Im only going back for 5 days with return ticket already bought? My exit permit valid up to a year every time I apply because I declared overseas PR status. Surely they cant be that efficient to schedule my ICT if im staying in Singapore for 5 days only!
KB

First mistake is your declare as overseas PR Status.
Should try with overseas employment instead. Try to get multiple trips.
B4 I used to get my exit permit from CMPB Dover Rd. It is piece of paper which will explain if you are on what type of exit permit from studies to employment. It also stated single or multiple trips. Should go for this when you apply from the internet. They will asked for supporting document on random check but I believe you will get longer exit permit period.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:05 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Koalabear wrote: This sucks. DAMN I CANT EVEN GO BACK in peace now. What if Im only going back for 5 days with return ticket already bought? My exit permit valid up to a year every time I apply because I declared overseas PR status. Surely they cant be that efficient to schedule my ICT if im staying in Singapore for 5 days only!
KB

First mistake is your declare as overseas PR Status.
Should try with overseas employment instead. Try to get multiple trips.
B4 I used to get my exit permit from CMPB Dover Rd. It is piece of paper which will explain if you are on what type of exit permit from studies to employment. It also stated single or multiple trips. Should go for this when you apply from the internet. They will asked for supporting document on random check but I believe you will get longer exit permit period.
Is there any disadvantage for declaring overseas PR vs overseas unemployment? From what they tell me, as long as I declare overseas PR I can extend up to one year which is the max for exit permit.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 3:07 am

Koalabear wrote:Is there any disadvantage for declaring overseas PR vs overseas unemployment? From what they tell me, as long as I declare overseas PR I can extend up to one year which is the max for exit permit.
KB

You really do not have any ideas on this do you? No worries mate !!
I will clear this matter once and for all.

1. Exit Permit for NSF i.e NS men that has completed NS tour and now in reservist mobilisation unit.
2. Once they have posted you the unit, you can apply exit permit if you need to go overseas more than 3 months to have EP approved.No EP approve you must come back. Best to do it at CMPB to resolve problems
3. Exit permit falls into a few category for NSF. Studies, PR, work , etc...
a) Studies usually for tertiary is a single trip. You can get up to 5 years. But if you return, your EP is invalid and you have to reaapply with all the docs. CMPB is the best way to go as they have the PC booth to do it and you can give the docs to verify and save you trouble.
b) PR Status : Max is 2 years. Not sure if this has change. Single Trip only
c) Overseas Posting: Do the same as (a) but you will get multiple trips. Your EP stay even you return home as long as less than 30 days. More stringent docs e.g Singapore Company Letter Head to verify your posting blah blah
d) Overseas employment: same as a, c. BUT Overseas Company LetterHEad. YOUR Employment Pass or PR . State how long you will be employed and your salary. Usually 3 years, multiple trips
I doubt it change that much.
You fall into different category from the way you fill up the form
Good Luck

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 7:48 am

Hey KB

B4 I forgot. What PES are you ? Are you nearing 40 ?
Have you done any in-camp b4 PR Status ?

MS

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:57 am

DAMN! I never knew this at all. From what the CMPB guy told me, I have to renew my exit permit by showing them my PR every year.

Im PES A, 24 years of age, never did ICT and they haven't posted me to a unit yet as im on some holding list. In that case I just won't go back. And why do they wanna know my salary for overseas employment? Can I tell them its none of their freak business because I may very well work in a overseas family business without salary? I hate it when govt asks me for all kinds of irrelevant data. I remember my s1 department clerk told me he can somehow check the PSLE score of our commanding officer through the database...........

Wait a minute, didnt u get flagged as well even though u have a multiple trip permit? How did that happen?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 2:19 pm

Koalabear wrote:DAMN! I never knew this at all. From what the CMPB guy told me, I have to renew my exit permit by showing them my PR every year.

1. First of all, the guy who told you is a NSActive personnel serving his NS . So you should not have wholeheartedly believe him . He has a set of guide to follow to answer your queries.He does not even have a clue what he is telling you. Talk about the blind leading the blind !!!
You should ask those ladies in civilian, they are the real deal. They are the ones that knows inside out how the system works.

Im PES A, 24 years of age, never did ICT and they haven't posted me to a unit yet as im on some holding list. In that case I just won't go back.

Incorrect idea. I guess you got your PR with your whole family. As I said in the previous post. You are on the holding list because of your status BUT YOU ARE WALKING ON A VERY THIN ICE !!
Look, the day I completed my NS , you were not even born and yet I follow the rules. I suggest you serve some in camp while you are young and fit. As you reach 30, alot of muscles is not as strong. Wait till you reach 40. Can you imagine serving reservist call up at 40 ??

Pes A , so must b 45 then. So I guess you are in combat vocation. NCO maybe. My guess section leader or platoon sergeant. I think you are from the unit vocation.
These are the front-line brigades or the nerve of the Armed Forces. I will bet you your NS call up will be soon and your exit permit will be scrutinised even further as they need the numbers there in exercise.

And why do they wanna know my salary for overseas employment? Can I tell them its none of their freak business because I may very well work in a overseas family business without salary? I hate it when govt asks me for all kinds of irrelevant data. I remember my s1 department clerk told me he can somehow check the PSLE score of our commanding officer through the database...........

Do you have a choice ? No , so just suck it in and go with the flow. They want docs , give them or else you can never leave SG or get your EP

Wait a minute, didnt u get flagged as well even though u have a multiple trip permit? How did that happen?

Read my previous post, yes I was flagged but I did not aggravate the situation. I did not go to the field during my last day in NS duties as I am a ranking officer. Capisce !!
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:54 pm

Whats the use of multi trip exit permit in that case? It might as well be defunct if they can force you to do ICT even if u have one.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 3:59 am

Koalabear wrote:Whats the use of multi trip exit permit in that case? It might as well be defunct if they can force you to do ICT even if u have one.
Woah , KB, do not have to get upset with me for something that you are not in control. You do not like what I tell you and you KNOW IT IS A FACT, , you can always get others to give you advise. Calm yourself down.

I am not the one that you should get upset with . Your predicament is due to your ignorance but it is not a major. I am here to help and advise.

Now, the multiple trip exit permit save you time and trouble to reapply. Border Control movement makes your life easier.
It has its purpose and it's NOT YOR CALL ANYWAY. Like I said , how you fill up the exit permit will make you end up in the different exit permit category
ICT is because you refuse to go for it and now on holding list. You asked for it, so now you owe them. Does this makes sense to you ?
B4 it accumulates like a roll of toilet paper, is best you pay some back.
Alternatively , since you are already above the age of 21 , GO AND RENOUNCE SG CITZENSHIP. Save all the trouble and anguish

Read my pervious post in red.
BTW my guess on your unit background is it correct OR NOT ?

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 9:02 am

Read my pervious post in red.
BTW my guess on your unit background is it correct OR NOT ?[/quote]

Im not upset with u. Im fcking angry with this whole EP, ICT BS.

Im lance corporal when I ORD, served as RP. (yah yah, great irony, Im one of those guys that go around in a jeep knocking on doors reminding the reservists + their families on upcoming mob manning and hunting down those overseas reservists who cannot be contacted by phone)

I will probably marry here and I want to bring my GF back to see what Singapore is like. From what I gather it looks like the moment I touch down, my exit permit will be defunct and I cannot leave Singapore until I complete my ICT. In that case, Im camping here until I turn 45.

I was just wondering, what if you already have a return ticket to leave in 5 days? They simply make u waste your return ticket?

Its strange that I know tonnes of middle aged Singaporeans here who camped here without any problem. They just kept renewing their EP with their overseas employment status.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 2:23 pm

KB

Yup they will make you waste the return ticket.

Like you said those middle aged SGer are having employment exit permit NOT PR Exit permit category. So they are much easier in reapplying than you.

I do not think they will flag you this time but this is my guess only. What I do know is it is better to clear some in-camp while you are free.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:08 pm

OK note taken. I just find it very :x when u got your multi-trip EP voided the moment you touched down. If I had not come across this info, I'd probably suffered lots of inconvenience when I get back. My friend once told me, when dealing with MINDEF treat them like a fcking bastard with no common sense but only their interest at heart. Now I see I have to adopt that mentality or I'll land in lots of trouble.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 6:56 am

Koalabear wrote:OK note taken. I just find it very :x when u got your multi-trip EP voided the moment you touched down. If I had not come across this info, I'd probably suffered lots of inconvenience when I get back. My friend once told me, when dealing with MINDEF treat them like a fcking bastard with no common sense but only their interest at heart. Now I see I have to adopt that mentality or I'll land in lots of trouble.
Easy KB, I was never upset nor angry when they flagged me. Let me give you an example of how MINDEF or CMPB or any other agencies in SG works.
When you are born , you get your Birth Cert, which will informed about 9 agencies that you are born. It is ticking hence at every stage of your life you are being monitored. Your parent must tick all the boxes along the way such as BCG, Pri 1 schooling and so on. When you got your Pink IC which is now biometric, you are more stringently monitored.
So if along the way you or your parent fails to adhere the rules, there will be fine and penalties. This are the harsh realities living in SG.
So,...... like I said before, don't aggravate the situation , "ride the wave or go with the flow"
These people are just doing their jobs, they have not a single clue or any compassion for your feelings or inconvenience. They only think inside their four sides of the box.
You will be surprised that you can manage to get out from this unscathe if you OBSERVE.
BTW so you are from Provost. Must be you that stop me at the airport back then ?? He hehe..... :P

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 6:31 am

haha. Not really I do not service the airport but I service the NS men from my unit. I asked my friends what they do during re-service and its really really lame stuff like setting up cones and sitting in the guard house to read newspapers. Do Ns men get reimbursed for their NS commitments? Imagine some Investment banker sitting in the guard house reading newspaper while MINDFE compensates his hourly rate that will be sweet.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 8:51 am

Koalabear wrote:haha. Not really I do not service the airport but I service the NS men from my unit. I asked my friends what they do during re-service and its really really lame stuff like setting up cones and sitting in the guard house to read newspapers. Do Ns men get reimbursed for their NS commitments? Imagine some Investment banker sitting in the guard house reading newspaper while MINDFE compensates his hourly rate that will be sweet.
Well it depends on their Pes and Vocation. Since you are Pes A, chances of you going to combat vocation is highly possible. The do have this makeup claim form to be filled up by yourself or the employer that you have to submit prior the in-camp. If you are self employed , you have to submit them quite a bit for those period of in-camp.
Yes Mindef pays your earned income salary for that period. I have friends that is a judge, scientist even CEOs. Mindef still pay them their outside pay.
Hell, the SG financial budget yearly has allocated about 3% for MINDEF approx

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 9:51 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Koalabear wrote:haha. Not really I do not service the airport but I service the NS men from my unit. I asked my friends what they do during re-service and its really really lame stuff like setting up cones and sitting in the guard house to read newspapers. Do Ns men get reimbursed for their NS commitments? Imagine some Investment banker sitting in the guard house reading newspaper while MINDFE compensates his hourly rate that will be sweet.
Well it depends on their Pes and Vocation. Since you are Pes A, chances of you going to combat vocation is highly possible. The do have this makeup claim form to be filled up by yourself or the employer that you have to submit prior the in-camp. If you are self employed , you have to submit them quite a bit for those period of in-camp.
Yes Mindef pays your earned income salary for that period. I have friends that is a judge, scientist even CEOs. Mindef still pay them their outside pay.
Hell, the SG financial budget yearly has allocated about 3% for MINDEF approx
What if one works overseas and go back for reservice?? I don't mind paying ticket if they reimburse my overseas SALARY!!