Singapore Expats

Any chance of a 62 year old caucasian getting an EP?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
despagnac

Any chance of a 62 year old caucasian getting an EP?

Post by despagnac » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 4:30 am

My father in law is looking at coming to Singapore to work, but not sure if his age will work against him in getting an EP, does anyone knows anyone was rejected based upon age?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 7:10 am

I'm sure that there have been rejections, but I also know that there have been many many approvals, especially in the O&G/Petrochem/Pharm construction industries here. Same with project engineers in major civil works as so forth. Other industries, like the financial/medical/manufacturing sectors, possibly, but that is outside my sphere of experience. They look for experience/qualifications more than age (on project works by MNC contractors that is). Local companies, well, that's another kettle of fish.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

despagnac

Post by despagnac » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 4:20 am

Well, he is a financial adviser and it's a British company that's offering him the position, he has got master degree but that was in marine as he was a captain at sea for 20 years before he became a financial adviser 20 years ago. He has high achievement in his profession. What do you think his chances are???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 7:05 am

As good as the next guy with similar qualifications and experience. The degrees are only a key to open the door. They don't say a person is going to be successful. They only say the person is a good test taker. Experience is what will make the difference in the interview. Chances are the same I'd say. But I'm an old coot as well, so I tend to commiserate along those lines.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 5:07 am

Out of interest are experienced teachers a group whom can come here to work over 62 yo?

I have heard of some of the local teachers being refused early retirement as they do not have enough experienced teachers, but am unsure if that is still the case!