Singapore Expats

Anyone lived in / or from Germany

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Anyone lived in / or from Germany

Post by ozchick » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 1:23 pm

Despite the efforts of my crappy passport to deal me a poor hand re work in Europe, I'm close to a win I think. Bonn in Germany. Would have preferred more Mediterranean climate...but beggars can't be choosers.
So Bonn.
I've done what homework I can. One in 7 there is an expat. The population 400,000 . Their claim to fame is Beethoven's statue and it's a sleepy hollow compared with nearby Dusseldorf and Cologne. Snow not an issue although this last winter it was . Think I can cope with all that. Have never seen a white Christmas- it may happen yet!

The contacts I do have say that the salary etc is fine, although it's quite a step-down from Sg or what I could be earning in say, the U.A.E.
But grateful for your opinions or experience any of you may have. The NET annual salary is Euro 32,000 ($60,860 sg dollars) after all taxes and health insurance is paid. It has no accommodation included. My nephew in Dusseldorf reckons it's fine. But he's only 24. Not sure what he'd be living on. Fresh air and sunshine probably. I want to be able to ride my bicycle but have been told that there are awful hills....mm...
Anyone know about the skin-heads? Read something about them being a bit conspicuous there. Any advice on any aspect, positive or negative welcome. Experience, especially recent, is better than google!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 7:19 pm

Wow..cave lady got a job! :lol:

Make sure the nett salary is calculated after the church tax .This tax is additional to regular taxes.

You will probably budget 1000-1500EUROS for accommodation .If the angels are helping you might be lucky to land an apartment for less than ( 600 EURO.)

If you are going there by yourself than you should be fine but if you are bringing your children then you will not be leading an extravagant lifestyle.

Eating out is generally expensive especially since you do not have access to hawker stalls.

Skinheads? I have traveled Germany far and wide and never encountered any problems with them.

Bonn central location makes traveling around Europe easy. No more 24hr flights!It is a nice city.

I found cost of living reasonable but then again at time I was living in Switzerland so Germany was 'cheap' for me!

If you're looking for a change why not try the Czech Republic, there's always seem to be a demand for qualified native English teachers .

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 8:34 pm

Nice post, raden!

raden888 wrote:Wow..cave lady got a job! :lol:

(Snigger)

Make sure the nett salary is calculated after the church tax .This tax is additional to regular taxes.

Actually, you can apply to be exempted from this tax

You will probably budget 1000-1500EUROS for accommodation .If the angels are helping you might be lucky to land an apartment for less than ( 600 EURO.)

Some nice ones in Bad Godesberg or anywhere in the old part of town

If you are going there by yourself than you should be fine but if you are bringing your children then you will not be leading an extravagant lifestyle.

True

Eating out is generally expensive especially since you do not have access to hawker stalls.

True, but there are also quite inexpensive 'Imbisse' and the like . . . but food is definitely more expensive there

Skinheads? I have traveled Germany far and wide and never encountered any problems with them.

Skinheads? :lol: Hardly a problem . . . but one bit of advice, Ozchick . . . if you're thinking of keeping some of your mannerisms that you have displayed here . . . where Singaporeans may accept it, Germans won't put up with it and you'll have a miserable time not being able to push people around.

Bonn central location makes traveling around Europe easy. No more 24hr flights!It is a nice city.

IT is a beautiful city, full of history and lots of tree-lines streets . . . a short hop to Cologne or over to Holland (not that you'd want to) and Belgium (YES, this you would want to)

I found cost of living reasonable but then again at time I was living in Switzerland so Germany was 'cheap' for me!

It is not one of the more expensive cities in Germany, like Munich or Frankfurt but still has many government agencies there - and the accompanying internationalism. A good mix

If you're looking for a change why not try the Czech Republic, there's always seem to be a demand for qualified native English teachers .

Good point, no idea what Ozchick does . . . though if it involves dealing with other people . . yikes!

Cycling . . . after Holland, Germany is a bikers paradise and the Rheinlaender people (the population living along the Rhein, Bonn, Koeln, Duesseldorf etc..., are probably the nicest and most open-minded in the country . . .

AND YOU CAN GET FRESH KOELSCH BIER!!!!

You were very lucky to land this, good for you

'nuff said Image

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:47 pm

pro...
no singlish
no tissue packet seats booking
lots of sausages to eat
no snake in toilet bowl
swinger party

con...
no durian
no roti prata
no hainan chicken rice
less public holidays

pro or con to some...
green, so no unlimited double bag plastic bag when shopping
green, keep your glass jar/bottles for recycling (and get a rebate)
4 seasons weather

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:00 am

durain wrote: no snake in toilet bowl
So flush after you're done . . . filthy bugger

'nuff said Image

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 8:41 pm

raden888 wrote:Wow..cave lady got a job! :lol:

He he yeah the cave-lady is in there with a very good chance! It's not definite yet but hopefully......Thanks Raden!
Yeah the package they've sent says $0 for church tax so it looks like I don't have to pay that. The apartment cost the big one yeah...do you recall if most places are unfurnished, cos my current job is sending my furniture with me. That'll be funny- wicker furniture and similar Asian decos in Europe! ...ah well...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 8:53 pm

Vaucluse wrote:

Skinheads? :lol: Hardly a problem . . . but one bit of advice, Ozchick . . . if you're thinking of keeping some of your mannerisms that you have displayed here . . . where Singaporeans may accept it, Germans won't put up with it and you'll have a miserable time not being able to push people around.[/color)

Good point, no idea what Ozchick does . . . though if it involves dealing with other people . . yikes!

Oh I will certainly heed these words of advice. Yep we women need to know our place! :lol:

[/quote]

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 3:24 pm

If you are looking for unfurnished apartments, the rent will be lower.However, it all depends on the duration of the tenancy. You will have more choices if you are looking for long term rental. Many landlords and agencies prefer at least one year lease agreements.

Also, be prepared to fork out huge deposits. Deposits can be as much as 3 months rent and if you go through agencies ,you have to pay an agency deposit too, I believe.

Check the place thoroughly too,especially the heating system. Bonn may have lots of cute medieval apartments but the heating system could also be ancient which will translate to high utility bills during winter.

As Vaucluse pointed , try not to behave like a Singaporean there.It won't get you far.Plus, keep the cheeky Aussie humour at bay too. I've noticed a lot of Australians tend to make WW2 references when they come across Germans. Big No No in Germany.They will not laugh at your jokes or see the funny side.They have worked hard to erase the sins of the past.Its best not to burn bridges before they are being built! :D

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:55 am

raden888 wrote:I've noticed a lot of Australians tend to make WW2 references when they come across Germans. Big No No in Germany.They will not laugh at your jokes or see the funny side.
I think that would be the case regardless of the type of joke. :D The Germans have a lot of positive traits, but a good sense of humour is sadly not one of them (the Dutch are brilliant in this regard though). :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:45 pm

aster wrote:
raden888 wrote:I've noticed a lot of Australians tend to make WW2 references when they come across Germans. Big No No in Germany.They will not laugh at your jokes or see the funny side.
I think that would be the case regardless of the type of joke. :D The Germans have a lot of positive traits, but a good sense of humour is sadly not one of them (the Dutch are brilliant in this regard though). :)
Hmm, could it be that their sense of humour is different? I am presuming you have first hand knowledge in being humorous with Germans in German?

As for the Dutch . . . five years of living there gives me a different opinion to yours, I find their sense of humour quite boorish

'nuff said Image

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Post by mayaray » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 2:37 pm

different slots different coins

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 4:09 pm

Very well put

'nuff said Image

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 6:04 pm

dont mention faulty towers too especially basil german walk! do a search on youtube and you know what i mean :P :) .

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 8:21 pm

Vaucluse wrote: Hmm, could it be that their sense of humour is different? I am presuming you have first hand knowledge in being humorous with Germans in German?

As for the Dutch . . . five years of living there gives me a different opinion to yours, I find their sense of humour quite boorish
Yes, very different. Apparently it's the language that's at fault here... with German being a more rigorous language and not as flexible as English. And language also shapes certain thought processes, but then that's all linguistic mumbo-jumbo...

Since I sense a hint of disagreement on this one I can fully understand why you'd also have an opposite opinion about the Dutch. :)

P.S. Two absolute classics, enjoy:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpDrlNh6n0

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBn2_ia8zM

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 9:20 pm

durain wrote:dont mention faulty towers too especially basil german walk! do a search on youtube and you know what i mean :P :) .
Yeah I know that sketch D! Hilarious yeah?! The thought of it makes me laugh! :D
Basil! BASIL?! BASIL!!!!
and "Don't mention the war"! :lol:

So thanks all for your input to this post. What a wonderfully educated, well-travelled lot we have on here. Collectively it's a wealth of knowlege, and great to hear from those who've been here there and everywhere!
So found out last night that it's all systems go!
Mm...will miss Sg but not outta here until August. Will miss wearing the same 'summer' clothes each day. But the change of seasons is also something that I love when I go back to Oz..... There ain't no perfect place I guess.
Gonna go practise the Deutch now. Gute Nacht. Schlaf gut!