Singapore Expats

Need Help to tackle PEP Issue

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
usa2sing

Need Help to tackle PEP Issue

Post by usa2sing » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 7:58 am

Hi Guys,

I need some help urgently to resolve an issue I have landed in.I applied for a PEP visa 5.5 months back and it got approved (since I earn more than 7k SGD being in the US).I just managed to get a job but still have lots of documentation to do before I can join.In the meantime my in principle approval letter will expire.What should I do now? Apply for PEP again or send a letter to MOM requesting an extesnion of approval letter?Please advice.Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 9:09 am

I'm not sure what documentation you are referring to. The medical you will get when you arrive here. Surely, with 5.5 months since obtaining your IPA you have all your documents already in hand including sufficient quantities of notarized copies if necessary? You can courier most anything necessary in 3 days using FEDEX or DHL or UPS. Or faster yet, a highres scan & email. I don't have any real advice except to tell you that you might need to make a long distance call or two to MOM to get a factual reply poste haste rather than depending on our guesses here.

That is unless someone here has had the same problem...... even then you are going still going to have to call MOM to initiate things anyway.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

usa2sing

Post by usa2sing » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 9:16 am

I meant documentation for my new job.They will offer me a joining date which will cross the 6 month deadline on my approval letter.The latest date I can get my PEP stamped is 17'th March but I wont be able to fly to singapore by that time.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 9:24 am

Then I would suggest a call to MOM for direction as I've not run into a case of this on this board or in my mental anecdotal archives as the PEP is a relatively new thing, having only been around for a little over a year now.

When you do contact MOM, let us know how/what their recommendations were as we can always use the info here. All we have here are input by our regulars, hopefully you will become one as well. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

usa2sing

Post by usa2sing » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 9:25 am

sure thing!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 6:37 pm

Will you let us know what the reply is - be useful for future peeps who're in a similar situation.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 6:00 pm

*bump* for possible reply from usa2sing.

usa2sing

Post by usa2sing » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 6:06 am

Sorry for the late response,I have been quite busy getting things set.They finally approved my extension for approval letter but it was tough.You have to show proof of new employment via Fax,email and local mail.It is quite tough to trace your applciation since it is not a common request for them.I was told that it is totally upto the visa officer to approve or reject based on the individuals merit and so one should not presume that it will get approved for them..its like trying ur luck ..Let me know if anybody needs more info...

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:13 am

I'm going to apply for PEP. I qualify according to the website.

I made over 8,000 Sing in my last job a month, well over that, because I worked in Switzerland.

I have 8 years experience as an IT Business and Applications Analyst.

Still I want to provide notarized supporting documents upfront. I'm 35, single, American male, worked internationally before, worked for 3 Fortune 500s. I have a Master's degree, but unrelated to IT, and two bachelor's degrees (one in Information Systems and another in International Business Admin). All are from schools in America recognized by MOM (no distance learning stuff, only full-time on campus).

What do you guys think my chances are here?

Also I am still in Taiwan, will come to Singapore for 2-3 months this Saturday to look for work directly, instead of from Taiwan. I will get my documents notarized here. Do you think it is a good idea? Will they look poorly on a Taiwanese notary as compared to one at a U.S. Embassy?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:34 am

As long as they are notarized it should be okay.

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As long as they are notarized it should be okay.
I'm going to include notarized copies of:

1) Passport Info Page
2) Diplomas for all degrees
3) Transcript of undergraduate because I double majored and want this shown
4) Letter of recommendation from last employer.
5) last two paycheck stubs from my previous company.

Should I include a short CV or anything else?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:46 pm

I would add a CV too. I did that when I made my PEP application several years ago. The advice I got at the time was that the more (relevant) documentation the better, within reason of course. I also included a letter of recommendation.

Edit to add: Actually that was for my original EP application, and then later for my PR application. I was invited to apply for the PEP, so it was a different situation. But I think the general princple applies - a decent amount of good quality supporting documentation can do no harm, and will probably help.
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 4:38 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:Will they look poorly on a Taiwanese notary as compared to one at a U.S. Embassy?
The US embassy will only notarize copies of documents if they're for the IRS, and actual documents only if they're for use inside US jurisdiction:

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/notaries.html

So yeah, Taiwan will have to do. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 4:43 pm

Also, there are some useful tidbits on the bottom on what you may need to do to have a notarization 'authenticated'. I never did this for Singapore, only for Vietnam, but boy was it a pain in the ass. Nice whirlwind of trips between county records office, a notary, the CA SOS office, then Vietnamese consulate. Every step of the way taking their 'fee'... I think it was about US$500 for 5 or 6 documents by the end.

Anyway that's all off topic... The important thing which for you (which may screw you) is to see what kind of diplomatic representation Singapore has in Taiwan. The US has none, so you couldn't get a local Taiwanese notarization authenticated even if you wanted to, at least for the US. If Singapore has a consulate or embassy, I'd contact them.

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 6:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Also, there are some useful tidbits on the bottom on what you may need to do to have a notarization 'authenticated'. I never did this for Singapore, only for Vietnam, but boy was it a pain in the ass. Nice whirlwind of trips between county records office, a notary, the CA SOS office, then Vietnamese consulate. Every step of the way taking their 'fee'... I think it was about US$500 for 5 or 6 documents by the end.

Anyway that's all off topic... The important thing which for you (which may screw you) is to see what kind of diplomatic representation Singapore has in Taiwan. The US has none, so you couldn't get a local Taiwanese notarization authenticated even if you wanted to, at least for the US. If Singapore has a consulate or embassy, I'd contact them.
Not exactly accurate.

Very few folks have an embassy in Taiwan...Singapore doesn't call it an Embassy either. America has AIT, it is a de facto embassy:

http://www.ait.org.tw/en/

I got my passport renewed there and I got documents notarized there today (for a hefty fee of US$50). Taiwanese notaries won't do it because they can't notarize documents that are not translated into Chinese first. :oops: I found out all this today and went to AIT and got it done in 30 minutes.

Singapore has what they call a "Representative Office" for trade.

http://www.ait.org.tw/en/

It is a de facto embassy...

-George Bernard Shaw