Singapore Expats

singtel or starhub for home broadband

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 1:29 pm

durain wrote:
lukester wrote:It will really depend, cos Starhub uses cable, which is shared bandwidth among your apartment block residence, so if more people are using starhub then the slower it can be. Where are singtel uses dedicated phone line for data transfer.
cable or adsl, they are all shared bandwidth. the only dedicated line you gonna get is either a leased line or ISDN. all cable and adsl are shared on a contention ratio, typically 50:1. in a nut shell, a 8M line is shared between 50 users.
I have a 10MB with a million users or so it looks like :wink: Though i've given up worrying and accept the fact it's rubbish no matter what! A ping off the Island will be slow, bottle neck and filters for sure!
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 6:27 pm

ksl wrote:
durain wrote:
lukester wrote:It will really depend, cos Starhub uses cable, which is shared bandwidth among your apartment block residence, so if more people are using starhub then the slower it can be. Where are singtel uses dedicated phone line for data transfer.
cable or adsl, they are all shared bandwidth. the only dedicated line you gonna get is either a leased line or ISDN. all cable and adsl are shared on a contention ratio, typically 50:1. in a nut shell, a 8M line is shared between 50 users.
I have a 10MB with a million users or so it looks like :wink: Though i've given up worrying and accept the fact it's rubbish no matter what! A ping off the Island will be slow, bottle kneck and filters for sure!
Agreed, even if they roll out their 1GB access soon, the filters causing terrible pings and a dozen extra hops make it worthless for anybody needing a fast overseas connection, especially to Europe, the US seems better. Hold that thought! File sharers need the bandwidth, not the ping, so at least they stand to gain from it...
a.k.a. littlegreenman

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:38 pm

econoMIC wrote:
ksl wrote:
durain wrote: cable or adsl, they are all shared bandwidth. the only dedicated line you gonna get is either a leased line or ISDN. all cable and adsl are shared on a contention ratio, typically 50:1. in a nut shell, a 8M line is shared between 50 users.
I have a 10MB with a million users or so it looks like :wink: Though i've given up worrying and accept the fact it's rubbish no matter what! A ping off the Island will be slow, bottle neck and filters for sure!
Agreed, even if they roll out their 1GB access soon, the filters causing terrible pings and a dozen extra hops make it worthless for anybody needing a fast overseas connection, especially to Europe, the US seems better. Hold that thought! File sharers need the bandwidth, not the ping, so at least they stand to gain from it...
Surprisingly Taiwan was much better than Singapore for delivery services, even for customer service with over 5 times the population.The other half used to be assistant vice president, of a internet service provider, so I have the whole run down, though i never got any better service i can assure you :wink: But width is screwed up and down to please, and also to manipulate consumers to move up, economies of scale are more enforced, to maximise top $. Though like most industry there is a lack of consumer concern and normally Chinese would not loose face with complaining the majority that is.

I recall my problems with a push chair in Taiwan for my daughter, who was like 1 year old at the time, the push chair was finished after a week, they tried to tell me i didn't know how to push a push chair, and that it was me breaking it! I freaked out in the Japanese store more out of frustration, that they couldn't except the defect. In Taiwan the sidewalks are very bad for prams and push chairs, with kerb stones being over 1 ft high, so every time you pressed down on the handle, the whole cart would twist out of shape, they changed the pram 3 times and in the end gave me my money back, but i had to really press them, and my ace card was the threat of a online marketing campaign, they didn't want the risk, so gave me my money back.

They also told me that it wasn't feasible to take the pram in return, because they had purchased it in Korea, Not my problem i said, if I pay a significant amount of money, I want quality, not rubbish! besides It had a 1 year guarantee and we are talking less than 7 days use. My wife of course being Taiwanese would be far too embarrassed to complain, that's when she get her culture shock!

moonberrry

Post by moonberrry » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 4:24 pm

I had dinner recently with a friend who said his MIO (?) broadband service from Singtel is significantly faster than Starhub. (He had used Starhub before and switched).

Anyone else support this statement? I'm seriously thinking of making the switch but would like to hear your personal experiences, esp if you have used both providers. Thanks in advance!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 7:35 pm

When things are slow then is it definitely the apartment block/building that is acting as a bottleneck (too many users using the internet simultaneously) or could it possibly be that the internet infrastructure in general is inadequate (Singapore's link to the world)?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:06 pm

I am with Starhub and generally no complains. Basic package plus 2 HDTV settop boxes if this matters. In average local download speed 1-1.2MB/s what is more than I usually need. Uptime practically 100%. Holland area. 2 modems in 8 years :-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:16 pm

moonberrry wrote:I had dinner recently with a friend who said his MIO (?) broadband service from Singtel is significantly faster than Starhub. (He had used Starhub before and switched).

Anyone else support this statement? I'm seriously thinking of making the switch but would like to hear your personal experiences, esp if you have used both providers. Thanks in advance!
Bye-Bye spammer/advertiser. :wave:

It was bad enough that you were doing a long-winded advertising campaign for a certain Aesthetics Doctor here, who will unfortunately remain unnamed for the foreseeable future (all 4 posts have been deleted) and I might have let it go at that but now this one, considering your have made ALL YOUR POSTS using Singtel's MaxOnline, (not Starhub as you have claimed) kinda shows us what you really are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

oonkoonbei

Post by oonkoonbei » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:52 am

i am waiting for the laptop promo from singtel to get the macbook ..

Tas Burrfoot

Post by Tas Burrfoot » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 2:33 am

I just signed up with Starhub and so far it has been good...
My Misadventures... - trips in and around Southeast Asia

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 6:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: You've got through a lot of hops to get there, as well as passing thru the gahmen's censor servers.
Just had to google to know the meaning for the singlish word :)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 4:42 pm

I'm wondering if Singtel will do a last-minute deal with Starhub concerning rights to the EPL. They really paid over the roof for the rights, so is there any chance that they will wait until the last minute (once they get all the "converts" they can) and allow Starhub to share the $$$ burden? :)

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:53 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote: [...]
It may or may not be worthwhile for you to consider that I just put SingTel ADSL on 2Mbps plan into an office in the city - 10 PC's, heavy file transfers etc., and they have experienced little to no problems. However, that is a BUSINESS plan, and you pay for it accordingly!
[...]
Based on what Singtel wrote me, the only difference between Bizlink and home broadband is that in Bizlink you get a set of 14 static IP, while home broadband users a dynamic IP. It could be that Bizlink clients get some more priorities and maybe even a direct ATM connection (like Magix users) but this hasn't been pointed out. At least they get 24 hour support service if I am not mistaken.

Price wise it is expensive. 10 Mbit/s comes at $789 / month. I would understand paying 2-3 times more than home broadband for certain benefits such as: fixed IP, direct ATM connection, 24h support. But 15 times more?!

As for the internet operators in Singapore, it also depends on which sites one visit. Only Singtel has a direct connections with Europe as far as I noticed, while others route the traffic through US.

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:28 pm

Question: Do you need a FIN number to sign up for these services? Basically trying to sign up for a TV and broadband package but FIN application is still pending.

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:34 pm

Wellman wrote:Question: Do you need a FIN number to sign up for these services? Basically trying to sign up for a TV and broadband package but FIN application is still pending.
You don't need but then you have to pay some deposits: $400 for the internet + $200 for the MIO TV box if I am not mistaken.

saltwater

Post by saltwater » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 9:39 am

Want to add my two cents worth on this one... we recently moved in around Bukit Timah / Balmoral area and signed up to Starhub Maxonline service. On occasions the download speed is ok maybe up to 1mps, but a lot of the time, and especially at night, download speeds are painfully slow - often between 2-10kps, or not downloading anything at all. A dial-up modem would often be faster we also got a mobile broadband thing which we use, and brings speeds up to 20-30kps, but really, why should we have to resort to using mobile broadband when we pay good money for cable?

Very frustrating, especially given we're signed up on a contract.

My suggestion would be, if their network cannot handle too many users at once they should cap the usage to 1mps so everyone gets a fair go rather than advertise "up to 16mps download speed" which is clearly rubbish.