Singapore Expats Forum

Sin Citizen/AU PR or AU Citizen

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:38 pm

Jeppo wrote:
Splatted wrote:This visa sticker that states my wife can reside indefinitely in Australia, upon it's expiry (or upon our reapplication for a new one) in 5 years time, the Australian Department of Immigration will review her residency status and take it away if they think she hasn't lived in Australia long enough?

Or is it take away her freedom to leave Australia at her choosing, without relinquishing her PR status?

Is that how it works?


Are you an Aussie? If so, then I don't think you need to worry. In the last 5 years my wife and I (I'm an Aussie) have spent no more than 1 month in Aus, and she renewed her entry permit at the end of last year with no problem at all, took less than 1 week to get the new sticker.

I believe the others are talking about skilled migration and not PR based on family ties which tend to have different criteria.


Thanks Jeppo. Yes, I hold an Australian Citizenship.

So your 2nd sticker still states 'indefinitely" on it, or has it been replaced with a date?

My understanding was that all PR's were equal in Australia regardless of how or what avenue they were obtained. Does anyone have any first-hand info to the contrary?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 5:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 5:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed, 14 Mar 2007
Contact:

Postby Jeppo » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 5:28 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Confirming to what I understand as Jeppo said your wife need to be in the country for a month to get the permit renewed.


Based on what you've previously said, I think you misunderstood me. My wife spent a total of 1 month in Aus over a 5 year period, ie. 2 X 2 week trips equalling approximately 1 month, not a month a year, or even in one year. As far as the dates, the PR is unlimited but the re-entry needs to be renewed every 5 years, I think, have to double check that but the original one was for 5 years and I don't think it changed.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:06 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:07 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:15 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
Based on what you've previously said, I think you misunderstood me. My wife spent a total of 1 month in Aus over a 5 year period, ie. 2 X 2 week trips equalling approximately 1 month, not a month a year, or even in one year. As far as the dates, the PR is unlimited but the re-entry needs to be renewed every 5 years, I think, have to double check that but the original one was for 5 years and I don't think it changed.


Jeppo , My bad. I was referring to something else.
But you need to be in the country though to get it renewed. The reentry permit will coincide with the residence permit. If you have a revalid residence permit , you will get renewed reentry permit. This only applies if you are leaving OZ and need the reentry permit to reenter OZ back again.


I'm not too sure if this is correct. Certainly the Australian Consulate in Singapore have the facilities to re-issue visa stickers, as in our case where my wife had to renew her Singapore passport.

It's certainly a question worth ringing the consulate over to find out.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:36 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 8:06 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Splatted wrote:I'm not too sure if this is correct. Certainly the Australian Consulate in Singapore have the facilities to re-issue visa stickers, as in our case where my wife had to renew her Singapore passport.

It's certainly a question worth ringing the consulate over to find out.


I too not sure about this BUT when my SG passport expires, we went back and renewed it in SG after we got the new passports, we went to the embassy and have them transfer our current valid residence permit and reentry permit to the new passports for a fee.


Strange - the Australian consulate re-issued the sticker free-of-charge for us.

Was yours about to expire?

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 4:09 pm

Splatted wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
Based on what you've previously said, I think you misunderstood me. My wife spent a total of 1 month in Aus over a 5 year period, ie. 2 X 2 week trips equalling approximately 1 month, not a month a year, or even in one year. As far as the dates, the PR is unlimited but the re-entry needs to be renewed every 5 years, I think, have to double check that but the original one was for 5 years and I don't think it changed.


Jeppo , My bad. I was referring to something else.
But you need to be in the country though to get it renewed. The reentry permit will coincide with the residence permit. If you have a revalid residence permit , you will get renewed reentry permit. This only applies if you are leaving OZ and need the reentry permit to reenter OZ back again.


I'm not too sure if this is correct. Certainly the Australian Consulate in Singapore have the facilities to re-issue visa stickers, as in our case where my wife had to renew her Singapore passport.

It's certainly a question worth ringing the consulate over to find out.


More confusing . . .

The way I understand it:

If your wife has been outside of Australia for 4 years and 11 months then the renewal time will be minimal, i.e. not another five years, if at all.

What the Australian government, quite rightly, wants to avoid is people using Australian PR for convenience purposes only. The purpose of granting PR is residing in and contributing to Australia.

The way I see it this is correct. One shouldn't be able to have the advantages of being an Aussie PR without contributing to the country.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35311
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 4:13 pm

which is the same POV that the Singapore gov't uses.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:08 pm

Vaucluse wrote:The way I understand it:

If your wife has been outside of Australia for 4 years and 11 months then the renewal time will be minimal, i.e. not another five years, if at all.


Hi Vaucluse,

Do you know this first hand, or even know someone that had this issue first hand?

I can't seem to find any information that addresses this on the department of immigration site.

I do recall when actually visiting the head office the reception totalling the number of days another person had lived in Australia (they had all the info easily accessible on their computer system). However, this person was a temporary visa holder. Temporary visa holders have to reside for a full 2 years in Australia before being reviewed and then subsequently granted a permanent visa.

But I haven't read or come across anything that suggest those with permanent visa's still have to go through the same thing.

Not that it's an issue for my wife. She's working in Australia right now. But it'd be nice to know for certain.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3462
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 9:45 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:25 am

Splatted wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:The way I understand it:

If your wife has been outside of Australia for 4 years and 11 months then the renewal time will be minimal, i.e. not another five years, if at all.


Hi Vaucluse,

Do you know this first hand, or even know someone that had this issue first hand?

.


First hand, Splatted.

Mad Scientist wrote:
UNLess you are not going out of OZ permanently then you do not need the reentry permit.


Correct

SMS wrote:
which is the same POV that the Singapore gov't uses.


Quite rightly so, I believe
......................................................



'nuff said Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest