Singapore Expats

local primary schools

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
becca68

local primary schools

Post by becca68 » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 8:06 am

We are trying to get our 7 year old daughter in to a local school Bedok/Tanah marah area. It all seems very hard at the moment!!! Can anyone give us advice on best ways to aprroach this and how long waiting lists can be?? :???:
Thanx

fristromcan

Post by fristromcan » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:13 am

As term has started, I don't think there is a "waiting-list" as such. What is likely is that for the less popular schools, there are vacancy. I don't think there is a short cut except to call the schools to find out as I am not sure whether MOE can help.

Alternatively, one world International School is close to your place, and they are not likely to have a waiting list.

Good luck!

becca68

Post by becca68 » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks.

tiyalynn

Public school difficult

Post by tiyalynn » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:09 am

Hi Becca I am new to singapore and trying to get my son 10yrs old into the public school system let me know how you make out in that area as we do have to move in a month and would like keep my location options open for now...

I did visit Jurong Primary school as we have a friend whos son goes to that school, it is a really nice school but they told me there was a waiting list, so I know what you mean about difficulty...

Well good luck and please keep me posted on the process if you get her in before my son gets into one and vice versa :)

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 5:59 pm

Just give them a call and ask! :) There are so many rumors flying around it's best to check straight with the school. I think you'll find most will be very helpful. Plus, make sure you go and visit the schools that have spots available in your child's grade.

Good luck! Hope you find something close by!

happy mom

Re: local primary schools

Post by happy mom » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:52 am

becca68 wrote:We are trying to get our 7 year old daughter in to a local school Bedok/Tanah marah area. It all seems very hard at the moment!!! Can anyone give us advice on best ways to aprroach this and how long waiting lists can be?? :???:
Thanx
Hi,
My daughter goes to Opera Estate primary School, near siglap and Bedok mrt.
The people in the general office are very kind and friendly, and there are many expat children. I hope you have luck.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 8:02 am

This is the second time I've heard good things about Opera Estate Primary. Seems like their front office people are really on the ball! That can make a lot of different--esp to Expats since we have so many questions Singaporeans seem to already know the answers to.

Good luck, and let us know how the search plays out!

Chey10

Post by Chey10 » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:30 pm

so did your child manage to get into the public school?
i have a friend that is having the same problem also

snowychef

Post by snowychef » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 1:07 pm

You can try writing to the school Principal... :-) Most of their email addresses can be found on the school website.

Usually, the waiting list for good schools can be very long.

Good luck and all the best. :-)

thanksbd

Post by thanksbd » Thu, 05 May 2011 10:00 pm

Can try this link - "http://www.singapore-school.com/"
Will be able to get the contact info for the schools. :lol:
Regards,
Thanksbd

Dalia

Post by Dalia » Mon, 29 Aug 2011 1:24 am

boffenl wrote:Just give them a call and ask! :) There are so many rumors flying around it's best to check straight with the school. I think you'll find most will be very helpful. Plus, make sure you go and visit the schools that have spots available in your child's grade.

Good luck! Hope you find something close by!
hi boffenl

I have found your posts very very helpful, thank you for posting

I have also noticed that you have stressed out several times to go and visit the school. Is there a big difference between schools? How do I know which one is good?

We haven't moved to SG yet, but will do so soon. We will also be on the budget so we'll have to move far from the CBD (like EW2). Is there a problem if we live close to one school and go to another? How far can we go? Are there school buses or do I have to take my child to school?

thank you
Croatia

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Mon, 29 Aug 2011 8:45 am

Hi Dalia,

The visit to the school is really important. First, it shows the staff (principal) that you're sincerely interested in a spot there for your child. Secondly, you can get a "feel" for the school--do the kids run around like crazy people, how many staff do you see walking around, do the kids seem happy? and thirdly, the visit will allow you to have a better way to judge between your options.

I loved all three local schools we visited--I was amazed at the facilities (better than my small college in the US) and pleased with the level of staff involvement too.

What will your residency status be? I assume you and your kids will be on dependent passes--you'll need to go to each school and ask to get on their wait list. Plus, if your kids start mid-year they may need to take the new exam for incoming students. I haven't had any experience with that (personally or friends) so I can't be very helpful.

Good luck--let us know which schools you settle on!

happy red

Post by happy red » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 1:44 pm

Hello! My son is 2 years old now. Should I put him in waiting list of local school already? :o

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 8:57 am

Um, no. There is no waiting list for local schools. It's changes a bit in the last few years, but read through the Ministry of Education website for the rules--they vary if you're on a workpass, a permanent resident or citizen.

Dalia

Post by Dalia » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 1:22 am

we are also out of luck, so far my son is on the waiting list in 5 schools, and I still plan to visit few more schools.
Don't know what will I do if he doesn't get in :?
Croatia