Singapore Expats

What are my chances of getting an EP?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
fkfk

Post by fkfk » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 8:02 am

hey, my status has been changed to shorter one: pending (only). does this signify anything??? he he..... am going nuts over this.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 9:24 am

fkfk wrote:hey, my status has been changed to shorter one: pending (only). does this signify anything??? he he..... am going nuts over this.
Your chances are 50/50 i would think!

fkfk

Post by fkfk » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:16 am

make it 51/49 favorable. just got it. cheers.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:05 am

Congratulations. See all that stressing was for naught! Seriously, don't sweat the small stuff. It'll give you hypertension later on in life - I know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kca0804

Post by kca0804 » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 2:37 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple - I'm hoping you can help me with my question. I'm here on a DP and currently working (for 7 months). My employer hasn't applied for my LOC. What are the consequences for me? I know it's the employer's responsibility, but someone at MOM said they hold both parties responsible.
Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 3:11 pm

I would suggest you stop working immediately! It's not just the employer's responsibility. You will be held liable as noted. Both you and the employer will be construed as colluding to circumvent government policy. Not good. If you get caught, your butt will be out of Singapore so fast it will make your head spin. (After your release from remand).

Seriously, tell the employer to apply for a Letter of Consent ASAP, or quit working before somebody drops the ball (sounds like the best bet if the employer won't even apply for the LoC as it costs them nothing, not even any levy).

Just to give you an idea, yesterday evening around 5:30pm I received an anonymous email from one of my field staff (S pass holder) regarding another of my field staff (also S pass) pointing out that this staff is working in a restaurant at nights. He is threatening to go to MOM and rat out the guy. Why? Who knows? They are countrymen and are all on the same S passes. So, I had to issue a warning letter last night telling the guy to cease and desist or we would terminate him and cancel his pass with immediate effect.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kca0804

Post by kca0804 » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

I have asked them to apply and told them I won't sign my new contract without the LOC. Now, how does all this work for taxes? I have not made enough to be taxed in Singapore, but I believe I still need to declare my income. Don't I need the LOC to declare taxes? Will that pose additional problems?

I really want to do this the right way. It doesn't sound like I am off to a good start! I just assumed (stupidly) that it was the employer's responsibility and that they wouldn't risk getting into trouble with the gov't. Not the best of ideas, I have ever had! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 5:33 pm

kca0804 wrote:Not the best of ideas, I have ever had! :)
That is the understatement of the day..... :-|

If you file a tax return you are telling them you are working illegally. I have my doubts that you have been paid via GIRO into your bank account. Actually, if you were paid in any financial instrument at all, I'll bet they were "cash" cheques, if not hard cash. I cannot advise you and you are going to have to use your own discretion here as I cannot tell you not to report it and if you do report it could seal your doom as well. Let your conscious be your guide but tempered by some common sense as well. :-|

kca0804

Post by kca0804 » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:47 pm

Got it! I received an answer from my HR. I do have an approval from MOE (to teach English) and HR says it's sufficient. Do you know if that's true? I am going to go to MOM tomorrow and ask a few 'hypothetical' questions.

Thanks again for your help!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:09 pm

It should be sufficient, but I would ask them for a copy of the Letter of Consent just to be on the safe side. You can tell them that you need a copy of it for your own personal employment file. There is nothing wrong with you having a copy and by rights you should have a copy of it as well as your letter of appointment or employment contract (whichever one they use).

sms

kca0804

Post by kca0804 » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 3:39 pm

Hi! I thought you may be interested in an update. I went to MOM today and they confirmed that I need an LOC and MOE is not sufficient enough. My company has also told me that they didn't apply for the LOC. They are applying and I am not working until they have approval. BIG lesson learned...never be naive, especially in a foreign country. Same company also hired teachers on SVP and never applied for an EP. I also can't imagine why the company is willing to take the risks themselves.

Thanks, SMS, for your help and advice!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 4:46 pm

Glad you were able to get it sorted without any damage to you personally.

sms

ceej1979
Regular
Regular

Post by ceej1979 » Fri, 26 Feb 2010 9:27 pm

shaziakj wrote:now my EP status says "pending input from vetting agencies". My job is of a Business Manager and does not fall under the category of occupations that require vetting etc. then why? secondly, what are these vetting agencies?

You have to remember that they advise to wait about 7-10 days anyway. Some decisions are very quick (mine was 48 hours), but you have to accept that it will take as long as it takes.

By the way, ALL applications are investigated by vetting agencies as far as I'm aware.

They have to check lots of things to deem you safe to let into the country. As far as I'm aware, they will almost certainly checK:

1: That you graduates from the university you stated
2: That you don't have a criminal record
3: That your financial records are OK. As in, you haven't gone bankrupt, or owned a company that has went into liquidation
4: That you are actually working for the company you quote at the iminute