Singapore Expats

Melbourne not safe for students, India warns

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:09 am

Another article to stir the pot further....

http://www.theage.com.au/national/india ... -njxk.html

common sense, or ridiculous advice? you be the judge...

utopia
Regular
Regular

Post by utopia » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 6:22 am

It's a fact of life in Australia that it is a dangerous country, depending on the suburb you go to.

In 2003 I was in Melbourne. I remember looking at the train map and voiced to a local there that I was thinking of taking a train to explore a suburb that was 'off the beaten trail' - his factual reply was that in that train station/suburb there was a pretty good chance I'll be mugged/beaten by the druggies there.
During that same trip I was flipping through their local newspapers and buried in the middle pages was a 1-inch article that a bank had been robbed yesterday.
Contrast that with saying you'll take the MRT to any station in Singapore, or the coverage a bank robbery would have.

So yes, as a tourist, or a person living in a upper-middle class suburb in Australia, it's relatively safe - comparable to the average level of safety in Singapore.

However, the safety levels in lower-class suburbs are closer to Johor. the main difference being if your assailant/murderer was caught : in Johor; he's be really sorry or dead, whereas in Australia he's probably probably not get convicted, and even if he was, he'll probably get a slap on the wrist and given another 'fair go'

As for the racism and targeting of Indians, yes, that's what criminals do, a soft easy target is generally preferred over a harder one, and criminals are capable of using racial profiling as well as anyone else.Welcome to the real world.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 7:15 am

Utopia, you still don't get it do you.

All Mr. Overland was pointing out is good advice, regardless of your ethnicity. You don't drive a taxi late at night dripping in gold & rolexes and wearing designer clothes. Common Sense. You don't walk home by yourself dressed in similar fashion late at night for the same reason. And you don't take jobs in depressed areas in late night convenience stores. Doesn't matter what you race is, in those places and those time with those habits, it doesn't matter who you are, you are a victim of opportunity.

The problem is, it seems that indians tend to not have a lot of common sense and opt for those jobs in larger numbers that others shun out of common sense. Therefore, more indians get hit, only because of the numbers of them doing those jobs. I though indian were supposed to be so smart? Why can't they under this simple fact, instead of trying to play the victim? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:30 am

Besides, it is so easy to demonize situation in any other country having as the only one or long term experience Singapore. Safety in Malaysia including JB is on an average level. Nothing to be worry about if you use the said common sense.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 9:28 am

x9200, I worked all over Indonesia for 12 years from '82~'94. I stayed in towns as big as Jakarta & as small as Kupang in Timor. I also stayed in Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea, probably one of the most dangerous places in S.E.Asia. I had no problems at all, although common sense there is definitely a necessity with the roving gangs in the backs of 14 footers carrying rifles, shotguns, parangs & changkuls. When you are told to stay out of certain areas after the sun starts setting, you do as you are told. Full Stop.

I've been in lots of towns where common sense MUST take priority. Baltimore City, Maryland is another one as was Houston at one time (don't know about today although SE would). Common sense tells me that there are areas that one does not venture into at certain times. It also tells me not to flash "wealth" in the wrong areas. In Manila one can have their arm hacked off at a traffic light in broad daylight should you be foolish enough to wear a rolex and have your window rolled down. Hell, my boss, when coming over for a crew change when I was an administrator for a seismic survey vessel, when out drinking in Labuan, Malaysia and got held up for a big gold rope necklace he was wearing while he was walking home from the bar alone. Course, maybe that's why, even with all my travels, I'm still around in one piece.

In all my years of traveling I've only been in the wrong place and the wrong time once. And my troubles were with the authorities and not the undesirable elements (actually they are the undesirable elements). That was when I crew changed into Balikpapan in East Kalimantan on the morning after Libya was bombed by the US. I just couldn't convince them that I didn't have anything to do with what the US military did (Damn blue passport with an eagle on the front!) After standing in the centre of the local police station for 8 hours, Caltex finally realized they were one short on the crew change. When they came to the police station to report a missing person, lo & behold, there I was. They got me out finally. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:26 am

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:39 am

'nuff said Image

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Post by moloch71 » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:51 am

tony abbott is the opposition leader (for now), and it is his job to cast aspersion on anything the government does and its perceived failures.

Im sure if the government spent money on improving the police force he would find yet another way to try to score political points from a contentious issue.

This should not be seen as an admission of insecurity, but misdirected criticism of efforts to try to put the matter into better perspective.
Moloch horridus - Australian horny devil lizard, exceptional specimens have been found measuring 8 inches.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:01 am

Vaucluse wrote: How boring to just post a link without commenting . . . but ok:
Yeah, I was initially going to express disgust at my tax payer dollars being spent on first class flights and 5 star accommodation for journalists that are still only going to rubbish Melbourne when they get back, but I thought it would detract from the theme of the thread.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 1:29 pm

Splatted wrote:
Vaucluse wrote: How boring to just post a link without commenting . . . but ok:
Yeah, I was initially going to express disgust at my tax payer dollars being spent on first class flights and 5 star accommodation for journalists that are still only going to rubbish Melbourne when they get back, but I thought it would detract from the theme of the thread.
I see it as Abbot trying to make some political points . . . and quite rightly so, by criticising the awful waste of taxpayer's money for these 'journalists'.

Pollies, can't love 'em, can't shoot 'em

'nuff said Image

moloch71
Regular
Regular

Post by moloch71 » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 1:59 pm

didnt i kinda mention the political point scoring already vaucluse - what am i, invisible ?? :???:
Moloch horridus - Australian horny devil lizard, exceptional specimens have been found measuring 8 inches.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 2:15 pm

Sorry mate, yes you did and I skipped ahead to Splatted's response and didn't see yours.

My apologies . . . we share the same opinion . . .

'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 4:31 pm

Just throwing my two cents in.....The problem with cities like Melbourne and Sydney is the rising crime rate especially in selected neighbourhoods. ... These crimes occur regardless of race. Just a couple of weeks ago a Chinese man was knifed to death during his usual walks in 'sleepy' Perth. The Chinese community did not shout 'racism' like the Indians, they know that 'shit' happens.

There are after-all idiots in every nation. Speaking from experience as a Malaysian in Australia , I have not once felt threatened or unsafe or being subjected to racial abuse and 95+% of my mates are Anglo Aussies. I took the effort to integrate myself into mainstream Australia...Learned Aussie Rules, even forced myself to understand cricket (still don't get it), watched union and league games. It helped that I am a sports nut:lol: so much so now people don't even bother to ask where I am from, they assume I am local.

Going on a tangent, problem with a lot of the Indians here especially the newbies is that they don't integrate. I always hear them speak Hindi and when they speak English, its horrible. I knew this one guy who has been here for 8 years ,yet his communication skills are still poor. He still speaks with a heavy Indian accent . He was applying for customer service jobs and claimed racism for his failure in landing the jobs. Racism my &*(% ! Poor communication skills is the reason not racism :mad: ......Okay.... Rant Over! ....

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:37 pm

Well God only knows what the media reaction will be over the murder of the little Indian boy. The suburb of Sunshine in Melbourne is already the brunt of much ridicule and derision. It's avery poor working class area and will gain even more notoriety with this news. But not anywhere as bad as that of Melbourne itself. This incident comes close on the heels of the visit by Foreign Affairs Minister Stephen Smith to India. His efforts to smooth relationships between India and Oz will have been a waste of time now.
This death and the publicity that will accompany it will probably be the nail in the coffin for Melbourne with regard to foreign students from India and with regard to its racist tag. I can only hope that the murder has some aspect of a 'domestic' to it...but somehow I don't think so. Sigh........
And as an Aussie from Melbourne I've just got to say that I'm absolutely embarrassed and appalled :(
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 4:14 am

Please allow me to join the fun

Question
Which country murder their PM the most ?
Answer : India
Maybe I am wrong but if I can recall there were at least 4 asassinations

Before revhappy start to cop about Indian being targetted, have pity to the Muslims, Jews , the African American back in the 60s and so on.

There will always be some nut cases doing some stupid stuff anywhere. Hell, when I was in South Africa in the 80s, I was told not to cross the field thru the gate that divide the company that was separated by a fence.
One side of the factory is Zulu tribe ANC and the other was IFP.
You will be hack if you go across thru the fence. It took 1 hour to go around it thru security checks. Even the Afrikaans dare not go thru the field.
Just be smart if you value your life,
Monkey see , monkey do !! :cool: