Singapore Expats

Dogs welcome?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Bayer

Dogs welcome?

Post by Bayer » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 2:55 am

We are on our way to Singapore! We will be bringing our three dogs and are curious to know if its a pet-friendly place? Are they allowed on public transport (if we don't get a car), is it o.k to walk them in parks/in neighbourhoods? Anyone know of dog-sitters/kennels if we go away for a few days?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Dogs welcome?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 6:45 am

Bayer wrote:We are on our way to Singapore! We will be bringing our three dogs and are curious to know if its a pet-friendly place? Not really.
Are they allowed on public transport (if we don't get a car)No but some taxi's as long as the driver isn't a Malay/Muslim,
is it o.k to walk them in parks/in neighbourhoods? Yes as long as they are leashed and you must clean up behind them.
Anyone know of dog-sitters/kennels if we go away for a few days? Yes
Had you done a search of this forum you would have found most of the questions already answered here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 9:43 am

You will be very, very limited on where you can stay with 3 dogs. I hope you have a big housing budget, because I think you're going to need a big house! Truthfully, most landlords who allow pets limit it to one yapper. Singapore's dog culture is way behind and most locals believe small dogs are good for small spaces regardless that 1000 years of careful breeding says otherwise. Three dogs is way outside most local comfort zones.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:05 am

Yes you are limited on where you live with 3 dogs. Not that LL don't allow it but it will be unfair to house 3 dogs in an apartment - NOT local culture or belief.

You didn't say which breeds you are bringing in but best to check out www.ava.gov.sg for more information.

Plenty of parks in the east and west coast areas. Lots of people around walking dogs as long as they are leashed. Certain breeds need to be muzzled (although not many do it).
Just me

DazzleBabe

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:00 pm

It is slightly annoying how far behind the times some people can be here in Sing – I have a Yellow Lab, who is the most playful thing you will ever meet… However some people when you walk past them on the footpath recoil in fear when she wags her tail – as if she was a Rott or Pitt, held by a hoodie, about to attack…

At first I thought it was pretty funny, now it is starting to annoy me a lot… Firstly are they that unaware that a Lab on a leash is not a killer… Second do they really think that if she was that way inclined, as a dog owner, would I really allow my dog to maul them as I stood and watched…

I fully understand the religion side of it… But if you are unable to be touched by dogs for that reason… Why come up to my dog, stick a camera in her face, then recoil in shock when she motions to lick your hand…

I will stop now as this rant could go on…

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:20 pm

I've had the same experience here for the last 15 years. I have had the good fortune to have two beautiful Labs ~ the definition of good-natured, friendly and well-behaved. The lengths people go to to avoid them is at times funny other times just plain dangerous (like leaping off the sidewalk in front of a bus). It's a different culture, I get it ~ but they sure don't. Their fear is just plain irrational.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:46 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Their fear is just plain irrational.
So, I have had some thoughts on this – I was wondering if there is an Asian equivalent of a nursery rhyme that depicted dogs as killers, or child eaters in some way… It’s the only way I can understand why so many people are that scared of them???

Also, it does make me laugh when you get a grown man who whimpers and screams out loud… Of course in the UK you get men that are scared of dogs, but they do try and style it out a bit and just speed up slightly without making it too obvious… Here there is no such macho behaviour – they openly scream and run like little girls…

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 1:11 pm

Culturally, aren't big dogs really livestock? The only reason they don't eat 'em here is the Gov't has banned it.

You think they are scared of yellow labs. Try having a big black sooner of a dog like I did for 14 years here (bout the size of a lab but not the bulk). Pure spasms of panic! Except for the little toddlers, who, much to the fright of the parent, run up to her and throw their arms around her neck! :lol: Black dogs scare the hell out of locals - devil dogs? I donno?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 6:16 pm

AndyD wrote: when you get a grown man who whimpers and screams out loud...Here there is no such macho behaviour – they openly scream and run like little girls…
(emphasis mine)

So anyone want company while walking their big dog? I'm bringing a camera!

I'm guessing that's what you get when you're 60 and still have a nanny :P :twisted:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 7:40 am

our dog missy a labretriever gets that reaction alot..the owners pick their dogs up and carry them. even a husky in our neighborhood isnt allowed to come near our dog. sad sad...

shimmeringlilies

Re: Dogs welcome?

Post by shimmeringlilies » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 3:36 pm

Bayer wrote:We are on our way to Singapore! We will be bringing our three dogs and are curious to know if its a pet-friendly place? Are they allowed on public transport (if we don't get a car), is it o.k to walk them in parks/in neighbourhoods? Anyone know of dog-sitters/kennels if we go away for a few days?
I've heard of mentions of a pet hotel out in the east coast. could try looking that up. I am going to be shipping my baby in as well but I just find it awful that it had to be with customs for a month's quarantine. so i'm still thinking about it...

obscurum

Post by obscurum » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 9:45 am

hi, i'm local, have dogs for about 8 yrs now and can't say that Singapore is a dog friendly place, unless you minus the ridiculous behavior of most locals and housing rules for dogs.

1) staying in a stated owned apartment would be a complete no no as you can only have ONE approved small breed

2) licensing and micro chipping part is acceptable but doesn't help when your dog really gets lost, I have lost 1 so far, which i guess might either been roadkill or killed to be eaten cuz it's a black dog

3) as for walking them in public, my personal experience is that 5/10 on the street would rather jay walk across to the other side rather than come face to face with dogs

i often make them sit on the grass beside the footpath when there is a big crowd, allowing them to pass before continuing our journey.

but despite the graciousness often i would still come across jackasses who would tell you to watch your dog despite them being on leashes...

even meeting local dog owners is such a contrast to when meeting an expat dog owner. i find expat dog owners friendlier , same goes for their dogs :)

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 9:57 am

obscurum wrote:even meeting local dog owners is such a contrast to when meeting an expat dog owner. i find expat dog owners friendlier , same goes for their dogs :)
This is very true – whenever we meet other dogs owned by locals, my dog wants to be a dog and play, tumble, run, fight, even put jaws round each others necks… If it gets serious you can easily tell from the noise, or one dog will nip another to let them know they have crossed the line – then its done, its just playtime… Locals in my experience have no clue that this is what’s dogs do, and they pull their dogs very quickly away when anything other than a sniff occurs… Real shame…

Sundaybrunch

Post by Sundaybrunch » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 4:56 pm

Hi. I am Singaporean and most of my local friends & myself love dogs. I always want to pet dogs I see on the street. I used to have a dog, but since it died 12 years ago, I've been too heartbroken to get another one. I'm a 1 dog woman =)

In my area, most foreigners especially women glare at me when I look at their dogs, so I just go on my way.

AndyD, Morenangpinay, labs r adorable!! Not all Singaporeans are like that. My Singaporean friend has a black lab - he's so cute & naughty and her family loves him!! And I used to make excuses to visit to play with him. Have faith...

Ollielabby

Post by Ollielabby » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 3:06 pm

I'm Singaporean and my husband and I have this gorgeous cream coloured Labrador who's now 2yr 4 months... he's the sweetest thing. There isn't anyone in the neighbourhood who doesn't know him.

And like every dog owner here, I'd be so glad to have a chance to bring him out with me everywhere I go. While holidaying in Paris and Rome, we saw people taking their dogs everywhere: shopping malls, restaurants, and even public buses!

Here, I've heard parents who tell their kids when they see my dog (he's a big boy): he'd bite you!

its so frustrating.