Singapore Expats

Play groups and pre schools

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
mariam

Post by mariam » Tue, 03 May 2005 12:11 am

Hi. just relocated to Singapore two weeks ago. We have a 17 month baby. Are there any pre schools or play groups that she can attend in the Ochard area?. In need of advice and recommendations. Thanx.

beenhere10years

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 03 May 2005 6:19 am

Welcome! It's not exactly a play group, but Gymboree is at Tanglin Mall. I think there is Kindermusic too.

chocolatefrog

Playgroup

Post by chocolatefrog » Wed, 04 May 2005 9:19 pm

There is a playgroup at St Georges Church (Minden Rd, near the British, Aust ,Amerian Embassy) for your childs age. It is a regular playgroup where you stay with your child and get to sit and chat with other Mum's and Dad's (no maids). I have a 2 year old and we go on Wednesday morning. It goes from about 10 to 11.30am, he loves it, just like our playgroup at home. www.stgeorges.org.sg Not religious or anything. :D

abc

Post by abc » Wed, 04 May 2005 9:50 pm

Forum (shopping mall in Orchard Road), there is a "Julia Gabliel". Very good playgroup program but not cheap.

kloo

Post by kloo » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:47 am

Hi Chocolatefrog

How do u join in the playgroup at St George's church? Just walk in? Do u need to pay any fee?

Thanks.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:32 pm

There are "Mother and Child" groups at the Canadian International School. (Toh Tuck Road) My kids love going there - unstructured generally, with some music time and snack time. There's heaps for the kids to do. Generally a fun morning.

tanglinexpatwife

Post by tanglinexpatwife » Thu, 07 May 2009 4:41 pm

Lots of options:

1. Monday afternoon breastfeeding cafe at Mother & Child on level 3 of Tanglin Mall.
2. Monday 10-11am open play at JWT Gym on level 2 of UE Square shopping centre (by River Valley Road) $50 for 6 sessions.
3. Classes for toddlers at My Gym (running around), Busy Buddies (playgroup) and Rhythm in Me (music) at Grace Kids on level 3 of Great World City shopping centre. If you attend classes, you can go to open play at My Gym on Fridays all day for free.
4. Classes for toddlers at Gymboree on level 3 of Tanglin Mall - and they also have open play but it is more expensive.
5. Playgroups at St George's Church 10-11.30am on Wednesday morning (not religious).
6. My favourite place: Royce Kids Gym on level 2 of Liang Court Shopping Centre on River Valley Road at Clarke Quay - open play all day from 10am. $50 annual fee then $10 or an hour
7. Classes for toddlers at Little Gym in Forum shopping centre on Orchard Road (running around)
8. Music classes at Kindermusik on level 3 of Tanglin Mall
9. Go go Bambinis at Dempsey Hill - indoor playground -
10. Fidgets at Turf City - indoor playground
11. Centre Stage at for playgroup at 15 Woking Road near Tanglin Trust School
12. Julia Gabriel for playgroup on level 4 of Forum shopping centre on Orchard Road
13. Playdays for playgroup in Clementi area at 41 Sunset Way. Drop off from 18 months.
14. White Lodge at Loewen Gardens near Dempsey Hill for playgroup
15. EtonHouse pre-school on Orchard Boulevard

melody7355

Post by melody7355 » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:32 pm

I agreed . Royce Kids Gym on level 2 of Liang Court Shopping Centre is nice and clean and safe. I frequent the gym at least once per week but is moving away from that area very soon. But I still have lots of that gym fun play ticket with no expiry dates. Any one if keen to purchase $100 value ticket for 10 hours at $80.

hbw65
Regular
Regular

Post by hbw65 » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:20 pm

anyone know where Royce's moving to?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:50 pm

I think she meant she is moving - not Royce. Royce is relatively new so would be weird if they were moving so soon.

sunshinekdb

Would love to buy the Tickets off you if you still have them

Post by sunshinekdb » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 8:30 pm

melody7355 wrote:I agreed . Royce Kids Gym on level 2 of Liang Court Shopping Centre is nice and clean and safe. I frequent the gym at least once per week but is moving away from that area very soon. But I still have lots of that gym fun play ticket with no expiry dates. Any one if keen to purchase $100 value ticket for 10 hours at $80.
Hiya!!
Gee, I would love to buy the tickets off you if you still have them. You could send me an email at [email protected] I have just shifted to Singapore a while back, and my toddler still gets homesick!!
Thanks,
Sunshine.

hbw65
Regular
Regular

Post by hbw65 » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 2:49 pm

if you are american, you can join AWA and they have playgroups that are set up by moms who have kids the same year your little one was born.

other activities @ upper orchard - gymboree, little gym, julia gabriel, kindermusik

eldadas

Post by eldadas » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:25 am

From our experience the little gym classes are more intresting and challenging for the kids then the ones at gymboree. Gymboree looks very nice but the content of the classes is very poor

musikbox

Music appreciation @ Musik Box

Post by musikbox » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 1:19 pm

Hi,

I am a mother myself and have tried several other music schools for my 2 kids. I am not really able to find one with a rich content yet with elements of fun. So, have decided to start a one-classroom teaching music appreciation to preschoolers at Turf City. Have a great progressive programme from 1 to 6 years!

I free-lanced in a music school while on child care to spend more time with my son and am a trained teacher. I taught my first son eventually at home as a toddler, now he is learning the violin. He's five and could manage a Grade 4 exam piece! Surprised myself. Always wishing I could do more for my children.

If you are keen to know more, please email to me at [email protected] as I understand I'm not supposed to put advertisements here. :D Though I did a little already I guess....

WestCoastBaby

Post by WestCoastBaby » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 2:04 pm

we live in the orchard area as well. when my son was a bit younger, we put him in mother-child classes in gymboree in tanglin and grace kids in great world city. when he turned 18 months i wanted him to get more frequent interaction given that I could only take him once a week (I work full-time) so placed him in little hands on one tree hill (off grange road). he loved it there, two hours a day starting at three days a week, working him up to five days a week.