Singapore Expats

UPDATE - Freelancing while on dependent visa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 6:57 am

ksl wrote:Wrong again, Singapore laws are changed only to protect against subversive activity in the interest of law and order, that is why their is so much frustration from Americans and other Europeans :lol: 25 years here must be like a prison sentence for Yanks and everyone else that believed in freedom, The rest is cut and censored by me, because I let my feelings get the better of me!
Why is my statement wrong. I just said the both Singapore and the US took the antiquated laws and changed them. I did NOT say that the US and Singapore changed them the same way, or even in fact said that they agreed on their new rulings as it pertains to each country. I merely said that the two countries changed the old laws as needed and left that which hadn't been tested as per old English law. Please read what I wrote. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wrighty

Post by wrighty » Wed, 11 Nov 2009 7:52 pm

Hi
I hve been reading these posts and just wanted to check a few details. Am I right in thinking that to freelance (in this case for a UK company) on a Dependent's Visa you need to first register a business with ACRA and then apply for a Letter of Consent from MOM. There is no need to switch on to an EntrePass or other type of Visa.
Hope I've understood the thread correctly.
Thanks

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Wed, 02 Dec 2009 3:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Also, laws, as they are written, are often a bit different in actual implementation. e.g., 357A (?) I believe that's the number of the act regarding same sex relationships. What is written is not what is in actual practice is it.
Section 377A of the Penal Code (Singapore).

This is why court cases come about. In the past the intention of the legislation was not always captured, so the laws are re-interpreted in a modern context, leading to dispute and legal challenges.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Dec 2009 3:57 pm

wrighty wrote:Hi
I hve been reading these posts and just wanted to check a few details. Am I right in thinking that to freelance (in this case for a UK company) on a Dependent's Visa you need to first register a business with ACRA and then apply for a Letter of Consent from MOM. There is no need to switch on to an EntrePass or other type of Visa.
Hope I've understood the thread correctly.
Thanks
Yes, that is correct. If in the future, you might want to use your business to convert your DP to an EP you will have a much easier time of it if you have registered a private limited and not a sole proprietorship.

fsegre

freelancing in Singapore

Post by fsegre » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Wrighty,

Did get the LOC from MOM? How did that go? Which division of Mom did you speak to? Please elaborate on what you did and how it worked.

I'm a freelance journalist trying to sort this out.
thanks!

Ella Grace

UPDATE - Freelancing while on dependent visa

Post by Ella Grace » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 2:40 pm

I have just been to the MOM and ACRA and both agencies informed me that a dependent pass holder cannot form a private limited company in Singapore. A dependent pass holder must first apply for an Entrepass before she can form a private limited company and the capital required is SD50000. I appears that while foreigners are most welcome to work in Singapore, the wives who are usually the dependent pass holders are not welcome in the workforce. That is a waste of talent. There is also difficulty for them to find work as most employers are not willing to take risks in employing a DP holder.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: UPDATE - Freelancing while on dependent visa

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 3:03 pm

Ella Grace wrote:I have just been to the MOM and ACRA and both agencies informed me that a dependent pass holder cannot form a private limited company in Singapore. A dependent pass holder must first apply for an Entrepass before she can form a private limited company and the capital required is SD50000. I appears that while foreigners are most welcome to work in Singapore, the wives who are usually the dependent pass holders are not welcome in the workforce. That is a waste of talent. There is also difficulty for them to find work as most employers are not willing to take risks in employing a DP holder.
Why is that so? And by whose yardstick? It was the Husband with the talent who got the job offer and the EP here. There was nothing forcing the spouse to accompany the husband to Singapore. Singapore goes out of it's way to make available the possibility of finding some type of meaningful work with the Dependent's Pass and the Letter of Consent. Selling yourself and the concept of the letter of consent is something you have to develop. Many do. I've hired DP holders on LoC's in the past myself.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 3:24 pm

It would appear that ACRA / MOM have finally closed the loophole......

From ACRA's site.....

[quote]Before you can start a business in Singapore

* You must be at least 18 years of age (with effect from 1 March 2009)

* You must not be an undischarged bankrupt or else you must obtained the permission from High Court or Official Assignee if you are planning to register a business entity in Singapore.

* If you are going to be actively involved in the running of the business, you will need to apply for an EntrePass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

EntrePass

A foreigner, who is not a Singapore Permanent Resident (PR), but wishes to engage in any form of business in Singapore must apply for an EntrePass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

A foreigner, who does not apply for EntrePass, may instead appoint a locally resident director to register a company in Singapore and continue to reside outside Singapore. “Locally resident”

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 6:55 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]It would appear that ACRA / MOM have finally closed the loophole......

From ACRA's site.....

[quote]Before you can start a business in Singapore

* You must be at least 18 years of age (with effect from 1 March 2009)

* You must not be an undischarged bankrupt or else you must obtained the permission from High Court or Official Assignee if you are planning to register a business entity in Singapore.

* If you are going to be actively involved in the running of the business, you will need to apply for an EntrePass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

EntrePass

A foreigner, who is not a Singapore Permanent Resident (PR), but wishes to engage in any form of business in Singapore must apply for an EntrePass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

A foreigner, who does not apply for EntrePass, may instead appoint a locally resident director to register a company in Singapore and continue to reside outside Singapore. “Locally resident”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 2:22 pm

SE, I am not sure which one is correct, but based on the following.......

Your two links.......

http://www.acra.gov.sg/Company/Starting ... ditors.htm Last updated 15 Sept 2009
http://www.acra.gov.sg/Company/Starting ... ompany.htm Last updated 15 Sept 2009

My link.......

http://www.acra.gov.sg/Guide+for+Foreigners.htm Last Updated/Reviewed on 04 Nov 2009

.....and the feedback that Ella Grace received direct from MOM and ACRA would lend itself to the conclusion that they have finally closed the loophole that we were discussing back in June-Oct 09. Course this is only conjecture on my part but based on 1st party feedback (Ella Grace) and and a website page with a later update.

Ella Grace

Post by Ella Grace » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 8:06 pm

I find Sundaymorningstaple's statement very irritating: "There was nothing forcing the spouse to accompany the husband to Singapore". I am wondering what your concept of a family is. I don't see it as my role to go wherever my husband is assigned. I do it out of my own volition and my definition of a family. I don't understand how being a DP holder and being allowed to set up a private ltd co a loophole.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 8:44 pm

Sorry you find the truth irritating. You obviously are very young and therefore don't realize that for many, many years all expatriate postings were usually single postings and the wife & children stayed home. It wasn't until the advent of decent schooling in some of the 3rd world countries (Like the American School which was only established in 1956 in Singapore). In the absence of suitable facilities, overseas posting were "hardship" postings and weren't normally family oriented or advised. It's only since the 60's that it's been more and more accepted that there are family postings but again, I'm not giving feelgood answers. I am telling it like it is. If you would rather I blow smoke and at the end of the day you are even more frustrated, so be it. But I'm telling you how the powers that be look at it. Not the way you would ideally like it to be. If you persevere you will find something. Eventually.

As an aside, even in the US there are families separated by work where I know several situations where the husbands (or wives) work in either New York or California but the family home is in Maryland or Virgina and the wife has her career there and the kids go to school there (elected members of congress or the senate just to name a few). The husband returns every quarter for a couple of weeks. Welcome to the new order. Like it or not. Same for all those guys who go offshore on board drilling rigs for two months at a time just so you have gasoline to stick in your SUV while you play soccer mom. I know. I worked offshore on those rigs for close to 20 years. We all make sacrifices in the names of our families.
"I don't see it as my role to go wherever my husband is assigned. I do it out of my own volition and my definition of a family."
Good for you. But don't think the government or employers here owe it to you to give you a job or for that matter, make special rules to make it easier for you to set up a company.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 6:09 pm

i just have a question bout freelancing...sorry to hijack the thread.but i dont want to open another thread. :lol:

I make some handmade jewellery and accessories but i am also an EP holder for a company. I sell the stuff to friends but i recently saw a store which can display the stuff on consignment basis. I am wondering if i can do that and would i need to include it in my tax.? I don't have a company and i dont want to open one for this type of business. But I just have this hobby which I am able to use.

dpnctl

about sponsorship

Post by dpnctl » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:29 pm

hi friends,
as i could not post a new post, i am trying out here.
a friend of mine has sponsored me in Singapore and he has charged me around 15 lakhs INR for Social security bond, 4500$ for foreign workers division welfare fund, etc etc
is this all genuine, however i see a Q pass stamped on my passport

it starts with a four digit number like 1234Q-my passport number
eg: 1234QB1234567

the process is going on getting delayed
not only that, is police clearance certificate compulsory to enter Singapore?
I paid around 2200SGD to get a PPC from Indian embassy in Singapore :cry:

i havent yet landed in Singapore till date but I paid rent for 4 months 700 $

any hep on this, is there any way that i can validate, crosscheck whether this Q pass is a genuine one?

pls help
MJ

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 8:58 am

You have been SCREWED. Your agent is ripping you off. If you haven't paid him yet, don't. Your Work Visa number should be either F or G plus 7 digits followed by a single letter. e.g., F1234567K

There is no bond if you are a EP holder, e.g., a "Q" pass. There is NO Foreign workers division welfare fund, etc. etc. However, if you are being hired on a "WP : Work Permit" the employer has to pay a levy (but NOT the employee). Additionally, The employer MUST furnish medical insurance (limited coverage). S Pass holders are also subject to a workers levy as well, but again, this must be paid by the employer, not the agent.

Run! Run as fast as you can. You are being scammed.