Singapore Expats

Great hair colourist.....anyone?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
gabby78

Great hair colourist.....anyone?

Post by gabby78 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:47 am

Hi
I am new to Singapore and am in need of getting my blonde highlights touched up - can someone recommend a salon? Is Le Pappilion any good or the Hairsmith at Tanglin Mall?
Thanks!
Gabby

Silluf

Post by Silluf » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 3:07 pm

Try Sabun Cabane in Tanglin Mall. Their main colourist Wai is very good.

DINA ORAZOVAZZ

Post by DINA ORAZOVAZZ » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 9:49 am

Silluf wrote:Try Sabun Cabane in Tanglin Mall. Their main colourist Wai is very good.
Is she good? I have tried her but not really up to my expectation. Once had a bad experience at Sabun Cabane and the people there are rude.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:18 pm

DINA ORAZOVAZZ wrote:
Silluf wrote:Try Sabun Cabane in Tanglin Mall. Their main colourist Wai is very good.
Is she good? I have tried her but not really up to my expectation. Once had a bad experience at Sabun Cabane and the people there are rude.
Aren't you now doing exactly the same thing that you were railing at over somebody's comments about le Pappillon?

Pot. Kettle. Black.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

surreymum

Post by surreymum » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:54 pm

DINA ORAZOVAZZ wrote:
if you were telling the truth, you would know that 'Wei' the colourist at Sabune Cabane is a guy.

Nothing to do with your affiliation with 'Le Papillion' I suppose!

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Thu, 06 May 2010 10:29 am

Hi Gabby

I put a post up about this last week but haven't had any responses yet. Pretty much the same names keep coming up though - Toni & Guy at The Heeren, Capello Loft, Alexandre Casta and Le Papillon (if I even dare mention the latter after all the posts about them!).

Problem is, I had my hair done here by someone else once before and it was just wrong. Now I'm too scared to try someone else. Was considering going to a kiwi called Linda who works from home. Anyone been to her?

Thanks! :)

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Thu, 06 May 2010 1:58 pm

Not been to Linda but I do go to Toni & Guy in Holland Village. My hair is very very grey - despite me being "only" 40 :wink: - and Tess usually does a good job of making it look naturally brown . :)

Post by 24601 » Sat, 08 May 2010 12:11 am

Are woven highlights easy to get in Singapore. Of course everyone has them here so nearly any salon can do them at a fairly consistent standard.

What are the price ranges for a full head of highlights?
Life in a box is better than no life at all... I expect.

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Sat, 08 May 2010 8:59 am

The problem is that there are very different standards! The guy I went to only started weaving closer to the front of my head (what the ...?) and didn't get right down to the roots. He took great pride in his work and thought he did a fantastic job - which he didn't.

The other problem is that caucasion and asian hair is very, very different and most asians aren't able to do very fine blonde foils - simply because they haven't been trained in it.

It's just risky over here so you need to do the research! :(

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Sat, 08 May 2010 9:01 am

24601, I take it you don't have highlights?

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Sat, 08 May 2010 10:52 am

Chaya from Toni&Guy at Heeren has been widely recommended here. My wife, who was also very afraid of, gave her a try and she did an excellent job. It is not cheap though. For full head expect to pay $350, while with director's cut + blow dry $500.

kimora
Regular
Regular

Post by kimora » Sat, 08 May 2010 3:19 pm

stiwi wrote:Chaya from Toni&Guy at Heeren has been widely recommended here. My wife, who was also very afraid of, gave her a try and she did an excellent job. It is not cheap though. For full head expect to pay $350, while with director's cut + blow dry $500.

that is insane for hair colouring, i wish i had that kind of $ to spend on hair.

Post by 24601 » Sat, 08 May 2010 3:49 pm

I've been known to spend £300 (close to $700 and today's crazy exchange rates) on my hair. In London this is all too easy to do.

Kaela - thankfully blessed with fair hair but I often use a foils with a lifter to go one shade lighter coupled with low lights. But I've had highlights too when I want to go much lighter. In London I only ever use the senior stylists hence my comment on the standard mainly being ok (I was only referring to London not to Singapore). I am a little worried about the hairdressers because you're right Asian hair is very different....

Well I'll follow the advice here and hope that works!

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Sat, 08 May 2010 6:06 pm

Hi 24601

Sorry - I got the impression that you didn't have highlights which is why you thought it must be standard here! I had heard before I moved here that it was difficult to find someone good but never realised there was such a difference between asian and caucasion hair!

Last time I paid SGD380 for a full head of foils (my hair is long), cut and blow dry. I thought that was bad but SGD500 at Toni and Guy is just craziness!

I've booked Linda from "Hair by Linda". She works from home and is from NZ. Am still nervous though. She charges SGD360 for the works.

Will wait and see ...

Post by 24601 » Sun, 09 May 2010 3:53 am

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. If she's any good I expect we'll all be using her (otherwise I'm going home to get mine!)