Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 3:41 am

charmaiin wrote:. We're not kids who need to be tutored & mentored.

You haven't seen more than a few that were here in the past. :P :lol: :lol:
Thank you for your concerns on breeding bad habits, I guess somewhere, somehow, it started with a good intention.
Well um.....now there's an astute observation if ever there was one. :-k

lingg

Post by lingg » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:47 am

hi plavt, were u an ex-SIA cabin crew? i wonder....

ckrocks

Post by ckrocks » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 8:32 pm

@ everyone whom is trying for SQ..

don't worry about your standard of language is, as long as you are able to converse and understand each other. its really good enough. i have friend whom know 5 languages.. and i mean.. he really know it, did not get in SQ.. so it dont really matter as long as te basic english standard is there..

i dont think anyone here know every single word in the dictionary too right?! anyways.. if the training hasn't change its curriculum.. there will be a training on articulation, language and yada yada..

even so, even on board.. haha! you dont really speak queen's language to crew and pax as well..

ok just a 2cents worth of thoughts! don't comdemn me ah! =)

Gnip
Regular
Regular

Post by Gnip » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 9:05 pm

eunicelee wrote:
Gnip wrote:I need some help here please! The walk-in is on the 20th, I understand. Should I make it through all the rounds, is it possible for me to go for the medical examination a month later on? I have a flight to catch on the 21st. :/

Is there a number I can call for information on this?
honey,dont count your chickens until they are hatched.
well honey, nobody goes to an interview to fail it deliberately. i want to go prepared and knowing there is a point in going - not go and realize i have made it through all the rounds except i'm now not going to be able to proceed 'cos i can't attend the medical. if you don't have the answer to my query, keep your condescend to yourself. no one needs it; we're all here to help or be helped.
Helloo! (:

MirageBomb

Post by MirageBomb » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 3:22 pm

Standard of English - have you *heard* the PA announcements on any recent SQ flight? Most cabin crew can't even 'spik' the language properly.. Anyone who speaks perfect "Queen's English" is asking for trouble.. worse still if the English accent comes with the package. You gotta understand that your future colleagues generally have a 'thing' against anyone who appears more educated. On the job, "speak in proper sentences" is a common refrain, but trust me - DON'T. I actually had to learn to speak broken/bad English to blend in. Imagine that. Awful process, but c'est la vie.

My advice is.. don't fuss over those passages. If you've never been the sort to score As in English (effortlessly) in Singapore, you're pretty much guaranteed to stumble, falter and mispronounce. How well you improvise/recover from the mistake, and how you react when caught off-guard is probably most important in that part of the interview.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Einstein

blurcase

Post by blurcase » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 2:28 am

barney88 wrote:hello is anyone knows when will SIA held a recruitment again after feb and march walk-in?
for some reasons i might not be able to attend the coming interviews :(
wad happem? u not going for the penang interview? good chance u know.. i cant.. realli hope i can.. too far is the prob..

derenla

Post by derenla » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 1:52 pm

Hey ppl chill and happy cny to you all!! :)
I realised you all have been talking bout the standard of english language here but it all started with the topic of passage reading in the final round. I agree that no one is perfect (as in you're able to swallow the dictionary and pronounce every word correctly), but my qn is, how do SIA see it? So would they boot ppl out from the last round if they fail to pronounce some words like sauteed? :P

charmaiin
Regular
Regular

Post by charmaiin » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 7:21 pm

derenla wrote:Hey ppl chill and happy cny to you all!! :)
I realised you all have been talking bout the standard of english language here but it all started with the topic of passage reading in the final round. I agree that no one is perfect (as in you're able to swallow the dictionary and pronounce every word correctly), but my qn is, how do SIA see it? So would they boot ppl out from the last round if they fail to pronounce some words like sauteed? :P
Hello there happy cny (: I'm pretty sure they wont boot people out because of bad pronunciation - but cannot be too bad lah. For my group, there were a few mispronunciations but the interviewer was v nice to point out our mistakes and reassure that there would be speech trainings anyway.

lingg

Post by lingg » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:21 am

yes, they won boot pp out for 'dunnoe how to pronouce some french word' or some bad pronouciations. Cos logically, no one is perfect even u have a cert to prove it. Anyway, if a person do speak 'queen's english', they shld nt be joining SQ ma~ They shld be some professor or lawyer right? And also got no time for this forum MA... LOL... Myself, my passage, i wasn't being able to pronounce this 1 french word and after everythg, e interviewer did mention that they will not penalise cos training will be given. And, he taught me e correct pronounciation.

Good luck for ppl goin for e coming walk-in. U jux nid to be confident i guess...Happy lunar new yr~

Shirini

Post by Shirini » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 1:25 pm

[quote="MirageBomb"]Standard of English - have you *heard* the PA announcements on any recent SQ flight? Most cabin crew can't even 'spik' the language properly.. Anyone who speaks perfect "Queen's English" is asking for trouble.. worse still if the English accent comes with the package. You gotta understand that your future colleagues generally have a 'thing' against anyone who appears more educated. On the job, "speak in proper sentences" is a common refrain, but trust me - DON'T. I actually had to learn to speak broken/bad English to blend in. Imagine that. Awful process, but c'est la vie.
quote]

This is true in Singapore. Speaking perfect English will only land you in trouble with nasty crew and they will certainly roll their eyes if you speak English with a British or American accent.

zxtangellove

Post by zxtangellove » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 2:13 pm

Maybe you guys would like to find out how to pronounce "cajun" and "crepes" on the net too. Always wanted to know how to pronounce crepes but forget to google online. Thank goodness i'm reading this now. Google-d in prep for the nxt interview =D

Btw, based on online info, sauteed really sounds like salted or rather, "soul-ted"?

kerster66

the kind of questions asked

Post by kerster66 » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 3:20 pm

Hi natalatte, can you tell me what kind of questions was asked during the discussion?

I am rather tense up with this coming recruitment and hope to prepare well, so just to check if i can get some question out here and practice first.

i only have one friend that went for last recruitment, she was asked to tell them who is person that she wants to be like in future, like role model, etc

thanks in advance, for those that've been thru and wiling to share, please help :)

CabinCrewKristine

Re: the kind of questions asked

Post by CabinCrewKristine » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:30 pm

kerster66 wrote:Hi natalatte, can you tell me what kind of questions was asked during the discussion?

I am rather tense up with this coming recruitment and hope to prepare well, so just to check if i can get some question out here and practice first.

i only have one friend that went for last recruitment, she was asked to tell them who is person that she wants to be like in future, like role model, etc

thanks in advance, for those that've been thru and wiling to share, please help :)
The questions varies and not everybody will receive the same old question from the previous interview.

The questions posted only have a certain aim, to determine how you can express your personality through the questions...

You get questions like, choose an animal you like and tell me why, what do you think about weddings and stuff like that and even absurd questions like... why do you think girls like to carry big bags !

if you want to prepare every single possible questions out there... you will just over-stress yourself.

While preparation is necessary, do note that it is the way you answer or rather... the way of expressing the answers that'll impress the interviewers... in other words... saying what the interviewers wants to hear in relation to the characteristics of a cabin crew etc.

Though knowing how to pronounce the words is important.. since like you've got hold of that single "uncommon food word".. Instead of debating over the pronunciation... why not concentrate on your fluency and clarity of your sentences... They are not looking for a literature grad are they ?? More likely, they are looking for people who can speak fluently and well verse in the English language for communication purposes...

Hope this helps ^^
Tons of Cabin Crew Tips - http://siacabincrew.wordpress.com

lurverach

Post by lurverach » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:10 pm

zxtangellove wrote:Maybe you guys would like to find out how to pronounce "cajun" and "crepes" on the net too. Always wanted to know how to pronounce crepes but forget to google online. Thank goodness i'm reading this now. Google-d in prep for the nxt interview =D

Btw, based on online info, sauteed really sounds like salted or rather, "soul-ted"?
hey zxtangellove, just wanna share with u an easy way bout the pronunciation. as for cajun , it is pronounced as "K joon". crepes, "craps" its a french word so you gotta actually stress on the letter "r"...as for sauteed, it is pronounced as "saw-tayed". it doesnt really sound like salted or soulted i guess..

vermo

Post by vermo » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 4:46 pm

Hey guys.. I'll be attending the Feb interview in Png. Was just wondering what should I wear? As I know, for MAS's interview, its always advisable to wear Kebaya.