Singapore Expats

Calling Aussies. Work permit for EU?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 5:15 am

If you are 30 or under consider a working holiday visa. This would let you work and travel in France for 12 months.

http://www.ambafrance-au.org/france_aus ... rticle1132

Take a look here for the full list of countries Australians can do working holidays in.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working ... -overseas/

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 1:54 pm

Wcs,
Ozchick is looking to work within her profession, most of those working holidays involve jobs that are either poorly paid or not worth thinking about.....

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 4:55 pm

Plavt actually its very easy to get a normal job for two years with one employer at a professional level in the uk on a working holiday visa. Nearly everyone I knew in Melbourne did it and none were low paying jobs. Most were paying GBD25+ per hour professional work. You just have to go see a recruitment agent, they give you a letter to set up a bank account then set up your own company through someone like first contact and your earning pounds through your own company with the first 10,000 GBD free in tax in the company. They used to have a rule to change companies but I worked for the governement there and they allowed me to stay knowing my visa. I think the uk governement may have reduced it to 1 year visa now. But its definately worth a shot. Once in a company and proving yourself the company can sponsor you long term.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 5:24 pm

Nath21 wrote:Plavt actually its very easy to get a normal job for two years with one employer at a professional level in the uk on a working holiday visa. Nearly everyone I knew in Melbourne did it and none were low paying jobs. Most were paying GBD25+ per hour professional work. You just have to go see a recruitment agent, they give you a letter to set up a bank account then set up your own company through someone like first contact and your earning pounds through your own company with the first 10,000 GBD free in tax in the company. They used to have a rule to change companies but I worked for the governement there and they allowed me to stay knowing my visa. I think the uk governement may have reduced it to 1 year visa now. But its definately worth a shot. Once in a company and proving yourself the company can sponsor you long term.
Two years is hardly likely to be considered a holiday so the work permit you are talking about is I suspect a temporary work permit of some description. I have never heard of a recruitment agency providing a letter to set up a bank account since they cannot guarantee anybody employment. However, I have no idea what the regulations are pertaining to Australians. I doubt if nearly everybody in Melbourne did it unless the rat, kangaroo or whatever plague is worse than usual this year.
:P

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 6:04 pm

ozchick wrote:
VERY helpful thank you x9200! Better than wondering why my email to the Spanish embassy was 'undelivered'.......
OK so very clearly stated all over the place there that one can't apply for a work permit without a job offer.......jolly good then I'll just have to try some other countries, worse could happen.
There is no such thing as common EU work permit, but each country has their own system how they give work permits to non-EU citizens. Aussies are not in any specific category, with the exception of the bilateral working holiday scheme for students and young people, under 30 years.

Totally opposite to Singapore or Australia, where work based immigration is encouraged, in many Western European countries it seems that refugees and other burdens to local economies/taxpayers are more welcome than people willing to work.

Denmark, Ireland and UK have tried to implement something similar than Singapore/Australia for highly skilled immigration. In Spain or France there is no guaranteed work permit even if you have a job offer. I used to deal with getting Indian IT guys to Belgium, and it was really painful and difficult to plan resourcing as the acceptance process was very unpredictable and slow. I don’t think I can say anything positive about the immigration system, office or officers in France and Belgium. I don’t have personal experiences dealing with Spanish one, but would be surprised if it was any better.

The “good news”

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 6:08 pm

Plavt wrote:First to clarify a possible misunderstanding there is no work permit for the EU or EEC as it is more often called; people living in member states have the right to work in the respective countries without such. Please note there are one or two exceptions, Latvia being one such example at present.

Ozchick, I don't know how it works but even if that's permissible you would probably be wasting your time unless you speak fluent French not to mention Spain's current unemployment rate of around 14%! You would probably have more success in the UK as plenty of Aussie doctors either pass through or work here. I don't know about teachers and again I don't know how you would go about it, best to contact somebody in your profession living here is a possible start in the right direction.
I know in UK people believe in traditions, but still EEC haven’t existed since 1993! Using EEC instead of EU is like talking about Soviet Union instead of Russia. In 1993,EEC was converted into European Community (without the Economic limitation in name), which is still only one part of European Union. So it is better to talk about EU, if you wish to give up-to-date information. I guess it's fine, I know one guy here insisting that he is Rhodesian.

Also Senor Zapatero in Spain would be delighted if he could announce that kind of unemployment levels as Spain’s sorry unemployment level is actually reaching 20%!!!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 2:37 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote: I know in UK people believe in traditions, but still EEC haven’t existed since 1993!
Same thing different name, so who cares?.....
Also Senor Zapatero in Spain would be delighted if he could announce that kind of unemployment levels as Spain’s sorry unemployment level is actually reaching 20%!!!
Last I heard was 14%, either way unemployment is a problem in Spain which was my point, you don't need to split hairs anymore than you needed to 'parrot' what I had already said regarding the work permit and people working in member states. Ozchick got the information she needed! :roll:

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 8:54 am

Plavt,
Whether you belivee it or not it was true at the time. 2 year working holiday visa was what it was called. I beleive it was reduced to 1 year to match the offer in Australia more recently (tit for tat). Nearly all recruitment companies in london offer people introductions letter to banks. This is because people often dont have an address to give to a bank when they first arraive and they need a bank account to work. Therfore the recruitment agency gives them a letter of introduction. i chose HSBC and the address was the recruitment agency until I signed a lease agreement and then could show them some bills with my address on them. Otherwise you get stuck in a circle never having enough details to open an bank account and work. Most people I knew in Australia worked in the UK at some period on this visa or through parental heriditary visas. I would say off the top of my head over 100 people I know worked in london between 2000-2005 mainly because of the pound 3-1 to AUD so yes it was a plague but look at what happened to your country without us and what happened to OZ with us. :lol:

Im back next month to london for a visit so I'll let you know if they deny me entry for illegaly working on a wrong visa. I am going to revisit tiger tiger for a laugh.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 4:08 pm

Plavt wrote:
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote: I know in UK people believe in traditions, but still EEC haven’t existed since 1993!
Same thing different name, so who cares?.....
No is is not the same thing. EU has much wider powers than EEC ever had. Some people care about the facts, but if you choose to be ignorant about the European political development that is obviously your right.
Last I heard was 14%, either way unemployment is a problem in Spain which was my point, you don't need to split hairs anymore than you needed to 'parrot' what I had already said regarding the work permit and people working in member states. Ozchick got the information she needed! :roll:
Ok, I apologize mr. moderator, you obviously don't wish your facts to be corrected, and get grumpy when that happens. But if you read the whole posting, it was not just repeating what you wrote, I didn't see any mention about already approved blue card skilled immigration policy, which is one of the major new areas that EU has powers unlike EEC.

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy CNY to UK, I won't trouble you for a few weeks as it's holiday time, and I won't touch a computer when I'm holidaying.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 4:42 pm

Nath21 wrote:Plavt,
Whether you belivee it or not it was true at the time. 2 year working holiday visa was what it was called. I beleive it was reduced to 1 year to match the offer in Australia more recently (tit for tat). .
Actually Nath something occurred to me the moment I set off for work and shut the door in the perishing cold that we have here at present. I remember an Aunt of mine (who comically is only a year older than me). She worked for the BBC who sent her to Australia for two years (maybe the same thing - long time ago) at which point she left and stayed there and is now an Australian citizen. Also at that time it was possible to travel to Australia for a mere £10 if you stayed there for two years. Since that was some considerable time ago and I never knew the full details the scheme your talking about must be the same or similar. Although you will no doubt realize I have no need to look at the regulations for a foreigner entering Britain (anymore than I need to look up blue card schemes). Mind you I wouldn't mind going somewhere warmer.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 4:59 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
No is is not the same thing. EU has much wider powers than EEC ever had. Some people care about the facts, but if you choose to be ignorant about the European political development that is obviously your right.
Wider powers, facts or what the EU if you must is still a community and whether it has wider powers was hardly relevant to the OP's enquiry!
Ok, I apologize mr. moderator, you obviously don't wish your facts to be corrected, and get grumpy when that happens. But if you read the whole posting, it was not just repeating what you wrote, I didn't see any mention about already approved blue card skilled immigration policy, which is one of the major new areas that EU has powers unlike EEC.
I had already stated that individuals have the right to work in member states and that no EU nationals do not have that right and I also said that I do not know the requirements for those living outside the EU. I am hardly the minister for the employment of foreign labour!
Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy CNY to UK, I won't trouble you for a few weeks as it's holiday time, and I won't touch a computer when I'm holidaying.
Hallelujah.....peace at last!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 5:18 pm

Wrong side of bed this morning? Or you haven't had your morning cuppa yet? :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 5:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wrong side of bed this morning? Or you haven't had your morning cuppa yet? :P
Be nice to me I've have a bad day............ :(

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 6:59 pm

Plavt wrote:
ozchick wrote: But are you saying that people living in member states ONLY have the right to work in THEIR own country, with no rights to other member states?
No, Seems I was a little careless with my choice of words; EEC nationals can work in the various member states without the need for a work permit the exception being Latvia and maybe one or two others.
Sorry, but not true.

Italians wanting to live and work in for example The Netherlands do need a permit to do so. It is just a procedure, but it needs to be done.

PS. Unemployment rates don't mean anything also, that is on a macro level, it all boils down to your profession.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 7:14 pm

Superglide wrote:
Sorry, but not true.
Excuse me! I did say: 'and maybe one or two others!' In other words I only had knowledge of one state with that requirement hence the 'maybe one or two other states.' Try reading what I said - what you like to tell me what to do if you remember. Besides as you already know I am not Dutch (fortunately) so I am not likely to know the requirements for Italians wishing to work in The Netherlands.

have already stated the work permit would be limited to the UK and the OP has already decided to ask the embassy. ...:roll:

Unemployemnt rates don't mean anything also, that is on a macro level, it all boils down to your profession.
Yes that can be true but as regards private schools in a recession fewer people attend them which means a decline in the requirement for teachers. This could mean a surplus of teachers available to teach in mainstream schools since those that teach privately are often equally and suitably qualified to do so.
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.