Singapore Expats

Born in Singapore to one Singapore parent, means Singaporean ?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
gurgle

Born in Singapore to one Singapore parent, means Singaporean ?

Post by gurgle » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 6:04 pm

Yes, I know this sounds obvious, but someone was trying to tell me that if one of the the Singaporean parents was a woman then they did not have to register the birth in Singapore, therefore child would not be a Singaporean but could stay here on a SVP. Note that father is a PR. It sounds like complete cr@p to me, my understanding is as follows;

All births have to be registered in Singapore no matter what.

If you are born in Singapore to at least one Singaporean parent, you are 100% Singaporean regardless of what you may or may not want to do , unless the father is a foreign diplomat.

Thanks for any clarification on this.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 3:07 am

All babies born in Singapore have to be registered here.
All babies born in Singapore with at least one parent Singaporean citizen (regardless whether father or mother) are automatically Singapore citizens.

Babies born elsewhere have to be registered there.
Babies born elsewhere with at least one parent Singapore citizen (regardless whether father or mother) are NOT automatically Singapore citizen, but can get citizenship upon registration with the embassy - if the parents want that.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 3:43 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:11 am

I am one fine example :D
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:40 am

So are both my kids! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gurgle

Post by gurgle » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:54 am

Thanks Beppi, MS and all for the clarification.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 5:14 am

beppi wrote:All babies born in Singapore have to be registered here.
All babies born in Singapore with at least one parent Singaporean citizen (regardless whether father or mother) are automatically Singapore citizens.

Babies born elsewhere have to be registered there.
Babies born elsewhere with at least one parent Singapore citizen (regardless whether father or mother) are NOT automatically Singapore citizen, but can get citizenship upon registration with the embassy - if the parents want that.
In that case isn't it perfectly fine and in accordance with the law to marry a foreign spouse, give birth to a girl in Singapore and a boy overseas and then start a family in Singapore?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 6:35 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:11 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Koala Bear

There are conditions to meet if you marry a foreign spouse. E.q. an EP cannot marry a SGer.
It is not as easy as one sees it. Moreover foreign spouse if qualified to stay here will only be given a short stay visa , followed by Long Term Visa to be renewed every six month and so on.
MS
As far as I know, there are no restrictions on Singaporeans marrying EP holders - only fro WP holders a permit is needed.

But the part on giving birth to a girl in Singapore and a boy overseas is correct: He won't be citizen and thus not liable for NS, but there are other disadvantages involved in having a "foreign" son living with you here: e.g. visa issues and higher school fees.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:33 am

Yeah, unfortunately, ICA could, and hopefully would, refuse to give the male child either a LTSVP OR an Student's Visa. And of course, if he tried to take up PR he would be refused or he would incur NS liability anyway.

Why is it some jerk is always trying to find a way to f*ck around with the system and ends up just making it harder on everybody else.
:mad:

beppi, you are correct. It's only WP holders that have a problem and even that isn't normally a problem unless they don't follow protocol - then they are screwed up for life. (As noted, I have a Nephew with just that problem at the moment).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:03 am

I totally agree.......
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Why is it some jerk is always trying to find a way to f*ck around with the system and ends up just making it harder on everybody else.
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Why is it some jerk is always trying to find a way to f*ck around with the system and ends up just making it harder on everybody else.
they are trying to out smart the system.
:roll:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 2:33 pm

I am a Pacifist and would have problems with my son being forced to learn how to kill people. No issues if there's a choice of non-military community service, like some European countries offer.
Ours turned out to be a girl, and I'm glad for that.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 3:43 pm

beppi wrote:I am a Pacifist and would have problems with my son being forced to learn how to kill people. No issues if there's a choice of non-military community service, like some European countries offer.
Ours turned out to be a girl, and I'm glad for that.
I'm a pagan. :P

But I didn't feel that I need to bring up my son and daughter to have my beliefs. I want them to do as I did, weight up all the research, come to a conclusion and march to the beat of their own drum. I don't expect my kids to live in a mold of my design or adhere to my beliefs. They will be around a lot longer than I will. So, while I am not really a warmonger, I am an ex-Nam chopper pilot and I do believe that my kids should at least learn the ability to protect themselves and their families if they think their families are worth it. I also don't advise my kids to break the law, if military service is part of the law. Had I felt that way, I would have removed them from the country a long time ago. But even that would not have been fair to the kids as they might like the country they're in. In an ideal world, I would be a pacifist as well, but unfortunately the world isn't ideal. :wink:

Only because it's the middle of the afternoon on TGIF! :P

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 5:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, ICA could, and hopefully would, refuse to give the male child either a LTSVP OR an Student's Visa. And of course, if he tried to take up PR he would be refused or he would incur NS liability anyway.

Why is it some jerk is always trying to find a way to f*ck around with the system and ends up just making it harder on everybody else.

beppi, you are correct. It's only WP holders that have a problem and even that isn't normally a problem unless they don't follow protocol - then they are screwed up for life. (As noted, I have a Nephew with just that problem at the moment).
What if I marry a foreign spouse outside Singapore? Will the government put me in jail for that or the most they can do is to deny my foreign spouse entry to Singapore? I'd probably marry someone who is not a Singaporean but have no idea where I'll settle yet.