Singapore Expats

iPhone Jailbreak

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
piaoApril

Post by piaoApril » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 2:05 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Did the jailbreak thingy today... piece of cake using blackra1n... took 15 seconds... many nice new nifty apps... ferk apple... phone is great... trying to control what I can run on it sucks.
I have the same iphone as yours, 3gs running 3.1.2.
i jailbreak it by myself by using blackrain. But the problem is its not perfect jailbreak: I can't turn it off, otherwise I can't turn it on by normal process - I have to connect iphone with pc, using blackrain to turn it on. Do you have the same problem? Btw, mine is week42 product.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:57 pm

piaoApril wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Did the jailbreak thingy today... piece of cake using blackra1n... took 15 seconds... many nice new nifty apps... ferk apple... phone is great... trying to control what I can run on it sucks.
I have the same iphone as yours, 3gs running 3.1.2.
i jailbreak it by myself by using blackrain. But the problem is its not perfect jailbreak: I can't turn it off, otherwise I can't turn it on by normal process - I have to connect iphone with pc, using blackrain to turn it on. Do you have the same problem? Btw, mine is week42 product.
This means you have a later model iPhone, and it can only be jailbroken when it is tethered (connected). A problem. You can read more at:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/692694 ... ndows.html

piaoApril

Post by piaoApril » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:11 am

yeah, lucky you. i m waiting for the new black rain version to make it perfect.

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

iPhone jailbreak

Post by JaanJ » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 5:25 pm

I am so stuck now as most of the instructions I have read here are for version 3.1.2. Guess I'll have to use one of these guys mentioned above to jailbreak my iPhone version of 3.1.3.

Strong Eagle

Re: iPhone jailbreak

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 7:55 pm

JaanJ wrote:I am so stuck now as most of the instructions I have read here are for version 3.1.2. Guess I'll have to use one of these guys mentioned above to jailbreak my iPhone version of 3.1.3.
Don't upgrade to 3.1.3. There is no 'good' jailbreak for 3GS. If you have a new iPhone with 3.1.3 installed, read this. There is no jailbreak and you will be scammed.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 8:59 am

Oh god...I was about to set up an appt with one of the guys. SE, thank you so much for coming to the rescue. Appreciate tons. Man, this forum is awesome :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 9:59 am

JaanJ wrote:Oh god...I was about to set up an appt with one of the guys. SE, thank you so much for coming to the rescue. Appreciate tons. Man, this forum is awesome :)
It is possible to jailbreak but not unlock... I think. Read this forum and do a search for 'ultrasn0w'.

http://modmyi.com/forums/jailbreak-down ... upgrading/

And a PS: The Dev Team are THE people who have created all the jailbreaks and unlocks and they are always free because Apple has just pissed them off. Anybody charging money will be using their free tools.

Another decent site to search is this one.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iph ... n0w-0.9.4/

Plenty of reliable information.

Do you have a new iPhone with 3.1.3 installed or did you upgrade?

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 2:46 pm

Hi SE, I upgraded to version 3.1.3 because the original was crashed. These links you have provided, they are going to be of lots of help to me. Thanks tons

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 14 May 2010 5:02 am

Hmmm.... I hope I do not own what might end up to be a very expensive paper-weight when I relocate to Singapore in a couple of months.

I have the iPhone 3Gs, 3.1.3 firmware - here in the US so am locked into AT&T.

Yes, I will pay a hefty termination fee... but, I was wondering if I could unlock my phone and then use it here with a local SIM after signing up with one of the local providers (StarHub? ...)

I am not interested in jail-breaking.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 May 2010 7:59 am

beenthere wrote:Hmmm.... I hope I do not own what might end up to be a very expensive paper-weight when I relocate to Singapore in a couple of months.

Yes, I will pay a hefty termination fee... but, I was wondering if I could unlock my phone and then use it here with a local SIM after signing up with one of the local providers (StarHub? ...)

If you are terminating the contract and leaving the country, you can have AT&T unlock it. Basically you give them the serial number, they unlock. Done by phone. Your only other solution is to jailbreak and unlock... and the unlock for 3.1.3 is not confirmed.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Sat, 15 May 2010 12:25 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
beenthere wrote:Hmmm.... I hope I do not own what might end up to be a very expensive paper-weight when I relocate to Singapore in a couple of months.

If you are terminating the contract and leaving the country, you can have AT&T unlock it. Basically you give them the serial number, they unlock. Done by phone. Your only other solution is to jailbreak and unlock... and the unlock for 3.1.3 is not confirmed.
I am not sure I can get ATT to unlock. Researching on the web - it seems like ATT doesn't or has never unlocked an iPhone - example:

http://iphone-chat.org/moving-overseas- ... -3g-68901/

I will try calling ATT and Apple and then get back here with what I find.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 15 May 2010 9:19 am

beenthere wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I am not sure I can get ATT to unlock. Researching on the web - it seems like ATT doesn't or has never unlocked an iPhone - example:

http://iphone-chat.org/moving-overseas- ... -3g-68901/

I will try calling ATT and Apple and then get back here with what I find.
Why don't you call Singtel or Starhub and see if they will unlock it for you if you sign up for a contract?

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 3:43 pm

road.not.taken wrote:You can take it to the guys in Lucky Plaza, they helped me with my iPhone. Yeoh Tat I think is the name of the shop? There are about 3 of them on the B1 or 1 level, any one should be able to help you or direct you to the right shop.
Anyone know if these guys are still around? I have now landed in the republic (residents beware) ... :)

steo

Post by steo » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 5:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:Singtel phones are unlocked by IDA regulation. Any sim card works. I imagine it is the same for other carriers.
I just found out from the Apple Service Center in Canada that my Singtel iPhone is locked, and cannot take the iOS4 update. Apple's KB site says Singtel phones are unlocked... wats going on?

OK, its unlocked in that it can take other SIM cards and make calls and transmit data via 3G/EDGE, but my wifi seems to be disabled (even in airplane mode).

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 7:33 am

steo wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
durain wrote:Singtel phones are unlocked by IDA regulation. Any sim card works. I imagine it is the same for other carriers.
I just found out from the Apple Service Center in Canada that my Singtel iPhone is locked, and cannot take the iOS4 update. Apple's KB site says Singtel phones are unlocked... wats going on?

OK, its unlocked in that it can take other SIM cards and make calls and transmit data via 3G/EDGE, but my wifi seems to be disabled (even in airplane mode).
Take it to Singtel repair center and get it replaced. All phones MUST be unlocked. And wifi is not supposed to work in airplane mode.