Singapore Expats

I want to write!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
mbarbeito

I want to write!

Post by mbarbeito » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 4:16 pm

hi I just moved here and I am in the process of looking for a job...my ideal job would be one with some flexibility in schedule and it would involve some kind of writing....

any ideas where I can look, start? i am not holding my breath and i am looking for more practical and conventional jobs, but thought I would post this here as this forum has been really helpful for many other things!!!

thanks!

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 4:35 pm

You mean you want to work as a writer or journalist? That will be tough, especially if you are not a PR or citizen. Best place to start would be a degree in journalism and then trying SPH?
a.k.a. littlegreenman

mbarbeito

I want to write!

Post by mbarbeito » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 4:54 pm

econoMIC wrote:You mean you want to work as a writer or journalist? That will be tough, especially if you are not a PR or citizen. Best place to start would be a degree in journalism and then trying SPH?
yup...that's what I meant...o...thanks for the "getting a degree" idea I had already thought about it and may be the only way of doing it...

What's SPH? Sorry I don't know what that stands for...

thanks for the reply!

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 6:50 pm

Singapore Press Holdings

mbarbeito

I want to write!

Post by mbarbeito » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 8:36 am

Thanks!!!!

lumi

Post by lumi » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:08 am

you could do some freelance writing for time out magazine. check out their website under the jobs section.

mbarbeito

I want to write!

Post by mbarbeito » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 9:39 am

Thank you!!! I will check Time Out!

Thanks for all the ideas!
Madeline

ceej1979
Regular
Regular

Re: I want to write!

Post by ceej1979 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 7:25 am

mbarbeito wrote:hi I just moved here and I am in the process of looking for a job...my ideal job would be one with some flexibility in schedule and it would involve some kind of writing....

any ideas where I can look, start? i am not holding my breath and i am looking for more practical and conventional jobs, but thought I would post this here as this forum has been really helpful for many other things!!!

thanks!
A lot of people who want to write tend to have already done a lot of amateur work already.

You don't need to work for a magazine, to be a contributor on a fan site, or to write a blog, or things like that.

The advent of the internet means the publishers tend to expect prospective to writers to already have done lots of stuff under their own steam already.

When I applied foe my job, I'd already published about 20 articles, on a web site, and generated over half a million reads/hits.

If you really want it. That's what you need to do. Join a good fan contribution site or fan blog, and just have something to show them.

I don't think just wanting to write, and having a degree cuts it these days. The internet has changed a lot of things

pills

Post by pills » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:15 am

yes, what about earing your income by writing article online or starting a blog etc?

it doesn't have to be offline.

juts do a search online and find out more. good luck! ;)

ceej1979
Regular
Regular

Post by ceej1979 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 2:09 am

pills wrote:yes, what about earing your income by writing article online or starting a blog etc?

it doesn't have to be offline.

juts do a search online and find out more. good luck! ;)
Earning potential for online writing ranges from 0 to next to nothing these days. Unless you can get a job with a very big web site. Like ESPN, or Fox News, or CBS. And they tend to use established writers.

The basic premise is that there are millions of people world wide, writing on every subject imaginable. People who set up web sites don't need to pay anyone.

They just say "write for free, and I'll publish it for free".

Endless line of people willing to write for free, as it's the only way to eventually get paid for it!

It's going even further. The recent trend is that major sites, like ESPN, CBS, are now forming partnerships with fan contribution sites, and they are using their content for free!

So you write for free. ESPN picks it up. And your an ESPN journalist for 15 minutes of fame without them paying a dime!

Writing online. It's the way to make a living eventually. But don't expect to get paid for a number of years

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 1:52 pm

maybe submit unsolicited contributions to some papers.