Singapore Expats

Looking for job for wife who has dependent pass

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
somesh

Looking for job for wife who has dependent pass

Post by somesh » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 8:19 pm

We are moving in mid-March and I have an E pass. My wife has been working in India in the commercial/private banking vertical for 4 years. Could someone suggest a suitable route to find a job for her? Any consultants etc for finance?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 8:31 pm

Use the classified here, in the local papers or use the Job boards like monster, jobdb, jbstreet, etc.

Do not use the forum for job hunting.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:00 am

Very tough for spouse to get job here mate. Dont count on it. I mean be prepared to spend months and months for hunting. In Private/Comercial banking there is enough local talent and the lack of local experience would make it extremely hard for your wife to find a job here. I am not discouraging. Its just that the market here is so small, unlike other developed countries. So take into account all this before you arrive.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:57 am

I came across this one just yesterday - http://www.efinancialcareers.sg/

All the best!

somesh

Post by somesh » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:05 am

thx for ur responses mate !

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 5:38 pm

good luck !!
I am on a DP. I posted my resume on a few of those job recruitment websites and emailed a few agencies, not really actively looking but just testing the waters. Got a few phone calls for interviews etc but when i told them that i am on a DP, i either get ' i call you back' or the phone hung up on me. Very rude. I did state i am on 'DP' on my resume.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:05 am

amiee40 wrote:good luck !!
I am on a DP. I posted my resume on a few of those job recruitment websites and emailed a few agencies, not really actively looking but just testing the waters. Got a few phone calls for interviews etc but when i told them that i am on a DP, i either get ' i call you back' or the phone hung up on me. Very rude. I did state i am on 'DP' on my resume.
Most employers don't know that a DP is very easy to hire. You should consider bringing along a simple letter showing how to apply for a letter of consent, and that DP's don't pay CPF, don't require and employment pass, etc.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:39 am

amiee40 wrote:good luck !!
the phone hung up on me
This is quite common in Singapore unfortunately, though I don't think they believe it to be rude it's more of a bad habit, when busy or unhappy life on the red dot!

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:06 am

To continue with the story. At the time i posted my resume on Monster.com, i was thinking of looking for work after i finished my MBA in Singapore. I changed my mind recently and forgot to withdraw my resume from that particular website. When i got the first phone call, i did say to the recruiter that i am not looking for work and not interested anymore, but she insisted on chit chatting away to get more information. I told her that i am not PR or citizen, the phone went died.
To me, that was abit rude, she wasted my time in chit chatting away when at the start, i told her i wasn't interested anymore. If i was in her shoes, i would've ended the conversation with a simple 'thank you' or 'i see'. More courteous.
After that incident, i did delete my Monster.com account but somehow my contact details is still on some of the recruiter's database, so still get an odd call once awhile.

somesh

Post by somesh » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:21 pm

thanks a ton for ur updates amiee and strong eagle..very helpful