Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
barney88

Post by barney88 » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 4:54 am

gnip : no worries, u can attend the march walk-in in march! :)

hmm, sometimes i wonder the dream of me being SIA crew is only a dream.
i wish to be one, but somehow i only see slim chance on me.

pho87

Post by pho87 » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:59 pm

barney88 wrote:hmm, sometimes i wonder the dream of me being SIA crew is only a dream.
i wish to be one, but somehow i only see slim chance on me.
you'd never know till you've tried. :wink: it might help if you have a friend whose dream is also getting into sq, where you will both motivate each other... because that helped me tremendously during the interview rounds and anxious waiting period before confirmation. the impossible CAN happen !!!

CabinCrewKristine

Post by CabinCrewKristine » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 3:04 pm

Plvt,

thanks for your feedback =)

Hey Barney,

if its your dream.. then you should at least give it a shot... I mean... you don't want to sit back in life and wonder about the "what if" in the future right ?

One of the best quote that still stick in my mind is this - The time you fail... is the last time you try...

and yes, pho87 is right... if you have a friend, it'll help ease your tension.. because... the wait can really be very long because of a lot of applicants - after all... its the best job in the world...

What i would suggest is.. you need to prepare yourself for the interview instead of just "going for it". rehearse yourself with the possible questions so that you don't go "brain dead" when the interviewers ask the question and you also will give a better and correct answer.

Last of all.. smile.. =P

Good luck !
Kristine
Tons of Cabin Crew Tips - http://siacabincrew.wordpress.com

Gnip
Regular
Regular

Post by Gnip » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 3:13 pm

Hello Kristine! (: How many times did you attempt, before you got in?

And has anyone tried more than 3 times thus far?
Helloo! (:

iamwz

Post by iamwz » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 3:52 pm

hi, i am new here. i 23 years old this year. male :]

have few question to ask.

1) my age too old as steward?
2) what should guy wear for the interview?
3) what they look for steward? look or?

Many thanks :]~

CabinCrewKristine

Post by CabinCrewKristine » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 4:04 pm

hi Gnip,

I got in on my first attempt =P

and yes... I do have friends who got in after 3 times.. but the thing is.. you must know what is the thing that "cause the elimination" from your previous attempt and improve from there.

and for iamwz,

you are not old at all.. please...

one of batch mate was even 27 when he got in... if i din remember wrongly... 27 or 28... erm... but.. 23 is definitely young =P

Dress wise, don't come overly-dressed... shirt, pants with ties is by far the most standard I've seen..

hope this helps

Kristine
Tons of Cabin Crew Tips - http://siacabincrew.wordpress.com

iamwz

Post by iamwz » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 4:38 pm

hello kristine,

thank for your answers.
but i still not very sure about what to wear for the interview part. jeans with shirt or tee issit okay? :]

lingg

Post by lingg » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 9:01 pm

to:iamwz,

i jux went for e jan walk in. I din see any guys wearing jeans nor t-shirt. All i saw were shirt n pants, mostly with a tie. During my final round, guys were all in their formal dress. So i don't think that jeans is appropriate for a job interview like this.

iamwz

Post by iamwz » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:13 am

lingg, thank alot :]]
excuses are for loser

derenla

Post by derenla » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:37 am

thanks kristine! i went to your website. it's really helpful :)

and may i ask what do girls usually wear? any first timer gg for the march walk in??

wennie

Post by wennie » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 1:19 pm

barney88 wrote:hello, is anyone going to the feb walk-in at penang ?
Hi barney,im thinking to go for a try but my condition is not as gud as the seniors mention..T.T

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 1:21 pm

Gnip wrote: And has anyone tried more than 3 times thus far?
Hi Gnip, it has been a long time since you started trying, Remember the TCS? she tried like 8-10 time before she got in, read it in the news paper years back and there are members here who got in after their 7thwalk in's :wink:

Good luck!!! :D

Please don't mention the names of training centre staff in the open threads to protect their privacy. Thank you.

Plavt.

Moderator.

namron02

Post by namron02 » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 4:11 pm

CabinCrewKristine wrote:hi Gnip,

I got in on my first attempt =P

and yes... I do have friends who got in after 3 times.. but the thing is.. you must know what is the thing that "cause the elimination" from your previous attempt and improve from there.

Kristine
I don't think anyone could know the reason that cause the elimination unless its obvious during the interview like you stumbled a lot or you didn't talk much or your body gesture all over the place.

They won't tell you why you're eliminated and I've seen people who looked the part, spoke very well, great figure but didn't get through.

I've never believed in luck but I did after I went for the interview. It's luck. I mean, you could be interviewed by interviewer A and don't get through but say you could rewind time and be interviewed by interviewer B and you get through, then you know, it depends.

Just keep trying and from I heard, there's 6 months ban imposed on you if you're eliminated the final round, i.e the management round which sucks obviously. I don't know if its OFFICIALLY true though. But look at the bright side, during the 6 months, don't fret, slit your wrists etc. Go upgrade yourself, take up another language or two.

And finally, do not be too happy when you get through the final round cause you could still be eliminated after the medical check up and swimming test.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 4:32 pm

namron02 wrote:
They won't tell you why you're eliminated and I've seen people who looked the part, spoke very well, great figure but didn't get through.
Simple arithmetic: Suppose an employer has 20 vacancies and 200 applicants (such or similar happens given the current economic climate). When the employer has compiled a short-list they might select say 60 candidates out of which 25 maybe suitable (companies are unwilling to admit this so it seems) which means the choice then really does become a 'lottery.' as it is pot-luck who gets lucky. My own feeling is that sometimes the unsuitable gets selected and a suitable applicant gets turned away - you can see plenty of examples if you look.

The six-month ban is not a ban but a deferment and confirmed by other posters and is both common and logical as the risk is they would spend over much time interviewing unsuitable applicants if they were allowed to re-apply straight away. In the UK such deferments are usually a year - time to think, research and plan.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 4:35 pm

namron02 wrote: And finally, do not be too happy when you get through the final round cause you could still be eliminated after the medical check up and swimming test.
I am believe from what has been said on this board there is no longer any swimming test (ask around), as regards the medical it pays to either check yourself or better still have an alternative plan as regards employment. Never rely on one thing alone unless you have to.