Singapore Expats

Best place for business ..yes but how successful startups r?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
gamma

Best place for business ..yes but how successful startups r?

Post by gamma » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 7:52 pm

I seek genuine views from bloggers about success ratio of start up small business in singapore. It is one of the best place for business. Does it mean that competition is intense and startups find it difficult to survive?. I am looking to move to sing for work/business. Is there any restriction on repatriation of capital/profit.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:00 pm

No restrictions or tax on repatriation of capital or profits. Competition depends upon industry and marketing moxy.

But you do need to write a business plan to convince the authorities you know what you are doing.

jpatokal

Re: Best place for business ..yes but how successful startup

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:08 pm

gamma wrote:I seek genuine views from bloggers about success ratio of start up small business in singapore. It is one of the best place for business. Does it mean that competition is intense and startups find it difficult to survive?. I am looking to move to sing for work/business. Is there any restriction on repatriation of capital/profit.
Chart of the day:

Note: Data from Office of Advocacy of the U.S. Small Business Administration, not Singapore, but I doubt it's much different over here.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:00 am

There is some interesting research on the internet with regards to Business in Singapore and if you look hard enough you will also find the statistics on failures too. Contact Acra they will have a good insight to the truth. My own guess is 9 out of 10 fail within the first 3 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/24/busin ... ing24.html

There are also some points you may wish to think about from the survey in New Zealand

http://www.smu.edu.sg/events/apira/2004 ... escott.pdf

Many entrepreneurs need to outsource their weak areas, after a SWOT as been carefully done, business is like education, it's never ending, the hardest thing of all is how do you identify a good business leader or Consultant from a poor one!

Is it by the car he drives? How does one measure success? How do you become a leader? Knowing where you belong in the hierarchy, will also help you with what you have to do, to be successful if you are uncomfortable leading appoint someone.

Not all people are leaders, and not all business is successful, being flexible and able to sacrifice your pawns to save the queen is always a tough call. collecting assets and not liabilities is one key to success, it includes your employees too, if they don't perform, why keep them. Reward those that perform they have earned it, they make money for you, treat them well.

All business is team work, so share the spirit with all that have earned it!

gamma

Thanks

Post by gamma » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 2:48 am

Thanks ksl for very useful post. Newyork times article is thought provoking. Hmm.. probably singpore government never intended to kill innovation but it looks like a by product of too much of control and spoon feeding. But i am optimistic.. Probably an outsider like me could still managed do well and survive.

Buy the way i could not open the other link in your post.

any other use ful comments from fellow bloggers.
ksl wrote:There is some interesting research on the internet with regards to Business in Singapore and if you look hard enough you will also find the statistics on failures too. Contact Acra they will have a good insight to the truth. My own guess is 9 out of 10 fail within the first 3 years.

There are also some points you may wish to think about from the survey in New Zealand

http://www.smu.edu.sg/events/apira/2004 ... escott.pdf.

Many entrepreneurs need to outsource their weak areas, after a SWOT as been carefully done, business is like education, it's never ending, the hardest thing of all is how do you identify a good business leader or Consultant from a poor one!

Is it by the car he drives? How does one measure success? How do you become a leader? Knowing where you belong in the hierarchy, will also help you with what you have to do, to be successful if you are uncomfortable leading appoint someone.

Not all people are leaders, and not all business is successful, being flexible and able to sacrifice your pawns to save the queen is always a tough call. collecting assets and not liabilities is one key to success, it includes your employees too, if they don't perform, why keep them. Reward those that perform they have earned it, they make money for you, treat them well.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Thanks

Post by ksl » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:16 am

gamma wrote:Thanks ksl for very useful post. Newyork times article is thought provoking. Hmm.. probably singpore government never intended to kill innovation but it looks like a by product of too much of control and spoon feeding. But i am optimistic.. Probably an outsider like me could still managed do well and survive.

Buy the way i could not open the other link in your post.

any other use ful comments from fellow bloggers.
ksl wrote:There is some interesting research on the internet with regards to Business in Singapore and if you look hard enough you will also find the statistics on failures too. Contact Acra they will have a good insight to the truth. My own guess is 9 out of 10 fail within the first 3 years.

http://www.smu.edu.sg/events/apira/2004 ... escott.pdf.

Sorry about that, try this link http://www.smu.edu.sg , then search for prescott.pdf

It all depends on what you are thinking of doing actually, if you would like to PM me, I could evaluate it a little better and maybe give you some good advice.

My belief is that survivors will always survive in Singapore, where there is a will, there is a way!

gamma

PM not allowed

Post by gamma » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 5:42 pm

Hi KSL, I could not PM you. I don't have enough post to do that. I don't know how many posts i need to do "PM"

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: PM not allowed

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 5:43 pm

gamma wrote:Hi KSL, I could not PM you. I don't have enough post to do that. I don't know how many posts i need to do "PM"

Five - anti-spam measure. Reply to this and you're in.

gamma

Re: PM not allowed

Post by gamma » Sat, 05 Sep 2009 3:58 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
gamma wrote:Hi KSL, I could not PM you. I don't have enough post to do that. I don't know how many posts i need to do "PM"

Five - anti-spam measure. Reply to this and you're in.
yup..

jesse.armand

Re: Best place for business ..yes but how successful startup

Post by jesse.armand » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:51 am

gamma wrote:I seek genuine views from bloggers about success ratio of start up small business in singapore. It is one of the best place for business. Does it mean that competition is intense and startups find it difficult to survive?. I am looking to move to sing for work/business. Is there any restriction on repatriation of capital/profit.
I still see Singapore as a place that still has opportunities compared to the dense and aggressive software industry in Silicon Valley as an example (from my point of view as a software engineer).

But, it will all depend on how do you gather your team with the right talents to run your startup company and creating successful products or services.

The Remittance Man

Post by The Remittance Man » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:03 pm

Purely anecdotal, but I work for a startup here which is in reasonably good shape. Two years in business (of which I've been on board for about a year and a half - since April 08) and counting!
I pay FIVE DOLLARS for something and then I LOSE it!

nyc4ever

Post by nyc4ever » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 7:00 am

i'm fairly new to sg, but i love it. singapore is one of the most friendly cities when it comes to expats for business. singapore's economic model needs foreigners (high income and low income) in order to thrive for the future. competition is intense because it is a world class city with world class standards. but the business environment is very conducive to doing business. the rule of law exists, singaporeans are super smart, everyone speaks english, many tax incentives, etc