Singapore Expats

Moving from Ireland, expecting baby no 3 in SP-advice needed

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Kofki

Moving from Ireland, expecting baby no 3 in SP-advice needed

Post by Kofki » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 1:41 am

My Husband and I are moving to Singapore for 2 years. We have 2 children (3.5 years and 15 months) and are expecting baby no. 3 in April. My Husband's employers have suggested transferring our medical insurance to a local insurance provider but given the fact that I am due in April can anyone please advise if I should stay with my current Irish Medical insurance provider? Also, do I need to complete any paperwork in advance of the birth - I read on another forum about a visa for 'seeking permission to deliver a child in Singapore' ?

Finally, can anyone please clarify the role of a maid in Sinapore? The role is referred to quite often. Is it a live in/live out position/ Is the role to help with children or domestic duties only? What are the going rates? For weekly cleaning/ironing services what is the best route to go down?

All advice gratefully received!!

Regards,

Kofki

mumfromOz

Post by mumfromOz » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:03 pm

Hi!

Re: insurance/giving birth in Singapore you may find this thread helpful:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... 69&start=0

Re: role of a maid in singapore - they are generally supposed to be something like the UK equivalent of "mother's helper" only with lots more housekeeping duties. It is usually live in for full time domestic helpers and their salaries range btw $350-$600 SGD per month depending on experience. you generally get them via maid-agencies. i found "Agape" maid agency at the 5th floor of tanglin shopping centre helpful when searching for my maid. came across it by accident when dropping my children off at The Thinking Box nursery and preschool next door (lovely little place by the way -very suited to all newcomers with young ones - small classes and cosy feel run by an aussie lady- both my kids adore it there).

for weekly services, you can google A-team Amahs or Mrs Sparkles - the going rates are between $12-15 per hour for general cleaning, ironing etc with a minimum of 3-4 hours i think.

hope this helps and welcome to singapore!

Kofki

Post by Kofki » Sun, 10 Jan 2010 3:15 am

Hi MumfromOz,

Thanks so much for your detailed info..I'm fairly overwhelmed at the prospect of this move but then again it has only been a number of days since we accepted the offer and we are due to move in 6 weeks time!
I am still confused re. private health insurance - should we have it? Is Singapore like the USA where you 'have' to have it or is it acceptable to pay as you go on a private basis?
Re. maids - given the fact that we will have 3 children under 4, the option seems appealing. However, my 3.5 year old and 15 month old will be at daycare (morning's) so I am not sure what the maid would be needed for. Is cooking included? Is it expected that she eat /hang out with the family or how does this work?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for nice settled areas for landed houses or cluster homes (ideally with a bit of character??).

Thanks again for your help.

Kofki

tjwonders

Post by tjwonders » Sun, 10 Jan 2010 3:18 pm

My family has had a few maids or helpers before and yes, they cooked for us and went out with us when needed (help with the kids etc). We even took her back to Dublin with us once for a holiday as my family had 3 kids under 3 back then! Usually most maids don't hang out with the family all the time as they stay back at the house to cook/clean etc but if you need help with the kids or extra hands to carry your grocery bags, the helpers can go out with you. :)
nice to meet you all and cheers!!

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 2:18 pm

Hi there

We ahve been here 5 years and moved when I was 23 weeks preg with twins from Ireland. If you are over 24 weeks you may have to get special permission to enter but it is a mere formality as it is to stop people coming to singapore and having babies and leaving them here. So basically when you apply for your dependents pass get the employer to apply for the right to give birth too. It is on the MOM web page.

We did not bring our health cover with us but asked for work to cover the cost of the birth..I stayed in the national university hospital for 7 days with 2 children delivered by section and all up a cost Sing $13500. We have never taken out health insurance as work covers the big stuff should it ever happen and a stay in hospital in private ward over night is about $350.

We didn't have a maid for the first 6 months (ie the first 10 weeks of the twins) but since my husband as most travels and it seems the whole society is based on maids being around we got one and have never looked back. They are easy to get and plentiful and often a friend can help you out when you get here. My maids knows a few girls looking for work on transfer around the time you get here. Yes they live with you but many landed properties have separate quarters and most flats strategically place the maids' rooms away even if they have no consideration for the size of the room. You'll hear lots more about that when you get here.

We live in a black and white which you can find on www.spio.sla.gov.sg the ones for rent though not much up there at the moment because of christmas.

My advice is get work to pay for some time in Treetops Serviced Apartments then look when you get here.

Have you sorted schools for the kids as that is the real biggie here.

Anything more let me know
Megan

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 7:50 pm

yep, look for a school first, then where to live. what you dont want is to live way out of the school.

Kofki

Post by Kofki » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Megan,

Thanks so much for your mail and info. My husband's co. have been saying that they will pay for any medical expenses but after 4 years in the USA I am 'terrified' (!!) of not having health insurance - thanks for the reassurance.

In terms of districts, my husband will be working in district 20 but he is willing to commute. The priority is to get a nice house with pool in an area with some character. We are looking at schools at the moment - my 2 girls are 3.5 years and 15 months; I am thinking of Tanglin trust/Rosemary Hall (for them seperately) or Eton House (together). Do you have any advice re. schools or districts to live in? By the way, what is a 'black and white'??!!

Did you bring all of your furniture with you? Are there any items in particular that I should bring? Is it easy to get baby equipment/supplies there? Anf finally, do we need a car given that we will have 3 kids under 3 and may live slightly outside the city?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Kofki

mumfromOz

Post by mumfromOz » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:29 am

hi kofki:

sorry, not well versed with the insurance situation (hubby's co covers everything) so sorry not to be much further help.

black and white refers to the older colonial bungalows in singapore - there are some nice ones near tanglin trust school.

i didn't bring anything with me when moving. lots of stuff made for other countries doesn't always react well to the humidity here so i bought stuff here, made to withstand the weather. No problem with baby equipment - there's plenty of places for anything and everything you could possibly need for a newborn.

If you're going to look for a house in a place with character, then yes, a car would be most convenient with 3 kids - and the safer option. Taxis are readily available but don't have car seats for kids. Also, houses are more often that not, not near MRT lines or buses which make going out a hassle with out a car.

tried eton house, classes too big and disorganized for my liking. tanglin trust - i gather that your husband's co will be picking up the school fees and the entrance fee to get a spot. otherwise there will be a waitlist...
i chose The Thinking Box for it's cosy atmosphere for my two lttle ones...lots of attention and not a big unwieldy space. all depends what you're looking for in a school i guess. i like small, clean, boutiquey spaces, but that's me :-)

hope this helps!

Kofki

Post by Kofki » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 4:05 am

Hi MumfromOz,

Great Info - thanks so much! We are have decided to bring all our furniture because to be honest it is too much hassle to leave it in storage and I cannot deal with sorting and packing right now - so it's a case of get the packers in, get it on a ship and deal with it when we get there!

I like the idea of a house slightly out so thanks for the advice re. car - will definitely go with that, though hate the idea of having to get a 6/7 seater due to 3 baby/infant seats!!!

You're right - school fees will be paid for though that isn't influencing my choice. To be honest, I haven't even started contacting schools yet - I guess I'm putting that off and need to act next week. My two daughters are currently in a fantastic pre-school that is small, informal and really stimulating - to be honest it's one of the things that we really hate leaving.. I know that my eldest will have to start school this year (she turns 4 at the end of July) so I guess that's what's throwing me - I had just found a nice, non-denominational, multi-cultural school here - so I need to start all over again. Will definitely check out 'The Thinking Box' though.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Best regards,

Kofki

Susan Lee

Post by Susan Lee » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:00 am

Hi Kofki,
The Thinking Box sounds like just what you're looking for. My son also goes here. He LOVES it!!!
All the best
Susan

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 8:47 am

Hi there

Sorry for being short will write more later but some info.

1. yes I would say you need a car if you are living out a little bit and with three kids you and a maid the taxi would be a squish and sometimes the driving is a bit frightening BUT having said that you can survive without one esp as your eldest will be in school and can take the school bus

2. We didn't bring much furniture with us but the pieces we bought are now practically wrecked because the humidity has made them warp but then they weren't very good pieces in the first place. The beds were not a problem! but I would not bother bringing your duvets etc

3. On schools..Tanglin has a 18 month to 2 year waiting list for 4 year olds, I put my lads down when they were 3 months old and they have got a place now. UWC (dover) has a 4 to 5 year waiting list, Dover court has about 6 months waiting list. UWC have apparently filled all their placement rights but Tanglin still ahs some so for the small fee of $165000 you can get a place. Canadian School is full until the new year in August as is the German European School. Ofs probably has places but it is not everyone's cup of tea because it is soooo big and sometimes gets the reputation of a holding school as people wait for spots elsewhere but I know people who love it. Eton House at Orchard is full with a waiting list too. There is another school called St josephs international (don't freak they are not allowed to teach religion in the school in Singapore so effectively non demoninational) which is getting a good reputation and a lovely small little school called Avondale grammar but it doesn't follow the british school year timetable so you holidays are at christmas. For a small wonderful school I am hearing good things about One world international.

4. Housing...the options here are really 4 fold. Large condo...lot so fpeople, great facilities, cluster house.....effectively terrace or semi detached houses in a gated community for wnt of a better words, shared pool can be big or small and facilities vary but all ahve at least a shared pool...house...semi detached house with own area which may include a yard and pool..bungalow is a standalone house and vary from small and compat to absolutely huge.

5. Don't be daunted by all this Singapore is a great place to live and once you are settled you and the kids will love it...

lol
megan

Kofki

Post by Kofki » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Megan,

$165k - don't think our company will go for that surprisingly!!! Wow! I would never have thought it would be so diffcult to get into a fee paying Nursery school! Have applied to all the schools you suggested. Am also thinking of The Thinking Box or Rosemount Hall whilst I wait for a place in TT or Eton House.

Thanks again all all the info - will go with the house (perhaps slightly further out, maid and car). Now just need to get packing!!

Best regards,

Kofki

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 8:39 pm

Kofki -
It's good that you are at least applying now to the schools you are interested in - you never know the fluctuations between class years and openings. I put my eldest down for two schools in 2006 being told neither would have a place for Kindergarten in 2009. A space did happen to come up last year - but we decided (for various reasons) to hold off and send him to St. Joseph's this past August. He's really thriving and loves going to school. In re: to Eton House Orchard - same thing with my little one - she'd been waiting for a spot and we'd been told nothing until next year and got a call that a family was moving and she could start right away... so you never know.

In re: to medical insurance - if your husband's company is picking up the major bills then you'll be okay. Even paying out of pocket is not like the US. Though - that being said - we have opted for cover outside of my husband's company insurance since it is not the most thorough coverage. I pay approx $3500 USD extra a year for myself and two children - but this is strictly b/c I'm very nervous that should we have any major medical issues I'm not 100% sure my husband's company would cover.

I also agree that with 3 small children you'll be best suited with a car. I've been traveling with 2 in a taxi for 3 years I can't imagine what that would be like with 3 - especially a newborn!

Singapore is a great place for a young family - agreed that once you get settled it'll be a breeze :)

Ryan Sng

Post by Ryan Sng » Mon, 18 Jan 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Kofki,

There are many schools in Tanglin Rd area. But you must find a school that targeted your kids age group and education needs. There's a school in Tanglin Road called Genius Space. You might want to check out their website at www.genius-space.com
There are many positive reviews about this school. You might want to give it a try.
Cheers!
Kofki wrote:Hi Megan,

Thanks so much for your mail and info. My husband's co. have been saying that they will pay for any medical expenses but after 4 years in the USA I am 'terrified' (!!) of not having health insurance - thanks for the reassurance.

In terms of districts, my husband will be working in district 20 but he is willing to commute. The priority is to get a nice house with pool in an area with some character. We are looking at schools at the moment - my 2 girls are 3.5 years and 15 months; I am thinking of Tanglin trust/Rosemary Hall (for them seperately) or Eton House (together). Do you have any advice re. schools or districts to live in? By the way, what is a 'black and white'??!!

Did you bring all of your furniture with you? Are there any items in particular that I should bring? Is it easy to get baby equipment/supplies there? Anf finally, do we need a car given that we will have 3 kids under 3 and may live slightly outside the city?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Kofki

smfriesen

Thank you!

Post by smfriesen » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:07 am

I am 5 months along and we also have an 18m old. Your questions hit the targets for what I was wondering. All the advice has been wonderfully helpful. I have alot of work to do.