Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
natalatte

Post by natalatte » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 9:14 pm

jeuleque wrote:i heard during the medical check up, there will be a breast check up for lumps.
what if i have lumps, but i have medical records to show that it is not dangerous or growing or anything cancerous, it's just hormonal stuff....no need to take it out.
will it be a problem? will i not pass the test? i'm really worried now.
frankly speaking we wont be able to tell you. Cause afterall it's up to the clinic's doctor to judge. sorry about it!
♥ A great way to fly ♥

namron02

Post by namron02 » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:21 pm

Hello guys.

Quick question.

Someone told me that after you apply, if you get eliminated the last round, which is the management round, you cannot apply again for 6 months. Is this true?

I know that you can apply again and again if you get eliminated the first or second round cause my friends keep applying but what if you get eliminated the 3rd round?

Do let me know. I've send my enquiry to SIA but yet to receive any reply.

missSHER
Regular
Regular

Post by missSHER » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:32 pm

namron02 wrote:Hello guys.

Quick question.

Someone told me that after you apply, if you get eliminated the last round, which is the management round, you cannot apply again for 6 months. Is this true?

I know that you can apply again and again if you get eliminated the first or second round cause my friends keep applying but what if you get eliminated the 3rd round?

yeap. thats what i heard too.
if you get all the way to the management round but get booted out there, a ban of 6 months will be imposed on you.

namron02

Post by namron02 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 2:00 am

missSHER wrote:
namron02 wrote:Hello guys.

Quick question.

yeap. thats what i heard too.
if you get all the way to the management round but get booted out there, a ban of 6 months will be imposed on you.
Thanks for the reply. But it seems that we both 'heard' about it. Is it OFFICIALLY true? Like for real. I mean, they should state it somewhere or at least inform those booted out.

soul0708

Post by soul0708 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 5:02 am

soul0708 wrote:hi jus wanna check if guys must be of a decent build to be qualified to be air steward?

cuz im on the slim side but im really interested in flying.

my face n hands has no scars or whatsoever jus that im thin :(

am i still eligible?
any hlp on this? :(

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 8:42 am

namron02 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. But it seems that we both 'heard' about it. Is it OFFICIALLY true? Like for real. I mean, they should state it somewhere or at least inform those booted out.
yup, it's true. i experienced it firsthand. haha.

pho87

Post by pho87 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 1:14 pm

strictly-vintage wrote:hey guys,
just to let you know - my friend got through the interview during the dec walk in and due to the medical check up, he was not seleted. the medical round at present has been said to be also another elimination point. 16 was left out of the 32 who made it through. SIA seems to be very choosy at present. they only want the finest.
that's worrying. i just went for my scoliosis x-ray today. realistically speaking, chances of having my med cleared is low because: 1) my spine has an obvious curve when i look in the mirror (one waist more curved in than the other), so my cobb's angle may be 20 deg or more, and

2) on the slip they gave me to bring to the x-ray, under my name there was "ALLERGY: SIAPEE". also at the clinic pc i saw that all the other girls in my batch had been cleared - mine was the only name with the words "SIAPEE" (i know, sounds funny right) under the allergy category. i guess i didn't clear the urine test either and they found some allergy ????

anyone in a similar situation ??? pls let me know, thks. :-|

pho87

Post by pho87 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 1:25 pm

soul0708, i doubt thinness would be an issue. :-) why don't you just try for the upcoming walk or write ins? you'll never know for sure till you try. :-)

charmaiin
Regular
Regular

Post by charmaiin » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 2:01 pm

pho87: well, i dont know about SIAPEE or what it might stand for.. but i'm also in the same situation as you, waiting for clearance after my scoliosis xray. many of my friends also had to go for some form of followup check up.. let's just hope for the best!

soul0708

Post by soul0708 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 6:24 pm

pho87 wrote:soul0708, i doubt thinness would be an issue. :-) why don't you just try for the upcoming walk or write ins? you'll never know for sure till you try. :-)
hm ok.. cuz gals they care bout being too skinny for the kebaya.. so was wonderin if guys they would mind about not having the build. =/

el-chan

Post by el-chan » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 6:36 pm

Hi everyone!!

I went for the walk-in interview at KL today. There were loads of people but I guess it cant beat the Singapore walk-ins. :) I got booted out in round 3, the kebaya round. :( But good experience for me, and I made so many friends. Haha... Anyway this is going to be a detailed story of what happened. ^^

I arrived at 8.10am and got a ticket to wait for my turn (it was B11). When someone called the range of numbers I was in, we were brought to another room which already have people in it. I spoke to a girl in that room and she said she arrived at 7.50am. Her number was A87. So there were already 100 candidates in the room before me.

We were then asked to submit our application form and show the certificates/ IC (but I was only asked to submit the form). Was ordered to wait outside the room. Then another lady arranged us in 10s. Brought us to another room where 2 interviewers sat. 1 pretty nice older lady and 1 really grumpy younger lady. :-| Sat in front of them in a row and was requested to stand up one by one to introduce ourselves. We were asked to tell them our hobbies. Then out we go to wait for results. I succeeded in round 1. With me were 3 other girls.

Then we were brought to another room and had to wait for quite a while. It was the game and 1 on 1 interview. Using UNO cards, a group of 4 candidates (to match up with 4 different panel of interviewers) are to match the cards according to colour and number. First group to match 5 pairs win. We were given like a minute to discuss our strategy. Like what others have said, I believe that it is merely to see if you are a team player. Then got sent out of the room and got called in again for a 1 on 1. From the game, I see that all interviewers were REALLY nice. My interviewer asked me to talk about myself and why I chose to join the airlines. Then was told to choose a card out of 5 (they were facing down) and I was to read the passage aloud. Based on that chosen scenario passage, the interviewer asked what would I do if I was the stewardess in the passage. After that I went out to wait for results. Out of the 8 for this round, I succeeded with 4 others.

Then we were brought to another room to test the kebaya and do some skin check. 4 of us girls went in leaving the other guy outside. Anyway, there were 6 pairs of kebaya (i think) hanging on a rack. They do not have sizes written on it, but I believe they are of different sizes. We were told to remove our watches and stockings. Once fitted into the kebaya, we were asked to walk to the interviewer from a distant (and walking with their flip flops). Stopping in front of the interviewer, she checked the face with just normal ceiling lights. Had to look left, centre, and right. Then I was asked to stretch out my hands and she looked and lifted the kebaya at the elbow area a little and looked again. Turned the hands upside down to see the other side. Then was asked to show my ankles. Followed by changing back to our clothes and going out to wait for the results. I think this was where I screwed up. The kebaya was too tight for me so I guess it did not look nice at all. :( From the 4 of us, 2 got through to the final interview.

I believe that the procedures are similar but not exactly the same. And, I have this feeling inside me that says this KL walk-in is easier than the Singapore ones that I've heard so far. But I cant really compare since I have not been to a Singapore interview. :D So anyway, hope this can help others prepare for the next intake. :)

Sorry for the super long post... :P
Cheers and good luck!!! :wink:

missSHER
Regular
Regular

Post by missSHER » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:07 pm

hey, not bad girl, you managed to get quite far!
do try again :)
anyway what question did you get during the 1-to-1 interview?
and what was your answer?

What's the point of quoting everything el-chan says when she can see only too well you are responding to her post? I keep trying to tell people you not only wasting space but making it difficult for other posters to find things. :roll:

Plavt.

Moderator.

pho87

Post by pho87 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:10 pm

charmiin: did several of your batchmates have to do a scoliosis x-ray too?
yes, let's just hope for the best. (but for me, a dose of realism is essential, otherwise i get carried away hehe). let's hope both of us and our batchmates who slogged thru all the rounds of anxiety / hope / nervousness etc will make it thru :-)

soul0708: well soul, that's what i thought too, until i met one of the girls who was shortlisted for the mgmt interview @ stc. she is very very skinny! however, she has a marvellous face. very pretty. and carries herself well. so my guess if you make up your thinness with confidence, bearing and presence, it shouldn't be a problem, yes?
for me, i thought that the two essential things to have while going thru the interview rounds were the ability to stay calm under anxiety/pressure and the ability to make the interviewers -like- you. because if they like you, whether it is your posture, personality, the way you speak, etc, then the likelihood of your going to the next round is higher. and lastly... the medical. it's unfortunate that the medical is the most difficult thing to pass if your body is predisposed a certain way. you can change the way you speak, your posture... but to correct a crooked spine for example will take months if it can even be fully corrected.
why not just give it a try? my friend convinced me to wake up early and go for the last walkin instead of going to mount faber (the original plan for a nice sunday, lol) - and then i got to the mgmt interview ! so you never know. at least even if you didn't make it to steward, you gave YOUR BEST. :D

soul0708

Post by soul0708 » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 2:05 am

thx for the encouragement! ok i think i will giv it a try for the nxt walk-in interview in sg. i actually wanted to go for the interview on 10th jan. but i decided against it cuz im in my final year of my studies and my final exams r in may. so i decide i will giv it a try shld thr be an interview in apr/may!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 6:08 am

multitasker wrote:thks, i need your help.. pls let me noe if tomo jux one day to finish the final rd or there's other day and how many grps ok.. THKS! n all e best...
Truly, this post deserves to stand in a prominent position in the "Mashed Singtextlish Hall of Fame".