Singapore Expats

Want to relocate to Singapore some possible issues though

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
indo79

Want to relocate to Singapore some possible issues though

Post by indo79 » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 8:30 am

Hello all,

I used to hold a Singapore PR from when I was 7 to 20. Went through the entire education system there and went to college in the US. Gave up my PR at the Washington DC embassy after my graduation and got a job here that paid quite well. Of course, at that age, I didn't want to be close to my parents, nor do NS, especially when the job paid quite well.

Fast forward 10 years and now I would like to be closer to my parents as they reside in Singapore. I would like to ask my company to transfer me there as they have an office with about 200 employees. I noticed on the MOM EP pass application that they ask whether you have entered Singapore using a different passport before and whether you were a Singapore PR before. Both my answers would be yes.

I have some CPF in Singapore, if I recall, only about $200 SGD. I worked in KFC for a year.

My question is, if I apply for an EP (salary would be more than the minimum, at least twice more), what are my chances of being approved? Will the fact that my family resides there be of any help?

Thanks

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 8:42 am

You've probably got absolutely no chance of ever getting an EP because you were previously a PR and skipped doing NS. You will probably get arrested and charge for failing to do NS.

Trying to abuse the PR system will only come back and haunt you.

indo79

Post by indo79 » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply, guess I will just visit them on my twice yearly visit to Singapore then :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:28 am

Be careful, as they are upgrading their national computer databases and linking all databases together for immigration. The will soon be able to pick up deserters even if they arrive on a tourist visa. You might be limited to flying to KL & driving down to Johor where they can come across the causeway to meet you. You are a prime example of what we are on about here. Shortsighted to the point where you have crippled your future choices. So may have done that and are now paying for it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

indo79

Post by indo79 » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Be careful, as they are upgrading their national computer databases and linking all databases together for immigration. The will soon be able to pick up deserters even if they arrive on a tourist visa. You might be limited to flying to KL & driving down to Johor where they can come across the causeway to meet you. You are a prime example of what we are on about here. Shortsighted to the point where you have crippled your future choices. So may have done that and are now paying for it.
Thanks for the advice. But I renounced my PR before they even called me up for NS. I have been able to go in and out of Singapore 3-4 times/year, most recently in December where I went in on Dec 11/17/18 and went out Dec 14/16/20. Never had any issues with immigration

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:13 pm

indo79 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. But I renounced my PR before they even called me up for NS. I have been able to go in and out of Singapore 3-4 times/year, most recently in December where I went in on Dec 11/17/18 and went out Dec 14/16/20. Never had any issues with immigration
You quoted you renounced your PR when you were 20, you would have got your inital NS enlistment papers before you were 18.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:19 pm

We are not talking about now, we are talking about some point in the near future. The on-going linking up of the 6 main databases is a WIP at the moment. I doubt we will be informed when it is actually fully functional as they will want to keep that information close to their chest for the obvious reasons. But it was in the news late last year that they are working on it. Possibly there is a way around it (name change with a new passport?) Otherwise, in the future all they need to do is input the flight manifest names into the system for matches before the flight even lands and if there are any flags there, then on arrival they might only need to look at those passports (which they do anyway) and on those with passports that were flagged due to matching names, just enter the DOB and see if there is a match there. A match could lead to further automated query into the ICA database which would then show PR for that person, when given up, whether NS done, etc. and end up with direct questioning by an officer and "boomz" your caught.

Like I said, it's not happening at the moment, but they are, at the moment, working on it. And you know how neat relational databases can be!

Good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

indo79

Post by indo79 » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:19 pm

That is correct, I don't remember the details but I think my parents had to pay for a bond to defer it until after I have finished college. And since I got a job offer, I decided to take it, and renounced it in DC. Never had a problem going back since. We (my bro and my sis) all got the chance to study here and we made our own decision as to whether we wanted to go back or not. My 2 younger siblings decided to go back and my bro did NS.

It's not a big deal if I do not get to work there, I just wanted to see if there is a chance, if not, I will look at other cities around that area. And it's not a decision I regret, it's a step I took when I was young and I look forward to my life no matter where it takes me

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:25 pm

Actually, saint, that's possible if the parents posted a bond for him. He might have gotten a deferment until he finished schooling if the plan was for him to give up his PR all along. But, posting a bond and not returning to Singapore would have had his parents losing the posted amount as well. Not real sure about this. But, it still sounds like he's in violation of Singapore Law (if he is in Singapore). However, even if his giving up PR was okay, he will never be able to work in Singapore as he has abused the system and not done his NS and the government here has a long, long memory.

indo79

Post by indo79 » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:38 pm

So I just talked to my dad and he told me we did everything the right way and that coming back to SG on a social visit pass will never be a problem for me. He also did not put up a bond, but it was a bank guarantee and that guarantee was not at default when I renounced it. He said the bank guarantee was to defer my NS enlistment until I finished college. I also gave up the PR prior to my NS enlistment.

Correct or not, I do not know, but it is what it is. Looks like Singapore is out for me :) Thanks everyone!

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 1:29 am

LOL seriously doing NS in singapore is not tiring...

just that is just wasting your entire 2 yrs time lol..

reservisits wise and ippt just a hoilday for some