Singapore Expats

New here and ya I am a pure singaporean here

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Re: New here and ya I am a pure singaporean here

Post by ev-disinfection » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 8:43 pm

jennisonruther wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote::oops: I hope will be interesting to stay here

happen to find this website by chance.
Hi....Well it is very pleasure to meet a Singaporean in singapore expats.
What a nice thing to say for your 1st post, welcome to the forum, tell all your friends about this forum, and post and share some more...

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 9:15 pm

ex-disinfection, you've got a positive attitude. Keep it up!

Well, many of us foreigners here say things that may sound surprising or at some instances even hard to digest... this is perhaps because the issues are loud and clear to us and 1) it could be quite different from our homeland (of course! :) 2) many times we look at one issue with various angles and it is quite natural for some of us to want to simplify things and even think on our own how should we improve it if we could.

However, I must say that most of us appreciate the many conveniences available in Singapore: food, transportation, supermarkets, trees, shopping, good currency, etc.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 9:57 pm

Good attitude, but still needs to learn the ropes around here. Eventually, he will learn to spot link spammers and not bother replying to them. He can be forgiven for that, as the S.O.B.'s even get by me occasionally! :x

jennisonruther is a case in point. He was spamming stretch jeans for a UK website in his signature. He gone now........ :cool:

wave bye-bye to jennison..... :wave: :devil:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:47 pm

:wave: hmmmm..... link spammers bad, no more link spammers good....
I will catch them next time...
Should have known better... when she said that
"it was a pleasure meeting a Singaporean here" :wave:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 6:39 am

ev-disinfection wrote:This will be changed by more interaction with not only the expats, but also by the locals who have the right attitudes and mentality. It just takes time, i try to share whatever i know to the people i meet, and will learn whatever i can from them.
I fear it will not happened within a lifespan of few generations if at all. It comes back to the critical mass and the very nature of the problem. This is how these interaction work in everyday life as per my perception: many people of mid and high management level acknowledge the problem but because it is so overwhelming there is not too much they can and want to do. It is not enough to show an example because it will be processed by most people on case by case bases - memorized for the particular case with no attempt to make it more abstract. It takes well over one year to grow some healthy "why-questioning" habits in a fully locally educated PhD (my experience), how bad it is then at lower education levels? And this requires an effort. Lots of it.
Your education system overloads children with tons of not really necessary knowledge limiting further what is already almost non-existent: natural curiosity of the things. And the highly competitive nature of the education teaches them to be successful at first place and this is what they get from it. This is exactly the attitude and mentality we are talking about so how do you expect this to be changed later?

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 8:05 pm

Hello X9200 and Happy New Year all..
Sorry to reply so late :D , but better late than never, i always say.

Be it a lifetime or 2, hopefully it will happen, that SG will become a truly gracious country, without our government need to encourage, in some ways SG is a lot better than say 30 years ago,
and i feel that we have achieved it by encouraging foreign companies into SG, and of course the expats.
By learning, sharing and understanding each other through the years and being more "Westernized" we have improved tremendously, compared with our neighbors.
And i think that by continuing to interact, we can have hope that 1 day, we will be a world class nation.
Our education system is changing, to groom the future generation of SG Boys and Girls to be more well rounded, and i have trust in our government, to show us the way, step by step.
I am proud to be a Singaporean...
More questions on what a local feels... please.

boliaopeople

Post by boliaopeople » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:02 pm

Dude with your avatar, I can roughly guess why you are here. Trying to get lucky ah? or hoping to find some sugardaddy :roll:

Please, you are making yourself look stupid while all this so call expats here laughing at you... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:19 pm

boliaopeople wrote:

Dude with your avatar, I can roughly guess why you are here. Trying to get lucky ah? or hoping to find some sugardaddy :roll:

Please, you are making yourself look stupid while all this so call expats here laughing at you... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Speaking of people making themselves look stupid........

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:21 pm

Frankly, he is more than welcome as at least, even with his belaboured English, he at least is honest and it's a refreshing change. Rather than diss him, you might want to take a good look at yourself to see why you have to try to put him down.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

boliaopeople

Post by boliaopeople » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, he is more than welcome as at least, even with his belaboured English, he at least is honest and it's a refreshing change. Rather than diss him, you might want to take a good look at yourself to see why you have to try to put him down.
Mate, because I've seen to many of this kind who will not think twice to look down their own kind just to be in the 'same level' as the expat.

I've nothing against Gay, or locals wanting to be expats, but I have problem with locals who do not respect themselves, their culture, their people, their believes.

What honesty are you referring too? Saying that most Singaporean do not know who is their PM as honest? Most Singaporean do not know the meaning of Majulah Singapura as honest? If those are honest to you, I guess he is just satisfying most of the expats here who like to put the locals down?

How many of those postings on top are posted out of respect for him or just making fun of him??

Cheers mate...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:46 am

oh good lord, this could turn ugly, like the other billion times before... #-o
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 1:22 am

boliaopeople wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, he is more than welcome as at least, even with his belaboured English, he at least is honest and it's a refreshing change. Rather than diss him, you might want to take a good look at yourself to see why you have to try to put him down.
Mate, because I've seen to many of this kind who will not think twice to look down their own kind just to be in the 'same level' as the expat.

I've nothing against Gay, or locals wanting to be expats, but I have problem with locals who do not respect themselves, their culture, their people, their believes.

What honesty are you referring too? Saying that most Singaporean do not know who is their PM as honest? Most Singaporean do not know the meaning of Majulah Singapura as honest? If those are honest to you, I guess he is just satisfying most of the expats here who like to put the locals down?

How many of those postings on top are posted out of respect for him or just making fun of him??

Cheers mate...
Hey boliaopeople,
Everyone has a right to their own opinion and can say they they want or feel, does not make them right or wrong, there are good and bad people everywhere, and you can choose to reply with anger or with peace...

It all depends on your objective, are you here to find trouble with everyone or to understand their culture, to share your experiences and generally to make friends with one another...

Will not help the "Locals" if we are ungracious to our expat friends...
"Some will laugh, some will pity, some will understand and some are truly friends"
"Negativity begets negativity" and that is my opinion. Peace...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:31 am

Wow, I just found this very interesting thread.
x9200 wrote:Your education system is vastly knowledge based (meant literally) - people know a lot of things but they do not work up on connections, they do not have problem solving abilities properly developed.
Agreed on the problem-solving, but am curious what you mean by not working up on connections? In my personal experience local businesses use a lot of connections for example in hiring or making deals, compared to MNCs which are more rules-based for example advertising jobs or inviting tenders. I'm not disagreeing and I'm sure you have a good point, because you are X9200 :) I'd like to understand your POV more.

ps: I just realised I quoted your post from one year ago so if you can't remember why you said what you did, never mind.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:38 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Wow, I just found this very interesting thread.
x9200 wrote:Your education system is vastly knowledge based (meant literally) - people know a lot of things but they do not work up on connections, they do not have problem solving abilities properly developed.
Agreed on the problem-solving, but am curious what you mean by not working up on connections?
I think he meant connecting ideas, based on his premise that it's knowledge-based and poor problem solving abilities. Just inferring.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:41 am

ev-disinfection wrote:i have trust in our government, to show us the way, step by step.
I am proud to be a Singaporean...
More questions on what a local feels... please.
Hey EV, I'm glad you're on this forum!

I agree with almost everything you said except... I would like to see more Singaporeans not depending on the government to show us the way step-by-step. First of all, we cannot assume that we will always have a good government like we do now. Secondly, there is no single 'correct' way and even if the government shows a good way forward, we are more robust as a society if we can find several good ways across the board.