Singapore Expats

Melbourne not safe for students, India warns

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

Melbourne not safe for students, India warns

Post by revhappy » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:37 pm

Now Australia will be out of the radar for Indian Expats.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 786322.htm
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Melbourne not safe for students, India warns

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:42 pm

revhappy wrote:Now Australia will be out of the radar for Indian Expats.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 786322.htm
May be for students revhappy..None of my friends who work there have had a problem till date..be it melbourne/sydney..
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

cutio1979

Post by cutio1979 » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:59 pm

I just relocated from Melbourne. I never saw one bit of trouble in all the time I was there. I thought it was a lovely place!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:32 pm

UK is much worse, I wouldn't worry so much about it, it can happen to anyone whites, blacks, Asians it's all about being in the wrong place at the right time. Drunken racist yobs looking for trouble you can find in most Cities of many nationalities, if you visit the higher risk areas.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:40 pm

heard about the attack in the news while i was in sydney; they say it's not racially motivated and I believe them. don't worry; those thugs are likely to harass other races as much as the others. they're equal-opportunity thugs. and come on, indians are one of the most resilient races around. i doubt something like this would stop indians, whatever their government says.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:50 pm

Australian police have said 1,447 people of Indian descent were victims of a crime in Victoria in the 12 months to July 2008
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:56 pm

revhappy wrote:
Australian police have said 1,447 people of Indian descent were victims of a crime in Victoria in the 12 months to July 2008
Yeah, but what were the numbers for all of the other races?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 2:02 pm

SMS wrote
Irrelevant, SMS, as Indians are more important and the sole recipients of violence . . . plus they are just different enough to call the racist card.

In this latest case a young guy, could be any guy, walks through a downtrodden park in a downtrodden area of the city . . . a park with no lighting to speak of and is known to be a night-time haunt for druggies and their ilk.

No shit, Sherlock. Something happened. A crack-addict sees this unfortunate man walking alone through his 'turf', possibly listening to his i-pod or the like, and sees money for his drug habit.

Why does the Indian community think it is so important that they are singled out by criminals based on their ethnicity?

I'd suggest moving to a better neighbourhood to cut down on the likelihood of being attacked, like other people do it.

India - 100 murders a day . . . every day of the year.

Sure, the chances are slimmer to be murdered in India based on percentages, but I know where I'd rather be living.

Well, not Melbourne because it is shite . . .

'nuff said Image

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 2:10 pm

Probably more. I am not saying that these are racist attacks. What I am saying is Australia is dangerous to live.

In India, there may be 100 murders a day but there the motive is money but to expect that in a developed country where the general standard of people is quite high and a country which has excellent facilities to track down and control such crime is baffling.
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 2:27 pm

revhappy wrote:
Probably more. I am not saying that these are racist attacks. What I am saying is Australia is dangerous to live.

In India, there may be 100 murders a day but there the motive is money but to expect that in a developed country where the general standard of people is quite high and a country which has excellent facilities to track down and control such crime is baffling.
Name me one country aside from Singapore, where crime is controlled, as you say. And just because the 'general standard of living' is high doesn't mean there are no criminals or that everyone enjoys this high standard of living.
So, you excuse 100 murders a day in India due to the motive being money . . . I guess anyone can try to excuse the inexcusable

What utter rubbish . . . Australia a dangerous place to live? :lol: Again, read my post regarding where this murder happened.

I've never had a crime committed against my person or my property in Australia . . . must be because I'm Caucasian . . . right?

'nuff said Image

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 3:06 pm

Dangerous?

I dont think so...
I dont think its as safe as Singapore..but to call it dangerous..just be cautious and stay away from dark area in the middle of the night or places that you know is well known to be unsafe..

None of the people I know who have lived there..or is living there call Australia as a dangerous place to live..

A friend who was living in Coogee got robbed..she and housemates loose 7 laptops altogether..and they are white..
I lived in Kingsford and never got robbed..obviously the fact that i didnt have laptop may not appeal to the robber...

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 3:43 pm

These are oppurtunistic crimes which turned violent and excessively blown up by media. It cannot be compared to the racist apartheid in SA or UK where they had boards " No Indians & Dogs allowed"..
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 4:07 pm

revhappy wrote:@nakatago: The number of student applications to australia have dipped by 21% last year compared to 35% increase the previous year.
maybe so but what i'm saying is that the attack on nitin garg would hardly affect the indian diaspora.

and the dip of indian student applications from last year? it may be due to the racist attacks from some time ago or it maybe we due to something else. we don't know. causality can't really be established at this point.

and just to make it clear: i'm just saying that i believe the attack was not due to race and that i believe indians are not fazed easily.

peace.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 4:24 pm

revhappy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
revhappy wrote:

If you were not calling them racist attacks, then why did you ONLY bring up how many Indians were attacked? Instead of quoting the TOTAL number of attacks? It's what you didn't say, that made your statement a racist statement. Hell, I'll bet the numbers are higher in New York City or for that matter Mumbai. I think you might have been trying to stir the pot?

Oh, from what I read, India considers herself a developed country already don't they? Most crimes are either "of passion" or "for money". Only a few are due to psychos (but they like to take out a lot at one time - but again, maybe that's their passion!).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 7:16 pm

revhappy wrote:
@nakatago: The number of student applications to australia have dipped by 21% last year compared to 35% increase the previous year.

Safety is always of paramount importance. Money is only secondary.
Economic recession could also be one of the reason for dip in applications. :cry: