Singapore Expats

Fear of flying...please help

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tottiart

Post by tottiart » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 8:37 pm

Watching this video should allay your fears. Really, you only ever hear of negative plane events and forget the amount of planes that take-off and land safely every second of the day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFGD9cglb4

sweetie2980

Post by sweetie2980 » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:21 am

Thanks alot guys...im feeling much much better now..it doesnt bother me now compared when i first wrote this thread. Like most of you did mention here..i would just pop a pill and thats it..all my worries are gone.I most probably would be more excited on my arrival and new life ahead throughout the flight.

Im more worried and busy preparing for my interview than thinking bout plane crash, hijacks or stranded alone on a big ocean.

Im thinking of buying MAS now since its cheaper than SIA...oh yeah that youtube video was really neat.

Cheers everyone... :D
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 2:36 am

Another happy customer....

Hey Sweetie, remember to post your adventures here in this forum...

sweetie2980

Post by sweetie2980 » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 8:29 pm

Sure i will EV-Disinfection :D
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

kiwi73

Post by kiwi73 » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 4:02 pm

If you are not a frequent flyer (which sounds like the case) then chances are high that you will get the last choice seats as many of the frequent flyers with silver/gold/platinum status will get first choice. If you fly SIA or Cathay you can checkin online and select your seat in advance but not sure about Philippine Airlines. You may be at the mercy of the checkin crew at the airport counter and they rarely help out first time flyers with seat selection.

In saying all of this the seat selection depends on your personal requirements. Can you sleep anywhere? In which case take up the advice to have a few pills and take a long nap. If this is you then take a window seat so that you can have uninterrupted sleep. i.e. no one asking you to get up so they can get out to visit the toilet.

If you are like me and cannot sleep on planes then a long flight is a real killer. This is where you want an aisle seat in the middle row. This is because the middle row has two options for getting out (assuming it is a 777 with 3-3-3 configuration). This way you can get up anytime you want and not have to worry about asking your neighbour. I regularly have to stand up for up to 20 mins after every movie to keep the blood flowing through my legs and for stretching. When your finished you still don't have to bug your neighbour to get up again so you can sit down.

As to where in the plane you should sit, don't worry about this. Anywhere in the plane is fine so long as it meets your needs in terms of uninterruption (window) or easy access to stretch (aisle/middle row).

Good luck with your flight.

sweetie2980

Post by sweetie2980 » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 7:40 am

I dont know which seat would be best for me..either next to the window or near the aisle.I never fly before at least for more than 20 years and first time on a long haul flight. Im the type who couldnt stand the coldness.My feet will catch cold easily and i will end up having to go to the loo every 10mins..its terrible :(

Apart from that, i think i have no problem sleeping anywhere.I mean while travelling.I remember i used to travel on a bus alot while im still studying in KL and whenever i took a window seat my head will at least banged once at the window..end up with a swollen forehead for days ha ha... :( i thought i have gone stupid because of that :lol: maybe aisle seat is the best choice..depends on the mercy of the ticket officer.

Im going to purchase MAS ticket later today.Actually i wanted to be on SIA...but to be on such a flight it cost me more money than what im paying for MAS.Another thing is..i wanted to go through Changi..dont know why i somehow prefer Changi better than KLIA.Maybe because Changi hold so many memories to me.. :D Once i purchased MAS it means i have to fly through KLIA..anyway what the heck...as long as im safe..thats what matter the most.

Im sorry for all this lengthy explanation which some of you might think its unnecessary to write all these stuff.But im feeling overwhelmed with so many things that happening to me right now especially this month alone...im feeling restless.There is no one for me to pour out all my stories..losing alot of friends :cry: Thank goodness my fiance has been so supportive all along.

Cheers everyone :D ...

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:33 am

Bring a good book. Or bring some stationery and paper to write to loved ones - the traditional letter writing way. You'd be amazed how much you can get done.

Don't worry.

MAS is great if you're willing to spend. Otherwise, Philippines Airlines will be just fine. Meet some new people - although not everyone likes to talk, so if that happens don't take it personally.

Enjoy your journey :)

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 1:00 pm

sweetie2980 wrote:
Im sorry for all this lengthy explanation which some of you might think its unnecessary to write all these stuff.But im feeling overwhelmed with so many things that happening to me right now especially this month alone...im feeling restless.There is no one for me to pour out all my stories..losing alot of friends :cry: Thank goodness my fiance has been so supportive all along.

Hey sweetie, I think that your lengthy explanations are very interesting, please if possible, post something every day, the longer your explanations the better...
Terence

sweetie2980

Post by sweetie2980 » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 1:46 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:
sweetie2980 wrote:

Hey sweetie, I think that your lengthy explanations are very interesting, please if possible, post something every day, the longer your explanations the better...
Terence
wow...seems i got one following here..thats interesting...i might end up writing my own blog just like singaporean famous blogger xiaxue.. :lol:

sure...if you interested i keep you updated..as of right now..my head is spinning at a top speed.My fiance wants to get things done everything in advance.Actually to tell the truth i rather prefer to purchase the ticket after i got my visa.Im paying the ticket out of my pocket money so i dont want to shoot myself on the foot if i screwed up my interview and let the ticket go wasted.

But my fiance seems too excited and call everyone..the clinic, MAS office, embassy etc and let me get the things done in a jiffy.

Oh well...again sorry for all these...i feel like crying..so stressed out :cry: tried to call my girlfriend but she's too busy..

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 8:07 pm

good advice from kiwi73 with regards to sleeping and being disturbed.

letter writing kits are available on board, as are game packets.

i'm sure MAS will have some games on their IFE system, but it IS gonna be a lengthy flight...

so good luck with sleeping for the entire duration! (a little unrealistic IMO)

also, if you buy a discounted ticket you may want to read the fine print with regards to date/name change.

i hope your interview goes well.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam