Singapore Expats

Any advice would be appreciated

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
relocaterelocate

Any advice would be appreciated

Post by relocaterelocate » Sat, 19 Dec 2009 7:14 am

Hi,

I'd like to apologise firstly if this has already been covered in some of the other threads - I have gone through a lot of posts but cant find someone who was in a similiar position as myself.

Long story short, my company (Headquarters in London but with offices all over the globe) is looking into starting an operation in Singapore. This would only be on a trial basis (6-9 months) and dependant on the success would look into opening an office.

I understand that the way forward is to apply for the Entrepass but is there a (legal) way around that?

E.G our company has quite a large office in HK. Would it be possible for me to be registered as on the books in HK but working in Singapore on a (lets say) 6 month project? Would the P Pass 1 Holders cover that? Or does that pass only cover people working for registered companies in Singapore?

The main reason why I am asking is because I am pretty sure my Co will not want to pay the 50,000SD for Entrepass.

Any advice would be helpful as I am tearing my hair out how much I want this to work!!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 20 Dec 2009 1:18 pm

Your company can start its own wholly owned subsidiary here. Depending on what you will be doing it can be a representatives office (basically no earned income in Singapore) or it can be a wholly owned private limited.

Based on your limited information, if your company is "substantial" no Entrepass is required. Google 'ACRA' and read more about it.

PS: You don't 'pay' SGD 50,000. You invest it in the company you are starting. Could come right back out as a management fee if you wanted.

relocaterelocate

Post by relocaterelocate » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 8:24 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Your company can start its own wholly owned subsidiary here. Depending on what you will be doing it can be a representatives office (basically no earned income in Singapore) or it can be a wholly owned private limited.

Based on your limited information, if your company is "substantial" no Entrepass is required. Google 'ACRA' and read more about it.

PS: You don't 'pay' SGD 50,000. You invest it in the company you are starting. Could come right back out as a management fee if you wanted.
Apologies everyone, I realised this should of been posted this in "Relocating, Moving to Singapore" part of the forum.

Strong Eagle - PM and thanks for your reply!

relocaterelocate

Post by relocaterelocate » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 8:44 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Your company can start its own wholly owned subsidiary here. Depending on what you will be doing it can be a representatives office (basically no earned income in Singapore) or it can be a wholly owned private limited.

Just realised I cant PM until I have more posts!!! :o

Quite annoying after I spent 15 minutes responding to Strong Eagle!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 8:52 am

It's not near as annoying as being bombarded with unending amounts of spam in your PM facility. You need 5 posts before you PM send feature is activated. This generally prevents spammers from just joining to spam the regulars with garbage, the moderators generally catch the spammers before they get too far.......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers