Singapore Expats

Barking mad

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Barking mad

Post by ozchick » Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:42 pm

My condo has guidelines which clearly state that pet owners must not let pets disturb other people living here.
Well the guard came to my door just now, wanting to know if it was me who'd put the notice in the lift asking the owners of the dogs on the second floor to either control their noise or get rid of them. So I told him that yes it was.
He then said that the residents down there were humiliated and very hurt!
I could not get through to this guard that my action had intended to do exactly that, to humiliate them into considering others. Since I'd already spoken to them about it, as had the condo manager and the guards on numerous occasions since I moved here in July, I was left with no other course of action. It's just incredible that neither the dog-owner nor the guard seem to care that THEY are breaking the condos rules and yet THEY are humiliated. He said that the dog-owners wanted to chat to me. Sigh....can't you just hear it now..."oh they don't bark much....oh and nobody else has complained and ......have you tried shutting your doors and blah blah.....I told the guard that no words from them to me would stop the dogs barking or make me suddenly enjoy the noise!
I then told the guard that if the noise didn't stop, the next sign would be bigger and better ! He walked off shaking his head, clearly in sympathy with the rule-breakers...sigh.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 2:41 am

Here's some visitors, wanna talk to you...

If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 5:52 am

Yep, Ozchick, I'm afraid this attitude is typical. I would have probably done the same thing in your shoes. Incessant, mindless barking is inexcusable in my opinion, a sure sign the dogs are under duress. The owners should be embarrassed.

Nice picture Superglide, but really what does it have to do with this situation?

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 1:05 pm

Have you tried talking to your other neighbours to garner support? Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 2:10 pm

I agree with mmq. Posting that note in the lift is out of line.

I would not have done it myself but to keep pestering building management. That's what they are for. And if the dogs are still barking day and night, I will call SPCA to have a look at their living conditions and make sure they fine the b@stards!

Good luck!
Just me

DazzleBabe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 3:41 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote: Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.
Our dear Ozchick is the sensitive and caring kind . ..

'nuff said Image

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:35 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:Have you tried talking to your other neighbours to garner support? Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.
Yeah I've mentioned it to two neighbours who say yeah they hear it but they just close their doors and windows. I'm not happy to do that. How would it be if we ALL had barking dogs? And yeah I've pestered and pestered management. She says that the dogs have been there for a long time and there have been other complaints and that she has 'spoken' to the owners who say the dogs don't bark. Sigh...I can't keep begging for consideration. And guess what? Since I posted the 'sign' it's been amazingly quiet! Pity one has to embarrass one's neighbours in order to get consideration.
Last edited by ozchick on Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:36 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.
Why? Sh*theads with barking dogs are out of line... and in spite of the fact that they have been asked, don't do anything. They deserve everything they get.

My recommendation: Ring door bell at 5:30 AM in the morning... wake them up. Ask them to please control barking dogs. Do this every morning until dogs are under control. If they are going to make your life miserable, no reason you can't ring their door bell while they are asleep.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:44 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
mondaymorningquarterback wrote:Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.
Why? Sh*theads with barking dogs are out of line... and in spite of the fact that they have been asked, don't do anything. They deserve everything they get.

My recommendation: Ring door bell at 5:30 AM in the morning... wake them up. Ask them to please control barking dogs. Do this every morning until dogs are under control. If they are going to make your life miserable, no reason you can't ring their door bell while they are asleep.
Yeah that would have been the next step. People can be so unfair. And then to act all upset when you give them a tiny taste of 'unfairness'. It's difficult trying to work out how they think. It's just logical that if someone keeps giving grief, they must expect that it will come back at them eventually.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 8:48 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
mondaymorningquarterback wrote: Posting a humiliating message in a public area is out of line.
Our dear Ozchick is the sensitive and caring kind . ..
Ooh Vaucluse- " dear Ozchick..." I didn't know you cared!
And I care about you too sweet boy! That nose of yours must be very uncomfortable. Whatever you keep digging out of there just seems to keep coming back! :cool:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:15 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Completely agree.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:58 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Completely agree.
I would add: Your posts should not be anonymous... for several reasons... the largest being that if you call someone out... let them know who is calling them out... much more intimidating than an anonymous post.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: My recommendation: Ring door bell at 5:30 AM in the morning... wake them up. Ask them to please control barking dogs. Do this every morning until dogs are under control.
Much better.

'nuff said Image

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Tue, 15 Dec 2009 9:42 am

But something must be done to check on the dogs. There must be a reason why they are barking all the time. Cooped up, stressed and bored could be a reason and that is no way treat a pet.

I do hope they have not gone to serious measures (like hitting or muzzling) just to keep them quiet.
Just me

DazzleBabe

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Tue, 15 Dec 2009 9:59 am

Not necessary true. Dogs bark thats what they do, esp small ones. I have had problems with my neighbours before and everytime I speak with the security chief he says its out of his hands. I had a next door neighbour burning hell money at the lift lobby apparently for years before I moved in and nothing was done about that until I contacted the NEA and it stopped immediately. They took it quite seriously.
Maybe your condo's security are as lazy as mine you just have to motivate them.