Singapore Expats

Unlocking my iPhone from O2(UK)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:15 pm

So... I'll bet 50 bux that londontosingapore attempts to unlock his own phone before it is all said and done.

londontosingapore

Post by londontosingapore » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 9:39 pm

strongeagle - whoever you made the bet with...go collect :)

durain - thanks for the offer but i decided to take the risk and use a free uk proxy server found via google (always hesitant to use random proxy servers but needed to progress this)...the O2 approach was going to take too long...and more importantly, from what I gathered, you have to be on their network (ie in the UK) for the remote unlock to work...

so i went ahead and tried the unlock myself using strongeagle's tips...it was pretty straightforward. The web articles said there may be problems with push notifications once the phone is jailbroke...but i haven't come across any issues. most importantly i changed the root password on my iphone so hopefully that should protect it from the recent hack.

thanks again to everyone...and i hope this thread is of use to others.

m.

ps durain -- i'm now trying to sort out a uk proxy server as the wife is suffering from Eastenders withdrawal symptoms (and i do miss Top Gear) so am looking into that. I found a service that you pay £5 a month for but it doesn't seem too great...if i make progress on this will post on a new thread for anyone else that may find it useful.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 08 Dec 2009 9:50 pm

m

for the moment, you can use my proxy. only use the proxy for UK content (or iPlayer/C4/five.tv/itv) and not for general surfing.

p/s yeah, i know what you mean about eastender! missus cant get away from it too!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:19 pm

You'll like the extra apps you can have with a jailbroken phone. Several of the most useful

a) Backgrounder - allows apps to run in the background like native apps.
b) kirikae - Easy way to switch apps between foreground and background
c) My3G - Fakes apps into thinking they are on wifi when they are on 3G so that apps like Skype can do calls over 3G - werks gude, too.
d) File downloader for Safari - load files from a web page, not iTunes
e) iFile - Play/read all sorts of files

londontosingapore

Post by londontosingapore » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 9:33 pm

durain - thanks for the offer!

strongeagle - sweet...My3G could come very handy.

Cheers,

M.