Singapore Expats

National Service

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
aagun123

Post by aagun123 » Tue, 26 Feb 2008 7:52 am

primitivo wrote:If you have an exit permit, it should mean that the Singapore government wants to do national service. They will contact you when you're approaching 17.5 years of age.

Did you post a bond of max(75000, annual salary/2) to get the exit permit? How long did you hold Singapore passport?
I didn't volunteer for a exit permit. My family over in Singapore did it without my notice. I have already passed 17.5 and they haven't contact me yet. My singapore passport is expired in 2006 and from then it was expired

primitivo

Post by primitivo » Tue, 26 Feb 2008 9:20 am

I think you should contact Singapore for:

Appeal for you to be granted deferment from full-time
National Service (NS) till his age of 21 years pending renunciation of you
Singapore citizenship.

mayasg

Exit Permit Matters

Post by mayasg » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:07 pm

I have left Singapore for a couple of years recently i remembered that i have forgotten that i need to renew my exit permit thus i wrote to NS portal on my exit permit matters. They wrote back to warn me that i must go back to Singapore to resolve my outstanding matters and asked me to advise them on my flight so that there won't be any embarrassment at the custom. They mentioned that i have been without a permit since 2005 but it was not possible as then i did apply and a lady also wrote an email to notify me. Back then the email was miw.com.sg but now it is starnet.gov.sg thus i am very confused. They warn me the result will be jail term of not more than 3years and a fine not more than 10K. To be honest i have failed in my business while i was in Singapore and have no home and now barely surving on a mere income, where in the world will i have 10K to pay the fine and i guess if i don't then jail term will be waiting for me. What should i do? Please can anyone be kind enough to advise me on this matter.
Help Required~~~~

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 1:10 pm

The only advice I can give you is "you have listened to the music and now you must pay the piper" You may or may not be jailed but you will be fined without a doubt. The fact that you contacted them may work in your favour but there are no guarantee since the Piano Man case a couple of years ago. Forgetting your Exit Permit can not be an oversite. It's too important and ingrained in the Singaporean Male's mind from an early age that it would be probably be more accurate to say "out of site, out of mind". We cannot advise anything except return to Singapore and pay your dues. We do not advise doing anything illegal or the continuing to to something illegal.

In any case, If you business has failed and everything else looks bleak, a year with free room & board might tide you through the recession. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

igwt

Garden variey

Post by igwt » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:55 pm

the situation is uncalled for.
Last edited by igwt on Sat, 04 May 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:00 am

Based on the simple reading of your situation, it sounds like you have US Permanent Residence as opposed to Citizenship. (I know that you have to periodically be present in the US once a year (don't remember how long as I gave up my wife's green card 20 years ago when we decided to stay in Singapore till the kids were out of the nest and adults).

If that is the case and you have filed and received the proper exit permits, kept them up to date and Mindef informed. He should be able to travel as I seem to have read it is permissible. But for how long at a stretch I cannot say and I would advise you to contact the central manpower base for more details/clarifications.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

term417

Post by term417 » Sun, 07 Jun 2009 8:07 pm

I'm just curious but how old must you be if you want to renounce your Singapore Passport? Do you require your parents permission if you are not that age?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Jun 2009 8:59 pm

21 years old. Can not renounce before the age of 21. Also, if male, cannot renounce until finished NS. No, you do not need your parents consent but you should not renounce until you have right of residence in some other country otherwise you could end up a stateless person. Dangerous position to be in.

googlegoogle

Post by googlegoogle » Tue, 09 Jun 2009 3:51 am

this is really an interesting thread.... ;)
I need a little help for my son concerning his renunciation of singapore citizenship.
Does he have to go back to singapore in person in order to denounce the citizenship? we are not sure what to do and therefore hope that we could be provided with a little help to facilitate the situation.

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 8:27 am

Can't renounce until he is over 21 years old.

Need not go back to renounce. And of course, do not ran foul of the law.
I work to live and not live to work.

term417

Post by term417 » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:03 pm

What if you have a flat foot, or you are missing a foot? Will you be excused from National Service?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:10 pm

Which is it? You don't know if you foot is missing or you don't know if your foot is flat. Or are you just flat missing your foot?

Why ask silly questions. Of course you will still have to do NS. You didn't say you were missing any fingers did you? that means you can still man a computer. You can works as a clerk in a supply depot or a company admin personnel. They need every male, even if they like other males. Makes no difference to them.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 5:46 pm

term417 wrote:What if you have a flat foot, or you are missing a foot? Will you be excused from National Service?
i'm trying to keep a straight face here...

whether you have a flat foot or a flat nose, a missing foot or a missing hand, you'll still have to report to the military manpower base for a fitness assessment/inspection/check-up.

the doctors there will decide whether or not you have to serve national service. if so, the manpower staff/computers will decide where you'd be doing it.

regardless of your (dis)abilities, you'll have to show up for that fitness inspection by law.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

National Service

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 09 Dec 2009 6:25 am

HI SMS

I read your post laugh until my teeth drops. My jaw is sore that I have trouble closing my mouth. That's funny man !!!!

OK, to answer 417 question. ; you can only be discharge from NS call up after the first medical reporting which is about 16 and a half or before you are about to report for NS.
Then you will be under category PES E no NS for the rest of your life. From Pes A to Pes D you still have to serve the NS . The only question is where will you be posted after the BMT training. Usually those who are from Pes C to Pes D whom have physically disabilities and can never be upgraded to Pes B or A will be assign to clerical or administrative jobs.
There is no shortcut to this NS thing. The Garmen already cover all lobang with a 10 year series test paper !!