Singapore Expats

Unlocking my iPhone from O2(UK)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
londontosingapore

Unlocking my iPhone from O2(UK)

Post by londontosingapore » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 3:30 pm

Hello all,

We just landed in Singapore from London and have our UK iPhones with us...which unfortunately don't work here as they are locked by O2.

Does anyone have any experience or knows where I can get the phones unlocked...so I can use them in Singapore?

Many thanks,

M.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 3:51 pm

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 5:46 pm

no need to start anywhere. all you need is http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 7:50 pm

durain wrote:no need to start anywhere. all you need is http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html
Which can't be accessed from Singapore :?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:54 pm

anonymous proxy server with UK address?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:38 pm

The unlock should be painless. And, need your type of iPhone, date of purchase (if 3GS).

Jailbreak is very easy. Once you jailbreak, you use blacksn0w... most of the time to unlock.

More info on phone model and age... can proceed.

londontosingapore

Post by londontosingapore » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 8:01 am

Hi Strong Eagle - isn't jailbreak the software that "created" a vulnerability of the iphone to hackers? I just remember reading something recently about the first worm attack on an iphone...which was restricited to phones running a particular software?

Sundaymorningstaple - a UK proxy address would be good! Know any? I've come across HotspotShield...but that's US based....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 8:44 am

I personally don't, but 'durain' may be able to help you there. He and 'sillingw' I believe use or know how to use them and are from the UK? (might be wrong there about sillingw though).

Anyway, I'm sure one of them will see this. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 8:50 am

I think that vulnerability was because people didn't change the default password. Your mileage may vary.
londontosingapore wrote:Hi Strong Eagle - isn't jailbreak the software that "created" a vulnerability of the iphone to hackers? I just remember reading something recently about the first worm attack on an iphone...which was restricited to phones running a particular software?

Sundaymorningstaple - a UK proxy address would be good! Know any? I've come across HotspotShield...but that's US based....
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 10:05 am

londontosingapore wrote:Hi Strong Eagle - isn't jailbreak the software that "created" a vulnerability of the iphone to hackers? I just remember reading something recently about the first worm attack on an iphone...which was restricited to phones running a particular software?

A resounding yes and no. To jailbreak is to permit the iPhone to communicate with app stores other than Apple, Cydia and Rock being the two main ones. Lots of different apps there.

One of the apps is secure shell access (yes, iPhone is mostly Mac OS). When you install shell access, the default password is 'alpine', and if you don't change it, then others can have access to your iPhone.

There are two solutions, both simple: a) Change the password - in fact, the Rock store now autochecks for this and lets you know if you have a vulnerability. And second, turn off SSH when you are not using it.

May I add that you MUST jailbreak an iPhone in order to unlock it. It is the only way to get unlock software onto the phone.

You will also find complete sources for the .ipsw file (the iPhone OS) already broke and unlocked) available at bit torrent, etc but be sure you have a reliable source.

I would not pay anyone to do it... read articles on the web and do it yourself.

No downsides to jailbreak that I can see.

londontosingapore

Post by londontosingapore » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 6:26 pm

Well the idea of unlocking it myself is appealing as at least I know what software has been loaded (and can re-set the passwords)...but still not sure how to do it.

I've done a bit of research on the web and come across a few options below...wondering if anyone has any recommendations /experiences / thoughts on these tools:

* iphone unlocking ltd tool: http://iphone.unlock.no/3G_iPhone_Unlock.php
This tool costs US$25 and seems to be a "one-software-package" solution that allows you to re-lock the iphone too

* unlock iphone solutions tool: http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/?se=unlocking iphone jailbreak This tools costs US$30 and offer a refund if the software doesn't work. It's also a "one-software-package" that apparently is bundled so any non-techie can use it...too good to be true?

Anyone who have used these tools or others please let me know.

Thanks,

M.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 06 Dec 2009 9:03 pm

londontosingapore wrote:Well the idea of unlocking it myself is appealing as at least I know what software has been loaded (and can re-set the passwords)...but still not sure how to do it.

I've done a bit of research on the web and come across a few options below...wondering if anyone has any recommendations /experiences / thoughts on these tools:

* iphone unlocking ltd tool: http://iphone.unlock.no/3G_iPhone_Unlock.php
This tool costs US$25 and seems to be a "one-software-package" solution that allows you to re-lock the iphone too

* unlock iphone solutions tool: http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/?se=unlocking iphone jailbreak This tools costs US$30 and offer a refund if the software doesn't work. It's also a "one-software-package" that apparently is bundled so any non-techie can use it...too good to be true?

Anyone who have used these tools or others please let me know.

Thanks,

M.
I would not pay money to anyone for a 'product'. They have merely downloaded the already free software and are reselling it.

An outfit called DevTeam is, AFAIK, the only ones to identify the exploits and write the code.

The process is really simple, and there is one caveat - if your iPhone is purchased later than October 2009, then there will be a wrinkle.

a) To to Apple website and get latest version of iTunes and make sure your phone is upgraded to 3.1.2 OS.

b) Go to http://www.blackra1n.com and download the software. This will be RC3.

c) Connect your iPhone (shut down iTunes) execute the program and when the button shows up, press, 'Make It Ra1n'.

d) Once your phone reboots, you will have 'blackra1n' installed and your phone is jailbroke.

e) Run black rain and install Cydia and Rock to have access to the app stores.

f) Run blacksn0w to unlock the phone. The unlock is the more complicated part but is still pretty easy thanks to dedicated hackers.

I refer you to various websites. To jailbreak:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iph ... 3-9140079/

To unlock:

http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-iphone ... w-9140082/

There are also people who have done the break and unlock and then made the files available in bit torrent or other file downloaders. They are about 300 megs and you have to buy a subscription to get them.

But, I wouldn't go this route now that blackra1n has handled the break and unlock for 3.1.2 and the updated modem software (the place where the unlock takes place).

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 1:51 am

yes, i am indeed using a proxy located in the UK, hence i am getting a UK IP. this is for getting UK content, namely BBC iPlayer ;).

as for unlocking iPhone, o2 will do it for free for o2 customer. you need to fill in an online form including some security info, so maybe you can get someone in the UK to fill it in for you.

>> here's the info on the website...

Unlocking your iPhone

From 10 November, the iPhone can be unlocked for O2 customers in the UK.

Pay Monthly customers
Your iPhone can be unlocked at anytime free of charge. If you unlock your handset and place a non-O2 sim into it, you will still have to honour the remainder of the minimum term on your contract.

iPhone Pay & Go customers
For iPhone on Pay & Go, unlocking can take place 12 months after you've bought your iPhone for a one-off £14.69 fee which will be deducted from your airtime balance.

What do I need to do?
Firstly, complete the unlocking form - it will take up to 14 days for the iPhone to be unlocked and we'll text you to confirm the unlock request. Then place a non-O2 sim into the iPhone and connect to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will confirm that the iPhone has been successfully unlocked.

Having trouble unlocking your iPhone? Visit our FAQs section.

>> here's the FAQ...

Why can't I 'unlock' my iPhone?

We may not be able to unlock your iPhone for a variety of reasons. Here's a few common ones:

You may have not typed in the correct IMEI number (found by keying *#06# on your iPhone) and the correct mobile phone number. If these don't match the numbers we have on our system, then the iPhone can't be unlocked.

Your iPhone must have been purchased from an O2, Carphone Warehouse or Apple UK store for it to be unlocked. If this isn't the case, then you need to go back to the place you purchased your iPhone from to get it unlocked.

Your mobile number may have been barred on all networks if you've reported it lost or stolen. If your iPhone is no longer lost, please contact our customer service team.

We can't locate your iPhone on the O2 network. This may happen if you haven't 'synced' your iPhone with iTunes.

If you're a Pay & Go customer, the iPhone must have been active on our network for a minimum of 12 months.

If you're a Pay & Go customer, you may not have had enough airtime credit on your account to pay the £14.69 fee required to have your iPhone unlocked.

Note: if we're not able to unlock your iPhone, then the £14.69 fee will be automatically refunded for our Pay & Go customers.

londontosingapore

Post by londontosingapore » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:00 pm

durain - thanks for the info from O2(UK) website...I contacted O2 before I left and they told me they would not do it! Maybe the operator I spoke to wasn't familiar with their new policy. Is the UK proxy server you use publicly available or available on a subscription? I could use that to complete the O2 unlock request form.

strong eagle - thanks for explaining the jailbreak unlock process...if i can't get the unlock down via O2 then it will come very handy!

Cheers,
M.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:47 pm

M

re: iPhone unlocking from o2 : o2 only started the "free" iPhone unlocking on 10 november 2009. i guessed the best way is to unlock it via the online form on their website. free unlocking is not widely advertised, hence CS or sales dont even know about it!

re: UK proxy : i am using my own private proxy. actually i got 2, one primary and one secondary. to help you out to fill in the o2 online form, i will PM you the info you need to connect to my UK proxy.....