Singapore Expats

Basal racism in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2009 9:10 pm

Apparently your dong doesn't mind laying on dirty sidewalks though...... :wink:

Course then again, I've seen more'n few youths doing the same outside of Zouk in the wee hours of the morn as well, some more, lying in their own excrement from multiple orfices....... :o :lol:

Worse still these are the girls mind you! :shock:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 5:07 am

My dong???? :shock:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 6:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Course then again, I've seen more'n few youths doing the same outside of Zouk in the wee hours of the morn as well, some more, lying in their own excrement from multiple orfices....... :o :lol:

Perhaps they should be better acquainted with the penal codes...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 7:05 am

:o Nice word play there! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 7:37 am

road.not.taken wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Apparently your dong doesn't mind laying on dirty sidewalks though...... Wink

Course then again, I've seen more'n few youths doing the same outside of Zouk in the wee hours of the morn as well, some more, lying in their own excrement from multiple orfices....... :o :lol:

Perhaps they should be better acquainted with the penal codes...
Maybe they weren't laying on the sidewalks but on the dykes.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 6:34 pm

On a second note, the sidewalk shown doesn't look that dirty, does it?

It is in Tuscany, Italy, btw, where my dong spent his summer holidays this year. Wouldn't wanna categorize Tuscany as dirty, quite the opposite.

These spaghetti eaters are quite hygienic, to be honest. (omg, am I being racist here?).
Pablo Picasso

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:28 pm

Superglide wrote:On a second note, the sidewalk shown doesn't look that dirty, does it?

It is in Tuscany, Italy, btw, where my dong spent his summer holidays this year. Wouldn't wanna categorize Tuscany as dirty, quite the opposite.

These spaghetti eaters are quite hygienic, to be honest. (omg, am I being racist here?).
Show off :cool:

The food Monster must have been in heaven!

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:58 pm

Show off???

Not really, no money for long haul trip lah! have to travel by car in Europe these days... :wink:

But indeed, the food monster quite enjoyed the Tuscan kitchen and wines... :D
Pablo Picasso

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Re: Basal racism in Singapore

Post by phil30k » Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:48 am

SunWuKong wrote:An hour ago I was walking through the Sengkang MRT at Compass Point, when a middle aged Singaporean of Chinese descent ran past my wife and myself and spat at my feet. I was not struck, but the movement and intent were obvious.

A moment or two passed as I tried to rationalize what had just occurred.

I handed my two year old son to my wife and gave chase. I didn't have far to go as he had run into a nearby toilet. I bowled into the swinging door full pelt and almost lost my footing due to the fact that I am so Singaporean-ized that I now wear sandals everywhere. Rounding a corner I found him hastily zipping himself up, catharsis interruptus.

I asked him with polite words, but very grim tone, if he had just spat at my feet. His replied semi-apologetically, whilst inching toward the door, that he was very angry with Americans.

I am not American; I am Australian, and not a particularly patriotic one at that. I let him know this.

By the end of my response he had exited the restroom, where my wife and a small group of bystanders stood by. He may have thought that he was much safer now, but in truth he was never in danger. Not because I wouldn't have beaten some sense into him without a second thought, but because I have a very strong habit of counting security cameras everywhere I go.

He began to elaborate on the alleged crimes of Americans and the complicity of Lee Hsien Loong in some SIA concern, but my wife had stood by long enough and began abusing him in such a way that reasonable discourse quickly ended. He wanted to go to the police station, evidently thinking that to feel so threatened must mean that some crime had been committed; when in fact no crime had yet been perpetrated against him.

I agreed wholeheartedly and began to lead him in the right direction, but my wife intervened again and insisted that he wasn't worth it. As a Singaporean Malay she believes that bringing governmental authority into any situation is deleterious. I tended to disagree, but hit upon a compromise and asked the unthinking abuser for his IC. Of course I had no right to ask anyone for their identification, but he was so full of his own self righteousness that he pulled it out readily. However he wasn't completely without wit and covered his name and left the number exposed only long enough to see, not memorize.

We left the scene then, with my wife hurling damning and unsubstantiatable abuse at him. Meanwhile he launched his own tirade, not at us, but to the crowd in damnation of Lee Hsien Loong.

I would have liked to have heard his story, and discussed the issue with him, but warmer heads than mine ended the opportunity. I would have been especially gratified to learn how, from the mere sight of me, he knew my politics in even the simplest regard. :wink:
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. He was a lunatic. He's one of the people who fits in sufficiently so as not to require institution but not one that should be taken to represent the majority of the community.

All communities have characters like that running around.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 2:52 am

Being local, i must apologies on behalf of all Singaporeans...
you just met one of the "Paraih" (Lunitic mixed breed spray dogs) people, just stamp your feet and shout "Hey" and "it" will run away...

Or give me a call next time, and if i am near by, would confront "It" for you,
cause it will more hassle for an expat to hurt "It" and get involve with the law here.

For us, no problem...
Peace

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 7:49 pm

Now that's a service I would pay for!

Reminds me of something I thought I'd never see in Singapore, while making a rare weekend appearance on Orchard a few weeks back:

two young ladies dressed as what appeared to be traffic cops, with "Fashion Police" on their backs.

They were stopping some people as they walked by but I couldn't hear the conversations.

I commended them on their work, bid them good luck, and advised that they were going to need a few hundred more people, but that their hearts were in the right place.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

blued3838

Post by blued3838 » Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:22 am

SunWuKong wrote:An hour ago I was walking through the Sengkang MRT at Compass Point, when a middle aged Singaporean of Chinese descent ran past my wife and myself and spat at my feet. I was not struck, but the movement and intent were obvious.

A moment or two passed as I tried to rationalize what had just occurred.

I handed my two year old son to my wife and gave chase. I didn't have far to go as he had run into a nearby toilet. I bowled into the swinging door full pelt and almost lost my footing due to the fact that I am so Singaporean-ized that I now wear sandals everywhere. Rounding a corner I found him hastily zipping himself up, catharsis interruptus.

I asked him with polite words, but very grim tone, if he had just spat at my feet. His replied semi-apologetically, whilst inching toward the door, that he was very angry with Americans.

I am not American; I am Australian, and not a particularly patriotic one at that. I let him know this.

By the end of my response he had exited the restroom, where my wife and a small group of bystanders stood by. He may have thought that he was much safer now, but in truth he was never in danger. Not because I wouldn't have beaten some sense into him without a second thought, but because I have a very strong habit of counting security cameras everywhere I go.

He began to elaborate on the alleged crimes of Americans and the complicity of Lee Hsien Loong in some SIA concern, but my wife had stood by long enough and began abusing him in such a way that reasonable discourse quickly ended. He wanted to go to the police station, evidently thinking that to feel so threatened must mean that some crime had been committed; when in fact no crime had yet been perpetrated against him.

I agreed wholeheartedly and began to lead him in the right direction, but my wife intervened again and insisted that he wasn't worth it. As a Singaporean Malay she believes that bringing governmental authority into any situation is deleterious. I tended to disagree, but hit upon a compromise and asked the unthinking abuser for his IC. Of course I had no right to ask anyone for their identification, but he was so full of his own self righteousness that he pulled it out readily. However he wasn't completely without wit and covered his name and left the number exposed only long enough to see, not memorize.

We left the scene then, with my wife hurling damning and unsubstantiatable abuse at him. Meanwhile he launched his own tirade, not at us, but to the crowd in damnation of Lee Hsien Loong.

I would have liked to have heard his story, and discussed the issue with him, but warmer heads than mine ended the opportunity. I would have been especially gratified to learn how, from the mere sight of me, he knew my politics in even the simplest regard. :wink:
I am a local and what happened to you and your family is absolutely unacceptable. I personally like Australians, having lived there for several years, Aussies are one of the friendliest people on earth.
Last edited by blued3838 on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Mothballs

Post by Vincent Mothballs » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:50 pm

blued3838 wrote:I know some Singaporeans in Australia who commented that some Aussies are racist, but they fail to note that it is the general Asian insensitivity that cause some Aussies to be nasty towards them. Example, most Asians dont really bother about strangers at the malls or train stations, most Asians usually dont hold the door for others, dash into trains like there arent anyone else around, rush for seats at food courts etc. These behavious irritate me alot after I had lived in Australia and learned to be sensitive towards others in public. So obviously, if an Asian behaves like that in Australia, there are bound to be people who would tell him/her off directly!
Hey there blued, I think that you need to seek some spiritual and psychological counsel immediately, otherwise it will F*** Up your life completely. I believe that you are suffering from RCIC (Racial & Cultural Inferiority Complex). There is a fair amount of the another similar form of this condition - RCSC (Racial & Cultural Superiority Complex) - but yours is definitely RCIC. It is a sad condition in which sufferers only attach any sense of self-esteem to the identity with and acceptance by persons of which they themselves identify as different to themselves - (that sentence does make grammatical sense if you read it carefully).

If you really think about this, you will realise that I am right - well, of course I am right! I have lived in the "West" longer. I am more Westernised than you are! In other words... I am "righter" than you.

So, for all the years that you lived in Asia, prior to living in Aus, you consider that you was:-
(1) "insensitive to others in public"
(2) deserving of any and all admonishment pertaining to your cultural behaviour
(3) *by implication of your post" - deserving of any Racial Abuse by any non-Singaporeans, whether they feel agitated by your "rudeness" or not

utopia
Regular
Regular

Post by utopia » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 8:06 am

How did the person know the OP policitics? He looked an an 'ang moh' of some description, made an assumption, and decided to act on it. Pretty simple, and a fact of daily life.

I'll have to agree with Vincent Mothballs, blued3838 post clearly rang of 'ang-kart-ism' . Additionally, I can't condone of ev-disinfection's post implying 'hurt' either. And skipped the other 3 pages of apologies.

Firstly, it's clear that that person was a lunatic. He was probably a racist as well. But clearly, he was a lunatic, just like every country, you get some. Cue news articles of Australians spitting into cars driven by Asians, asking them to 'go back home', and many, many more.

Secondly, spitting IS an offense in SG, and if the OP did get the police involved, you can rest assured in SG, it would dealt with. One wonders how the exact same scenario would be played out in AU.

Thirdly, imo, any 'basal' racism you happen to find in SG is about no more then what you would get in AU as a 'non-'local'-looking individual.

Lastly, and off the track, what are the chances that the OP , being an 'ang moh' looking of some description, probably had some/many 'positive' racism in SG from the locals (possibly with what Vincent Mothballs has termed RCIC ). I doubt if we'll see a rant about those experiences.

blued3838

Post by blued3838 » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:13 am

Vincent Mothballs wrote:
blued3838 wrote:I know some Singaporeans in Australia who commented that some Aussies are racist, but they fail to note that it is the general Asian insensitivity that cause some Aussies to be nasty towards them. Example, most Asians dont really bother about strangers at the malls or train stations, most Asians usually dont hold the door for others, dash into trains like there arent anyone else around, rush for seats at food courts etc. These behavious irritate me alot after I had lived in Australia and learned to be sensitive towards others in public. So obviously, if an Asian behaves like that in Australia, there are bound to be people who would tell him/her off directly!
Hey there blued, I think that you need to seek some spiritual and psychological counsel immediately, otherwise it will F*** Up your life completely. I believe that you are suffering from RCIC (Racial & Cultural Inferiority Complex). There is a fair amount of the another similar form of this condition - RCSC (Racial & Cultural Superiority Complex) - but yours is definitely RCIC. It is a sad condition in which sufferers only attach any sense of self-esteem to the identity with and acceptance by persons of which they themselves identify as different to themselves - (that sentence does make grammatical sense if you read it carefully).

If you really think about this, you will realise that I am right - well, of course I am right! I have lived in the "West" longer. I am more Westernised than you are! In other words... I am "righter" than you.

So, for all the years that you lived in Asia, prior to living in Aus, you consider that you was:-
(1) "insensitive to others in public"
(2) deserving of any and all admonishment pertaining to your cultural behaviour
(3) *by implication of your post" - deserving of any Racial Abuse by any non-Singaporeans, whether they feel agitated by your "rudeness" or not
Vincent Mothballs,

Since you started this, let me reply.

FYI. I am just posting a general sentiment, dont need to go into such analysis right? You feel you are right, then go ahead! Anyway, it is your own piece of analysis, so it doesnt mean it's right!

I love my Singaporeans very much, I am just pointing out some of the bad points (which everyone of us has, you dare to say that you are good all the time and only good? You mean you do not have any bad points? Then you wouldn't even have posted an ugly post with the F word, why you not happy is it?).

Asians are insensitive in general especially in public, it is a fact. However, there are some good points about being Asian and that we value our family and close ones more. Asians tend to hold onto ''guan xi'' more.

Let me tell you this, I am proud of being Chinese! So dont tell me otherwise! What RCIC? RCSC? Dont even start with me.