Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
MirageBomb

Post by MirageBomb » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:02 am

Well said, M. :-)
harajukugirl wrote:just wondering if SQ cabin crew are allowed to wear falsies during work? how abt big-eye effect/colored contact lenses? (those that look more natural not scary neon colors)
false eyelashes - have to be approved by grooming instructor these days

big-eye contacts - grey area, but if someone wants to make life hard for u they can get u in trouble for it; I got dubbed in by a nasty, jealous crew once during probation for wearing big-eye contacts in black (black ring, clear centre).. after bouncing emails back and forth, management finally decided not to let me wear them.. pissed off, I switched to the same design in dark brown, and have not had any trouble since. :lol:
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Einstein

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:15 am

simply23 wrote:ya..!! now i dunno wad to write on the walkin appln form. coz they ask for height and weight. shd i juz put 158 as height? or shd i b truthful? but i scared if i put anything less they'll ask me to go home! haha! any advice??
158 should be fine. +-1 wouldnt hurt your chance unless they are really determined to eliminate those below 158 badly. be positive and know that there are fss below 158 in the airline. :cool:

i think my current set of crews has one. keke. :lol:

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:21 am

MirageBomb wrote:big-eye contacts - grey area, but if someone wants to make life hard for u they can get u in trouble for it; I got dubbed in by a nasty, jealous crew once during probation for wearing big-eye contacts in black (black ring, clear centre).. after bouncing emails back and forth, management finally decided not to let me wear them.. pissed off, I switched to the same design in dark brown, and have not had any trouble since. :lol:
girls usually get the unwanted attention especially when you have that big P beside your name. :mrgreen:

for guys, i think life can be easier but physically tougher. :-({|=

simply23

Post by simply23 » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:21 am

M wrote:
simply23 wrote:ya..!! now i dunno wad to write on the walkin appln form. coz they ask for height and weight. shd i juz put 158 as height? or shd i b truthful? but i scared if i put anything less they'll ask me to go home! haha! any advice??
158 should be fine. +-1 wouldnt hurt your chance unless they are really determined to eliminate those below 158 badly. be positive and know that there are fss below 158 in the airline. :cool:

i think my current set of crews has one. keke. :lol:
cool.. that's comforting to noe.. thanks alot!!! i hope they're desperate to hire this time ard.. =]

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:28 am

simply23 wrote:cool.. that's comforting to noe.. thanks alot!!! i hope they're desperate to hire this time ard.. =]
i think we are certainly short of crews. but being desperate or not, i would say we are still coping well with it unless standby numbers are low.

pregnancies, new career advancements, promotions and last but not least, dislike for the job have opened up openings. :cool:

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 5:43 am

MirageBomb wrote: false eyelashes - have to be approved by grooming instructor these days

big-eye contacts - grey area, but if someone wants to make life hard for u they can get u in trouble for it; I got dubbed in by a nasty, jealous crew once during probation for wearing big-eye contacts in black (black ring, clear centre).. after bouncing emails back and forth, management finally decided not to let me wear them.. pissed off, I switched to the same design in dark brown, and have not had any trouble since. :lol:
Big eye contacts are not allowed, no matter what is the colour. Nothing will happen if no one notices it but if found out then you are in mercy of that person either a word with you or a coffee in the office :P

el-chan

Re: i'm new here!!

Post by el-chan » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 6:35 am

[quote="multitasker"]did send my application but was on the 9th nov,11.40pm. But i guess i was too late.cos it stated closing date 12th, but they ended up closed early... Furthermore, i'm grad in dec... so... gonna wait for another interview. U guys seems so helpful here in this forum... ^^ so we shall all encourage each another and get our dream come true as a cabin crew... gd luck to those who r goin for the interview on e coming 24 & 25!!!!

btw, anyone did actually send in as late as i was and still been informed for interview?[/quote]

If not mistaken, there is someone here in the forum who got the interview although he/she applied on the 9th. But just like you, I'm graduating in December so I believe that is the reason why we did not get an interview slot. You might want to try the walk-in in December. Unfortunately for me, I will still be in Melbourne on that day... :(

Being unable to go for the interview disappoints me since I have been waiting to apply with SIA for years. And now that I am finally eligible to apply, I did not get the interview slot.

SO.... To those of you who feel like giving up even before the interview starts, DON'T!! Please don't waste the fact that you got the interview slot when others did not get it. Please appreciate the chance you got there. Take it as though it is an experience. You wouldn't know if you haven't try. If you fail, remember that failure is the mother of success!!!

Keep the forum updated with all the experiences yar!! :D I will need to keep watching out for more job openings too...

GOOD LUCK for the interview participants!!!
Cheers!!

MirageBomb

Post by MirageBomb » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 8:19 am

Abercrombie wrote:
MirageBomb wrote: false eyelashes - have to be approved by grooming instructor these days

Big eye contacts are not allowed, no matter what is the colour. Nothing will happen if no one notices it but if found out then you are in mercy of that person either a word with you or a coffee in the office :P
Defo at the mercy of the complainant, even if u are in the right. A lot of petty bullies abound. :roll:

You say that they're disallowed - I was pretty sure my contacts could pass muster, though, and interestingly enough, both my mega ward leader and the girl who compiles the grooming guide (can't give names here, lol) were of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with those contacts when I brought them down for inspection. ("But they look like clear contacts, what.")

I was even gonna get a letter saying that I could wear that particular brand of contacts, but decided that instead of having to deal with the unpleasantness of flashing that letter whenever some disturbed cow felt like playing the bully, I'd switch to the ones with brown rings like the ones Japanese stewardesses use.. and, voila!
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Einstein

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by salvana » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:08 am

ehm... hello everyone...
it's been so long since my last visit to this forum... 8-)

Btw..... izzit juz me or wat,eh??

seems like nowadays... the CC wannabes from this forum aren't as agressive as "the last time" one, eh?

Geez.... no matter what flaws u guys have... if u really want the job so badly... FIGHT FOR IT then !!! well... b reasonable lah... dun tell me ur height is 150CM and u'll fight for it... :?
Dreams Do Come True

dreamie10

Post by dreamie10 » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:11 am

salvana wrote:ehm... hello everyone...

seems like nowadays... the CC wannabes from this forum aren't as agressive as "the last time" one, eh?

Geez.... no matter what flaws u guys have... if u really want the job so badly... FIGHT FOR IT then !!! well... b reasonable lah... dun tell me ur height is 150CM and u'll fight for it... :?
worried about skin. but am as you said FIGHTING for myself. bought the strongest concealer ever....and drinking shit loads of water and sleeping early.

Greenapple123

Post by Greenapple123 » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:21 am

dreamie10 wrote:
salvana wrote:ehm... hello everyone...

worried about skin. but am as you said FIGHTING for myself. bought the strongest concealer ever....and drinking shit loads of water and sleeping early.
Hi all, would like to know if SIA accepts candidates who have SPM slip instead of SPM certs during interview? I am so worried as I only have my SPM slip with me but not my SPM certs, pls help!! :shock: :???:

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:28 pm

dreamie10 wrote:worried about skin. but am as you said FIGHTING for myself. bought the strongest concealer ever....and drinking shit loads of water and sleeping early.
haha! =D> =D>

tangeve
Regular
Regular

Post by tangeve » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:07 pm

M wrote:
MirageBomb wrote:big-eye contacts - grey area, but if someone wants to make life hard for u they can get u in trouble for it; I got dubbed in by a nasty, jealous crew once during probation for wearing big-eye contacts in black (black ring, clear centre).. after bouncing emails back and forth, management finally decided not to let me wear them.. pissed off, I switched to the same design in dark brown, and have not had any trouble since. :lol:
girls usually get the unwanted attention especially when you have that big P beside your name. :mrgreen:

for guys, i think life can be easier but physically tougher. :-({|=
M, Whats P?

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 1:27 pm

tangeve wrote:M, Whats P?
P = Probation.

You will have the P beside your name during your first 6 months. :P

vintagecrush

Post by vintagecrush » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 3:20 pm

:D first time here...mine is at 140pm, 25th...anyone same timing?