Singapore Expats

Where should we stay in Singapore and which area?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
rexwrx

Where should we stay in Singapore and which area?

Post by rexwrx » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:07 am

hi all,

we may be relocating from Melbourne to Sing, and we are intending to rent an apartment (condo) and here are our things we look for in an apt:

1) close to MRT
2) close to NTUC, and other convenient stores
3) low-density condo / not high-rise
4) close to good local schools (primary) -
5) 2+1 or 3+1 depending on price
6) newish
7) tennis court

can anyone please recommend some apartments? i've been looking aroudn here under the apartment section, and there are quite few ones.

what do ppl think of Dover View?

Thank you all.

Search By

drakka

Post by drakka » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 9:33 pm

best place to stay is location that fits your lifestyle. depending on where your workplace is, look to stay there

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:15 pm

singapore is so tiny, you can just about stay anywhere with everything within reach.

rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Mon, 30 Nov 2009 9:17 am

ok thanks!

where are the majority of the expats living at the moment in Sg? which area?

east coast? or holland? other areas?

sydneytokyo

Post by sydneytokyo » Fri, 11 Dec 2009 6:58 pm

I am also interested in any info, as we will be moving from Sydney in Jan 2010 and have a 10 month old baby.....I heard the East Coast is good for expats, but it's all a bit confusing!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 11 Dec 2009 7:36 pm

there's no racial segregation in singapore and there's no one place where expats would stay/live. expats are all over the island from cheapo run down room only, to dormitory, to HDB, to no expense spared condo/bungalow.

the only criteria to choose a location is either near a school for the kids or your place of work.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Dec 2009 9:19 pm

Actually it's not "There's no racial segregation" but "There is racial integration" in Singapore (enforced, by law, if you live in 85% of the housing units here (HDB properties). Each HDB block is only allowed to have the racial percentage of the different races in each block of flats equal to the racial breakdown of the country. So, if there are 100 units in a block, 85 can have Chinese in them, but only 2 can have "others". About 7 can be lived in by Indians, etc, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:46 am

:wink: toapayoh .

there is some condo

and some new one is building now

toapayoh is easy to access to orchard just take mrt only 3 stops .

reach city hall , raffles places is quite fast too by taking mrt.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:00 pm

There are so many apartments to look at that would fit your requirements, it just depends on budget. Holland Village would be more expensive than East Coast (from our experience of moving here last August when rents were through the roof) but now it's not so bad.

We are from the UK and live on the East Coast and we love it here. My husband works at Suntec so is quite an easy commute. He shares a cab with work colleagues who live close by but the Bus Plus service is only $5 each way to the CBD from where we are.

Once you start looking you will get a better idea of what you want. When we did our research before we moved here we were looking at Novena/Newton, Bukit Timah area but found we didn't like it that much and felt much more at home near the coast rather than the city.