Singapore Expats

ltvp rejected, help

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 2:26 am

econoMIC wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:However, did you have to sign a statement when you got married at the ROM certifying that you understand that getting married at the ROM would not automatically guarantee you PR? Most foreigners have to sign that if marrying here. I hand to sign it as well. If so, that may well be the problem.
Yeah I had to sign that as well three years ago when we got married. I thought it was more a pro forma thingy so nobody can complain afterwards, basically as way to avoid a marriage of convenience.

Keep in mind though that your child can be registered as a Singapore Citizen even if she was born in China. Maybe with your husband and your child both being SC you will have more luck after you give birth.

Until then all you can do is speak to an ICA officer in person. The problems are most likely going to be income and/or education or that ICA for some reason regards your marriage as a marriage of convenience.

Good luck.
I have my doubts on the child getting citizenship, because she says her husband is PR for 7 years, not a citizen, so the child would not inherit citizenship, until the father became a citizen, though i maybe wrong on this! My other thoughts are that a quota maybe in place for mainland Chinese. Though PR's are supposed to be on the same footing as citizens, they are not. and quite a few locals are kicking up the dust. Because PR's get priority on the CPF payments, which means they are favoured over locals in the job market. She should appeal of course on the family ties, in which there is a law, that states, dependants must be looked after, I'm sure it's not only financially but emotionally as well. Singaporeans are forced by law, to look after their family members. So what about PR's?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 6:52 am

Correct. If neither parent is a citizen, then Citizenship is out of the question for the child, regardless if the child is born here or not.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shirleyleehl

Post by shirleyleehl » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:21 am

my husband doesnt want to be a Sg citizen, neither me. But since he worked here, if i can get PR that will be perfect at least we can buy the house, after i delivery the baby, i can find job. Even if not PR, but at least LTVP, i need to stay with my hubby. for couple cant be always seperate specially i am pregnant, need a family. but w.o both even i cant delivery baby here, that is so sad.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 5:19 pm

Sorry guys, for some reason I missed the fact that her husband is a PR himself, not a citizen. In this case my previous answer is rubbish and me thinks she will face a long struggle probably without a happy ending.

@shirleyleehl: when they rejected your PR application, did the letter tell you to re-apply after two years or did they just tell you it was rejected. If your husband is a PR and doesn't want to take up citizenship then things might look quite bleak and you might not get PR or an LTSVP going forward. There was a lot of discussion in the media recently that PRC PRs do not integrate into the society very well and thus you might be facing problems as ICA has now done a 180 degree turn and has tightened up massively on PRCs applying for PR.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 2:37 am

econoMIC wrote:Sorry guys, for some reason I missed the fact that her husband is a PR himself, not a citizen. In this case my previous answer is rubbish and me thinks she will face a long struggle probably without a happy ending.

@shirleyleehl: when they rejected your PR application, did the letter tell you to re-apply after two years or did they just tell you it was rejected. If your husband is a PR and doesn't want to take up citizenship then things might look quite bleak and you might not get PR or an LTSVP going forward. There was a lot of discussion in the media recently that PRC PRs do not integrate into the society very well and thus you might be facing problems as ICA has now done a 180 degree turn and has tightened up massively on PRCs applying for PR.
Not a problem I'm sure, it's a public forum and we are not experts, we are just sharing a little knowledge and sometimes things can be overlooked. I must admit when i post it's all on hearsay in most cases and only a person with no common sense would trust a forum that's really my opinon of forums, even if it was full of experts. it must be confirmed. Then you have the legality of cutoms laws, what is and is not legal, until cases are taken to the extreme they are maybe always illegal in every country.
But the facts are on the treaties that have been signed, between Countries, be it Asean or Europe, things are still different in all Countries concerened. So this is a complication that the citizens don't need, that satisfy political agendas for some Country's like the UK and also Denmark, the union serves a purpose, but not in the interest of democracy, but protectionism

shirleyleehl

Post by shirleyleehl » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:33 pm

@shirleyleehl: when they rejected your PR application, did the letter tell you to re-apply after two years or did they just tell you it was rejected. If your husband is a PR and doesn't want to take up citizenship then things might look quite bleak and you might not get PR or an LTSVP going forward. There was a lot of discussion in the media recently that PRC PRs do not integrate into the society very well and thus you might be facing problems as ICA has now done a 180 degree turn and has tightened up massively on PRCs applying for PR.[/quote]

no, they didnt mention we can only re-apply after 2 years, infact we have called them, one lady in ICA told us we can just applied after half year, maybe take more chance to get it, seems this year is very strict for PR and LTVP.

shirleyleehl

Post by shirleyleehl » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:40 pm

tks all your guys. anyway, its only the matter of time, will keep trying.