Singapore Expats

Any Singles?

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
Resource Consumer

Post by Resource Consumer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:22 pm

If only i can be the monkey god, i will traverse the world in style !

But unfortunately, i am only a butterfly.

mauvecloud
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mauvecloud » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:24 pm

wah, my mistake. i'm thinking of the trail yenny mentioned. small wonder someone mentioned a 1 minute clocking.

if we start from harborfront, that'll be about 2 km to the end of henderson waves?

does anyone know the actual length of the trail if we start from Telok Blangah Heights?

That is, 4th bus stop from Harborfront MRT if one were to take the 145 or 131 bus service.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:46 pm

Let's do Henderson Waves for now. Maybe we could start planning the route; start somewhere then end somewhere with food. Just the bridge is kinda short. Any suggestions? Let's also anticipate shelter just in case it pours.

I've no problem with the Treetop walk, even with photography:
I've been told it's beautiful in the general MacRitchie area so it's definitely on my must go list...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

davidplato
Regular
Regular

Post by davidplato » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:55 pm

WHOAAA...

IM COMING!!!!

lets see who is coming, i really love enjoying scenery.. and I haven really experience the scenery of singapore except the buildings only..
Life without music is like a basket without the fruits, Life without design is like a Paper without the words. Music and Design are the Fruitywords of life.

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 9:29 am

best meeting / starting point would b the next bus stop after HP/BP tower along alexandra rd

try the 9km walk starting from floral walk&hort park --> canopy walk --> floral walk&hort park --> alexandra arch --> forest walk --> henderson waves --> hilltop walk and continue on that trail, and u will end up at vivocity

look at this site for reference
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php? ... &Itemid=73)

i completed up to 5-6km previously till mount faber using the route but did a couple of walks just using the floral walk&hort park-canopy walk-alexandra arch-forest walk

i wish i can join u guys for this outing but i'm outta town have to give it a miss. do remember ur brolly/cap/bottled drinks but there's a refreshment counter at hortmart/hort centre

can we do the macrithcie walk + kayaking next outing?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 9:38 am

Hey, all,

I guess we should decide how far we should walk. Please note that we won't be just walking. Most likely (well, at least for me), we'll be stopping to shoot some pics. So, factor in walking speed + breaks (for pics and drinks and stuff)...you get the idea. Nine kilometers isn't that far but it could take a long while at the leisurely pace everyone seems to want.

For reference, riding a bicycle from Simei to Holland covers 21 km and it took me 2.5 hours with breaks (I haven't been riding for months). I was running on the average 15-16 kph. On a bike.

Brittany's suggestion of doing MacRitchie sounds like a splendid idea for the next outing but let's get the Henderson sine wave out of the way first.
brittanny wrote:best meeting / starting point would b the next bus stop after HP/BP tower along alexandra rd

try the 9km walk starting from floral walk&hort park --> canopy walk --> floral walk&hort park --> alexandra arch --> forest walk --> henderson waves --> hilltop walk and continue on that trail, and u will end up at vivocity

look at this site for reference
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php? ... &Itemid=73)

i completed up to 5-6km previously till mount faber using the route but did a couple of walks just using the floral walk&hort park-canopy walk-alexandra arch-forest walk

i wish i can join u guys for this outing but i'm outta town have to give it a miss. do remember ur brolly/cap/bottled drinks but there's a refreshment counter at hortmart/hort centre

can we do the macrithcie walk + kayaking next outing?

pineappletarts
Regular
Regular

Post by pineappletarts » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 9:51 am

Hi peeps, I would be interested to join this Sat for the walk if we could do at least 9km walk. Understand Nakatago concern, so will see what's the final decision before I give my confirmation :wink:

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:14 am

Folks should try out the Henderson Waves trail. I've walked this trail for the 5th time now :) on different routes. Start by late afternoon and end up at Mt. Faber, the view is lovely in the evening. And then from there, take the trail ( sign board says MRT ) that leads out to Harbour Front/Vivo City. I've got some pics taken during the last trail but not sure how I can post it on the forum.

May be if someone can PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send you those snaps before Saturday.

Of course the other trail would be the Tree Tops at Mac Ritchie, nice as well :)

Walking and enjoying the nature is therapeutic :) Enjoy!

Cheerios
Stephanie

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:18 am

* 9km would take about 2 hours leisurely walking time. Add an hour or two for breaks and pauses for sightseeing.
* If it doesn't rain and it does while on the trail the canopy and forest walks do not seem to have shelters.
* We could stop at Jewel Box (F&B) or Vivocity. Also, please note that the Marang Trail connecting the Jewel Box and Vivo is intentionally unlit at night. I suggest the latter because public transport is there.
* How does starting at the canopy walk at 4 pm sound?
* We need a back-up plan if the monsoon rains do us in.

EDIT:

Make that 5 pm. I keep forgetting that Singapore should've been GMT+7 instead of GMT+8! But we can also go with 4 if we're going to wait for an hour for people...
Last edited by nakatago on Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pineappletarts
Regular
Regular

Post by pineappletarts » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:02 am

nakatago wrote:* 9km would take about 2 hours leisurely walking time. Add an hour or two for breaks and pauses for sightseeing.
* If it doesn't rain and it does while on the trail the canopy and forest walks do not seem to have shelters.
* We could stop at Jewel Box (F&B) or Vivocity. Also, please note that the Marang Trail connecting the Jewel Box and Vivo is intentionally unlit at night. I suggest the latter because public transport is there.
* How does starting at the canopy walk at 4 pm sound?
* We need a back-up plan if the monsoon rains do us in.
* 9km with 2 hours leisurely walk plus an hour or two breaks in between sounds ok to me.

* Rain doesn't bother me....but not sure about others. It is good to go prepared with an umbrella, just in case.

* Agreed Vivo would be a better choice with more eating and drinking places too.

* 4pm would be a bit too early if the weather is hot, plus I have an appointment which would end around 4.30 - 5pm. So I would suggest 5pm. The best is 6pm :lol: But will go with majority...

* Back up plan? Hmmm just a suggestion, can still hang around Vivo and eat at Marche :wink:

yenny.y

Post by yenny.y » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:52 pm

backup plan?

how bout plastic disposable raincoats & umbrella?
sing and dance along with "singin in the rain... singin in the rain"..

hmm, watched too much movie, ignore me please..

mauvecloud
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mauvecloud » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:35 pm

Event: The 9-km Saturday Saunter

Date: 21st November

Time: 5.00pm

Meet-up point: See map. Nearest bus stop, National Community Leadership Institute. Only bus service: 200

http://maps.singaporeexpats.com/showmap ... &desc=ROAD

HOW TO GET THERE

Take service 200 from opposite Buona Vista MRT station. Our stop is the 7th stop (not counting the stop you board the bus).

http://www.sbstransit.com.sg/journeypla ... IDGE%20TER

Who's who:

1. mauvecloud
2. nakatago
3. davidplato
4. resource consumer
5. mauvecloud's friend
6. gummiberri
7. steve-r?
8. fumei?
9. other climbing people?

Luvself

Post by Luvself » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 1:42 am

add me + 2 friends pls ?? :))

1. mauvecloud
2. nakatago
3. davidplato
4. resource consumer
5. mauvecloud's friend
6. gummiberri
7. luvself + 2
10. steve-r?
11. fumei?
12. other climbing people?

see ya all !

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:05 am

Hey, people,

It's a leisurely walk so it would be just a walk in the park, so to speak. But please do bring rain gear just in case.

@pineappletarts, @yenny.y, please confirm if you're going with us. I took the liberty of adding your names to THE LIST. :D

Thanks.

1. mauvecloud
2. nakatago
3. davidplato
4. resource consumer
5. mauvecloud's friend
6. gummiberri
7. luvself + 2
11. pineappletarts
12. yenny.y
13. steve-r?
14. fumei?