Singapore Expats

Change Job -> before travel

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
netjagan

Change Job -> before travel

Post by netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I got a job and In-Principle-Letter from Singapore company but havent travelled there...

let me know.
Last edited by netjagan on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 2:03 pm

With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

netjagan

One other - Before travel.

Post by netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 2:56 pm

Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. :roll:

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.

In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

(But im not in singapore)
:evil:

netjagan

um.....

Post by netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Do you know that the 2nd company is stable? How is their history of obtaining work passes? So many variables. It's better to do it (cancel) now before you arrive in Singapore and it's better to cancel the previous application first.

Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. Rolling Eyes

Have requested for one more week but dunno whether they will accepted it or not but im willing to join.

In the employment contract they have a clause - that if i dont join i have to owe a months salary.

Evil or Very Mad

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:50 pm

That would be a risky gamble from my point of view. Unless you earn lots more it might not be worth it.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Saint
Director
Director

Re: um.....

Post by Saint » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:51 pm

netjagan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:With the tightening up of controls in September, you might not want to try it. However, technically, there is no reason you cannot. However, if the first one is not taken up and the second for some reason gets rejected and you are already here, your greed may have you hoist by your own petard.

Actually the issue is -> im happy to join the company but my joining date is still in dilemma, They want me there ASAP. Rolling Eyes

Evil or Very Mad
And you actually signed that contract with that clause in it :o

netjagan

Re: um.....

Post by netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 4:57 pm

Saint wrote:
netjagan wrote:

Evil or Very Mad
And you actually signed that contract with that clause in it :o
ha ha.. yes!!! but i'm interested in joining now too but in a different date...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:21 pm

Unless you have a VERY good reason for not joining on the date as originally contracted for, I would make every attempt to start when you promised to. If you don't you have already told your new employer that the company's deadlines don't mean too much to you as you will do as you please. If you did that to me without a valid reason, I'm afraid that I would not see it favorably at all. In fact, I'd probably tell you to try to get a refund on your ticket.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

netjagan

Post by netjagan » Fri, 13 Nov 2009 5:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless you have a VERY good reason for not joining on the date as originally contracted for, I would make every attempt to start when you promised to. If you don't you have already told your new employer that the company's deadlines don't mean too much to you as you will do as you please. If you did that to me without a valid reason, I'm afraid that I would not see it favorably at all. In fact, I'd probably tell you to try to get a refund on your ticket.
Thanks, i really have a valid point :-| to say.... and have said it too..

But if they are not happy to extend the date - i end up losing the contract rite (by them)... :-|

After that can the contract clause come to picture ? I have said that im ok to work 10 days for free. :shock: - if i join late, i want to be more professional as i change my committed joining date.

P.S. Im relocating on my own & have cancelled the ticket yesterday :(