Singapore Expats

Recent PR application rejection with 2 years restrictions

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
arsh9900

Recent PR application rejection with 2 years restrictions

Post by arsh9900 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 9:38 am

Hi
I am a mechanical engineer here working for 1 years over. have local masters degree from NTU. last year in 2008 i applied for PR right after securing job but got rejected 1st time.

now i m applying again but i have heard that now mostly PR are being rejected and ICA letter says cannot apply before 2 years or so. is it true? many of my chinese friends got this letter with rejection. i am a EP holder type Q1.

can anyone help me if you have heard of that or have any friend who experienced. otherwise if it is true, should i cancel my E-appointment with ICA?

thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 9:59 am

Why cancel your application? If you get a letter asking you to reapply in 6 months or 2 years, then that means you haven't been rejected. It just means they want to see if you are a stayer or a quitter. So? Which are you?

If it's CPF you are wanting, just take the equivalent amount and put it into a fixed deposit every month until your get your PR. If you are wanting to buy a resale HDB flat, same thing, save your money for a larger down payment and maybe flat prices will have dropped from the high levels that they are currently at. If you really want to be a "Permanent Resident" then working here for a couple more years on an EP should not be a problem.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

arsh9900

Post by arsh9900 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:39 am

Hi sms

Thanks buddy for your suggestions. the thing why i am confused is that last year also i got rejection, no reasons and no time limit. this year i want to apply again..now its 1 year 2 months already. but now the situation has changed againa nd lots of people are getting rejection with 2 yrs resrtriction. so thats why i think to apply after may be 6 months rather than to apply, get rejection and cannot apply for next 2 years.

yes you ar right, working on EP is not problem. the only thing is if you cant to swtich the job. i want to increase my basic pay. coz it is right now very low for a MSc or local degree holder which voers around 2.6K to 2.8K as fresh starter. so i dont have enough salary range also. this is one of the things.

what do you think about that?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:48 am

I think you are like a lot of people (foreigners) here who are caught between a rock and a hard place. The local population has been screaming about "foreigners" taking their jobs and MOM is finally starting to listen. That, coupled with the still uncertain economic outlook, make perfect sense to me when I look at it from the government's perspective and duty to it's citizens, which must come first.

What will probably happen is that when the economic conditions sufficiently alleviates itself, and companies start serious ramping up of staffs, we will again see a relaxing of immigration policy. And those who have stuck it out will be the ones that the government will probably approve first. But in the venerable words of an old monk, "patience grasshopper!" :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

arsh9900

Post by arsh9900 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:03 am

Hi Sms

Yes you are correct, due to many recent and long history of ppl taking PR for wrong reasons and giving up, genuine ppl also suffer.

Now i have a offer of higher salary which is 2.5K basic and 200 allowance. same in my field of working. i am planning to takeup this job and try to increase my basic salary. just to give idea, i work in project management fieldl in oil & gas sector. do you think, this job switching to higher salary affect PR application once it is filed?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:20 am

Anytime you can show an increase of earning power to the government, that shows that you are contributing to the economy in ever increasing amounts. This translates to more spending power, and more tax dollars for the government. If you were to be able to get onto a P2 pass this would be even better from a practical point of view. A higher salary in the same class really doesn't affect too much although, it's still bound to be looked at more favourably if you keep increasing your value as you change position/employer. On the other hand, be careful that the changes don't happen too fast as this could also be construed as being unstable or a job hopper. It's hard to know where the lines are drawn as MOM always keeps their cards close to their chest so all we really have to go on is anecdotal evidence and general experience of dealing with MOM.

arsh9900

Post by arsh9900 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:33 am

Thanks sms

for your suggestions. you are right, nto too fast changes. i think 1 yr 2 months now its ok to change a company.

anyways, i wil keep in mind the things that you have discussed and suggested. i will be around here to see and check back if any updates also.

thanks alot

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 4:42 pm

Good luck. There is no harm in trying to apply again. I am surprised in the first place that they did not invite you to take up PR when you did finished your Masters as NTU.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Thu, 12 Nov 2009 6:59 pm

I am surprised in the first place that they did not invite you to take up PR when you did finished your Masters as NTU.
ICA sends an invitation to APPLY for PR, there is no guarantee that the application will be successful, as you know the chances of rejection are quite high these days.

nooob

need some advice

Post by nooob » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 9:39 am

I am in a similar dilemma now.. I am graduating with a Master's degree this year and am on an EP. My girlfriend is graduating this year too but is on a student pass.

Both of us have invites to PR but her job depends on her securing a PR. We are planning to get married next year, but If she does not manage to get a PR, she might have to leave the country.. :( which would mean, I'll have to leave too.

Securing a PR is really important for both of us now. I am wondering if I should apply for PR right now, considering all the rejections. Any advice?

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:47 pm

How are you on an EP while you are a student? Unless you are working and doing a part time program. If you have an invitation to apply you should go ahead and apply. As I mentioned earlier there are no guarantees but chances of success are better.

By the way, I think the invitation is only applicable after you graduate, so you might have to wait till your final semester results are out.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 1:59 am

The invitation is prepared a few months before graduation, and you collect it from the international students office.

The letter is valid for one year from the date of your graduation.

The text of the letter is as follows:

<name>
<address>

Dear Sir/Madam,

APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE
FIN:

We note from our records that you are a final year foreign student of a polytechnic/university/institution in Singapore.

2 We are pleased to inform you that after graduation, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residence upon securing a job offer in Singapore. Your application will normally be approved upon commencing full-time employment.

3 The application form ( Form 4A ) and explanatory note can be downloaded from ICA's website at http://www.ica.gov.sg . If you wish to apply for permanent residence upon securing a job offer and after being conferred your degree, please complete the downloaded application form and submit them together with this letter and supporting documents (original and photocopy) not earlier than 3 days before the date of commencement of your employment to the Permanent Resident Services Centre at:

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
ICA Building
10, Kallang Road, 5th Floor
Singapore 208718

A temporary Employment Pass will be issued to enable you to start work pending the approval of your application.

4 To facilitate your job seeking, you may wish to show this letter to your potential employer as it is an indication of your eligibility to apply for permanent residence. As a permanent resident, you would be able to stay and work in Singapore.

5 Please note that this letter is valid for one year from the date of your graduation.

6 Kindly ignore this letter if you have already submitted to us a permanent residence application for assessment.

Yours Sincerely,

Koh Hong Lien (Miss)
for CONTROLLER OF IMMIGRATION
SINGAPORE

parry003

Post by parry003 » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 3:38 pm

Is there any major adv of taking PR..apart from house purchase N etc ? pls give some inof on it..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Nov 2009 4:35 pm

Please use some initiative and do a search of the forum. It's been discussed ad nauseum on here.