Singapore Expats

Renting a place in Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
hellonoko

Renting a place in Singapore

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 6:33 pm

I have been thinking to stay here in Singapore and have started looking around for places to rent.

I have been talking, mostly via SMS with a few agents/people representing rentals I have found on gumtree.com

After I message them a bit I seem to get rejected.

They ask about my 'profile'

I own real estate in the US and live off the income.

I don't need or want any type of VISA as I can (I am fairly sure) continuously leave and re-enter Singapore as long as each stay does not last over 90 days.

What I would like to do is rent a place and then sub let the 2nd room or common room.

Is it illegal to rent to me unless I have some kind of permanent VISA?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
ian

Search By

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 7:00 pm

Yes it is illegal for a tourist to rent a place. You have to provide proof that you are legally entitled to live in Singapore, therefore a valid work permit, PR and of course a citizen

x9200

Re: Renting a place in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 8:04 pm

hellonoko wrote:I don't need or want any type of VISA as I can (I am fairly sure) continuously leave and re-enter Singapore as long as each stay does not last over 90 days.
Perhaps few times. Sooner or later it will be noticed that you abuse the system, and then what?

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 8:26 pm

So it seems that to get a WP I would actually have to get a job.

What are my chances of renting a room from someone?

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 8:40 pm

@x9200

What? It's not an abuse of the system at all.

As a US citizen I can stay for 90 days from date of entry for social or business purposes.

There is (to my knowledge) no limit to the number of re-entry's or requirements for gaps between stays.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 8:55 pm

hellonoko wrote:@x9200

What? It's not an abuse of the system at all.

As a US citizen I can stay for 90 days from date of entry for social or business purposes.

There is (to my knowledge) no limit to the number of re-entry's or requirements for gaps between stays.
You honestly believe that this 90 days you MAY be re-granted with every re-entry is meant for perpetual extension of the stay in Singapore?

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:10 pm

No.

But I honestly believe the duration of my stay will be 6-12 months.

And I honestly believe if there was an issue immigration would say something to me.

And I honestly believe as long as i'm not causing problems in Singapore and contributing to the economy with my long term tourism they won't care.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:17 pm

hellonoko wrote:There is (to my knowledge) no limit to the number of re-entry's or requirements for gaps between stays.
There most certainly is. If you're staying 90 days end to end each time, odds are you'll get raised eyebrows and questioning on your 2nd visa, and will probably be given 3 days to pack and leave on the 3rd.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:23 pm

jpatokal.

Could you link me to the government pages on this?

I have already re-entered 3 times over a 3? month period with small week long breaks in between.

If I do stay 6-12 months. It will be broken up by trips out of Singapore so I really don't see this becoming an issue.

What I really would like to know is how I can find a place to stay for 6-12 months. Is finding a room to rent my best bet?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:43 pm

hellonoko wrote:jpatokal.

Could you link me to the government pages on this?

I have already re-entered 3 times over a 3? month period with small week long breaks in between.

If I do stay 6-12 months. It will be broken up by trips out of Singapore so I really don't see this becoming an issue.

What I really would like to know is how I can find a place to stay for 6-12 months. Is finding a room to rent my best bet?
The problem is tax evasion, if you have remained more than 183 days in Singapore, you are required to pay tax on any earned income after the 183 day residential rules.

You can of course come on a vistor or business visa, but must not work, and you must stick to the 183 day tax rules. Finding a room is the best bet, though it would be illegal. Landlords are obliged to check visa and work passes. To be certain of your legal position in Singapore, you need to discuss it with an ICA officer. Though remember the tax laws here are 183 days, ignorance of the rules is not an excuse and you will be punished if breaking the rules.

So also take a trip to IRAS or phone them on the tax liabilities as a non resident staying longer than 183 days. It's really not wise to assume you are legal, though ICA may not stop you after 180's in one go. The alarm bells will ring after you have clocked up 183 days within the year.
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:50 pm

ksl.

Do you think this is really an issue for me if I say:

Stay here till December and then go to Philippines for 2 weeks.
Come back and then go to China for the month of February.
Stay here for March and then fly back to the US in April for about 4 months. Then fly back here for... undecided.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:04 pm

hellonoko wrote:ksl.

Do you think this is really an issue for me if I say:

Stay here till December and then go to Philippines for 2 weeks.
Come back and then go to China for the month of February.
Stay here for March and then fly back to the US in April for about 4 months. Then fly back here for... undecided.
The risk is yours! I'm just explaining the rules after 183 days, it is your duty to contact the tax people, I don't expect they will chase you, but if they do, they will not be too happy. Best to get it cleared, phone up, no need to give a name

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:07 pm

Quite right. Thanks for the informative answer.

Do you know where I can find the max days stay per year before tax and such information online?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:10 pm

hellonoko wrote:Quite right. Thanks for the informative answer.

Do you know where I can find the max days stay per year before tax and such information online?
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/default.aspx

You can apply for Long Term Stay if you are over 45, though the criteria is quite high in terms of finance http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=238&secid=171
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellonoko

Post by hellonoko » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:20 pm

Great! Thanks I don't think I need to worry as my income is not taxable:

http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page.aspx?id=8502

It is received in Singapore through partnerships in Singapore.
Your overseas employment is incidental to your Singapore employment. That is, as part of your work here, you need to travel overseas.
You are employed outside Singapore on behalf of Government of Singapore.

But I will give them a call none-the-less.