Singapore Expats

PR Application timing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

PR Application timing

Post by revhappy » Fri, 06 Nov 2009 7:10 pm

Last edited by revhappy on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:55 am

First of all, try and google 'Singapore PR' and find out what 'PR' stands for. One thing it doesn't stand for is 'I want all the advantages of being a PR but there's no way I'm staying here for more than 5 years'

The government is beginning to get wise to PR applicants like yourself who have been abusing he PR system for a number of years, and a good thing I say.

You can apply but you will probably get rejected and told to try again in 2 years, that's if you are still here!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 1:38 pm

You can apply but I hope you get rejected as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 4:58 pm

But advantage being we will be able to buy a resale HDB(only PRs can buy HDBs)
Really? Didn't know only PRs can buy HDBs.
a low yielding instrument called the CPF
Read up on the term CPF as well as PR.

I would apply in about 5 to 10 years time if I were you.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 5:22 pm

There are absolutely no benefits of being a PR.Last year the only reason people applied for PRs is because they wanted to stay here to look for another job if they lose their jobs. I think that is crazy reason to apply for PR because during recession it is next to impossible to find another job easily and it could take months. How would you surivive here with such high costs also with no relatives for emotional support.

Now that the recession is over, the number of people applying for PR will again fall to normal levels and there wont be as many rejections.

If you guys are thinking being a Singapore Citizen or PR is lucrative then think again. Read the link below and you will know

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/08/28 ... d-economy/

Here's the summary
[quote]Every elected government of the day has an implicit ’social contract’ with the voters. Citizens vote for a government to take care of their interests. To many, this means a roof over their heads, a decent standard of living and provision of basic medical services.

Singapore has one of the highest GDP per capita in the world, but are we living the lives of people in a first world economy? Has the government fulfilled its ’social contract’ to us?

The UBS study has once again exposed the inherent fallacy in the government’s argument that unbridled economic growth will bring prosperity to all Singaporeans.

Besides the high cost of living, all of Singapore’s other economic indices are far away from those of first world countries including our closest competitors in Asia – Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. In fact we are closer to the Russian than the Swiss standard of living.

Singaporeans are “rich”
Last edited by revhappy on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:01 pm

So why are you here and if you already know the answers why did you ask the question in the first place?!? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:41 pm

I enjoyed the read, though i ask myself where have all the Singaporeans, gone?
PR status is for those that intend to stay permanent, through hell and high water!

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 8:35 pm

Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.
She applied for my LTSVP and 1year was approved within 10days.And after 3months on on the ltvsp,we applied my PR which is 2months plus old now.Still waiting for reply from ica.

Please,what are my chances of getting approval?Do i have good chances?

Thank you...and also im from Africa
N/b,my wife also applied for her citizenship.....

she came to singapore in 2000 on EP with MOE until 2004 when she got her PR...She's been teaching for 8years now

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 4:39 pm

uc wrote:Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.
She applied for my LTSVP and 1year was approved within 10days.And after 3months on on the ltvsp,we applied my PR which is 2months plus old now.Still waiting for reply from ica.

she came to singapore in 2000 on EP with MOE until 2004 when she got her PR...She's been teaching for 8years now
Be patient. Being married to a PR/Citizen is a different ball game compared to applying while on EP. It took me about 3 months in April this year to get my PR as the spouse of a Singaporean. The odds given your high level of education should be good. Just be patient.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 4:55 pm

[quote="revhappy"]There are absolutely no benefits of being a PR.Last year the only reason people applied for PRs is because they wanted to stay here to look for another job if they lose their jobs. I think that is crazy reason to apply for PR because during recession it is next to impossible to find another job easily and it could take months. How would you surivive here with such high costs also with no relatives for emotional support.

Now that the recession is over, the number of people applying for PR will again fall to normal levels and there wont be as many rejections.

If you guys are thinking being a Singapore Citizen or PR is lucrative then think again. Read the link below and you will know

Here's the summary
[quote]Every elected government of the day has an implicit ’social contract’ with the voters. Citizens vote for a government to take care of their interests. To many, this means a roof over their heads, a decent standard of living and provision of basic medical services.

Singapore has one of the highest GDP per capita in the world, but are we living the lives of people in a first world economy? Has the government fulfilled its ’social contract’ to us?

The UBS study has once again exposed the inherent fallacy in the government’s argument that unbridled economic growth will bring prosperity to all Singaporeans.

Besides the high cost of living, all of Singapore’s other economic indices are far away from those of first world countries including our closest competitors in Asia – Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. In fact we are closer to the Russian than the Swiss standard of living.

Singaporeans are “rich”
a.k.a. littlegreenman

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 6:06 pm

revhappy wrote:

There are absolutely no benefits of being a PR.Last year the only reason people applied for PRs is because they wanted to stay here to look for another job if they lose their jobs. I think that is crazy reason to apply for PR because during recession it is next to impossible to find another job easily and it could take months. How would you surivive here with such high costs also with no relatives for emotional support.

Here's the summary..............................

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

People like you should have no place here . Period!

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 7:02 pm

econoMIC wrote:
uc wrote:Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.

Be patient. Being married to a PR/Citizen is a different ball game compared to applying while on EP. It took me about 3 months in April this year to get my PR as the spouse of a Singaporean. The odds given your high level of education should be good. Just be patient.

Thanks man...When you applied,where you on what pass?was that your first application or second?Please do reply.

I have taken note of double posting,which will not occur again.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 9:30 pm

revhappy wrote:There are absolutely no benefits of being a PR.
You really need to do some more research :???:

- CPF (which has its downsides, but all things considered is probably more good than bad)
- Can start and run your own company
- Subsidized medical care in government hospitals
- Subsidized public education
- Can buy subsidized government flats
- No need to find a job in 14 days if laid off
- Can go away for a few years (study, family, work elsewhere etc) and easily come back later

In fact, it would be closer to the truth to say that there are no downsides to being PR! NS liability for sons is the main exception.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:39 am

Hi,how is the approval rate now especially spouse sponsorship?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:53 am

uc wrote:Hi,how is the approval rate now especially spouse sponsorship?
Your spouse being PR I not sure of the approval rate as not many postings on the forum highlighting your particular scenario.

Most of us who have been through the spouse sponsorship route is where the spouse is a Singaporean.