Singapore Expats

kitchen counter top height

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

kitchen counter top height

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 5:29 pm

Dumb question - are there any housing complexes in Singapore that cater to tall expats like ourselves? We've settled on a place for now, but found that we are about half a foot too tall for most of the places we looked it. My neck hurts ...if we move down the road I want to try and find a place with "taller" countertops!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 6:55 pm

Why would they do that? The population is made of of normal height Asians. There aren't many Yao Ming's here I don't think so it wouldn't make any sense to build flats with countertops that they could rest their chins on. Bout the only way would be to buy and renovate to suit yourself.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 8:20 pm

Well, yes, to state the obvious. But that said there are an awful lot of pasty faced folks here and a lot of neighbourhoods that cater to them, so I thought it might be possible there could be apartments built as such. Apparently not... :roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 8:56 pm

Actually, only certain stores cater to pasty-faced folk (although not near as many as you might think) While 1 out of four here are foreigners, probably 90% of those are other Asian foreigners. Housing counts on owners and most of them are Asian, Maybe not Singaporeans but asians nonetheless. Lots of the citizens of our neighbouring countries here like to park their ill-gotten gains in condo's in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 7:47 am

Really depends on the apartment... the last 3 places we've lived here have all had tall kitchen counters (I'm a 5'11 female and do all the cooking)... but I think that was just lucky - the shower was definitely made for someone about 5'7 max). When you look next time - ask the agent to find out if the kitchens have been renovated... or if you are planning to live in the apt for a long time and have secured a great rent you could always do it yourself or ask the landlord to split the cost. Also if you stick to really "expat-y" buildings a lot of the countertops seem to be fairly tall.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 8:29 am

I'm Asian but a pretty tall guy myself and what I do is just sit on a stool high enough when I work on the kitchen counter.

But yeah, the showers can be pretty low and bus seat clearance "too short."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 9:16 am

cbavasi wrote:Really depends on the apartment... the last 3 places we've lived here have all had tall kitchen counters (I'm a 5'11 female and do all
I am 1.8m male, not that I am cooking that frequently but I still do from time to time and I was simply not aware of such problem. In our last 2 places both the kitchen counter and the showers were just fine.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:08 am

My husband is 6"1 and the counters and shower is fine for him. We did see older apartments when we first looked and the showers were clearly too low for him. But all the new ones were fine.
Zeenit