Singapore Expats

beaches for swimming?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aargon
Chatter
Chatter

beaches for swimming?

Post by aargon » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 6:44 pm

is it ok to swim in the sea on the east coast beaches or sentosa island?
ok as in - you wont get sick from pollution.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Re: beaches for swimming?

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 6:49 pm

aargon wrote:is it ok to swim in the sea on the east coast beaches or sentosa island?
ok as in - you wont get sick from pollution.
:lol: As a local here , I prefer to swim in public swimming pool

than go to beach.

Maybe due to last time when I was a kid.

Happen to go east coast swim.The water feel so salty .After bath my body feel abit itchy.After that incident I told myself I don;t want to swim in the sea .

That was long time ago.Maybe now the water is better.

but for me I prefer to swim at toapayoh swimming pool.

so far I feel toapayoh swimming pool look more nicer and spacious.

On weekends best time is go during mid morning .2pm onwards the pool will be seem abit crowded due to kids at there learn swimming.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 6:56 pm

sure you can swim in east coast or sentosa. water is OK although i havent chemically tested it yet. no oil spill or "floating matters", so should be OK. :P :D

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 7:06 pm

durain wrote:sure you can swim in east coast or sentosa. water is OK although i havent chemically tested it yet. no oil spill or "floating matters", so should be OK. :P :D
Mate, if its not good enough for the locals to swim in, then that should be enough of a warning sign.

Sgboy, I dont think it was salt you were feeling in the water. Probably closer to toxic waste, hence the body rash afterwards... :oops:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 7:10 pm

you dunno the singaporean local yet. nothing is good enuf for them! if you want pukka beach to swim in, goto www.nikoi.com.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:05 pm

I don't know aargon, you also have aunties buying bottled water to shower as they are afraid of newwater.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:15 pm

I figure the locals must know something that we expats dont?

I read most aunties are usually all abit crazy :x so their actions dont count. :shock:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:10 am

aargon, you figure wrong. They are a superstitious lot. Even the young ones. They still slap the seats on the bus and mrt before sitting down. I've been swimming in the waters here for over a quarter of a century and aside from no hair, skin cancer and general crankiness, there's nothing wrong with me at all. I drink all my water straight from the taps as well, without boiling it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 5:12 pm

aargon wrote:I figure the locals must know something that we expats dont?

I read most aunties are usually all abit crazy :x so their actions dont count. :shock:
:lol: what I know changi beach is dirty.

The local indians will throw their decreased ash into the sea there.

Even I am not sure about this as a local here.Is my indian and even my malay collegues told me before.

Next sentosa there is few cases of people getting drowned there.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 5:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:aargon, you figure wrong. They are a superstitious lot. Even the young ones. They still slap the seats on the bus and mrt before sitting down. I've been swimming in the waters here for over a quarter of a century and aside from no hair, skin cancer and general crankiness, there's nothing wrong with me at all. I drink all my water straight from the taps as well, without boiling it.

lol :lol: serious ya .But I am a free thinker here so do my parents and I don;t do this kind of stupid acts .

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:25 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote: The local indians will throw their decreased ash into the sea there.
At least they had the decency to cremate the body before throwing it in the sea #-o

I read somewhere that in India they just throw the whole body out to sea... :^o

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:50 pm

Yeah I have seen it with my own eyes... there are corpses and other stuff floating in the Ganges River. I still can't believe the believers are happy to dive into it and cleanse themselves given the fact that the river is full of dead bodies and garbage as well as chemicals.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 7:58 pm

econoMIC wrote:Yeah I have seen it with my own eyes... there are corpses and other stuff floating in the Ganges River. I still can't believe the believers are happy to dive into it and cleanse themselves given the fact that the river is full of dead bodies and garbage as well as chemicals.
yeah, those believers are probably expats like SMS living in India for over half a century.... :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 8:45 pm

Actually all the beaches except one have passed the quality standards.

Pasir Ris failed the last couple of years on the trot, its contaminated with human waste. I can find the link i will paste it

Here's one link http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2 ... tains.html

montypython

Post by montypython » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:57 pm

East Coast beach is fine for swimming as long as you don't mind the 0% water visibility!