Singapore Expats

Collecting/issueing EPs via EP Online

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
jpatokal

Collecting/issueing EPs via EP Online

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 6:59 pm

So, I'm a little confused by the new EP Online collection system (eff 1 July 2009). I have a new guy coming in next week, and he'll need to do the fingerprint rumba at EPSC. MOM's "Collection" page says: "The successful Employment Pass (EP) applicant must be in Singapore at the time the EP is issued." Can/should I request to issue the EP now and set up the appointment for collecting & fingerprinting next week after his arrival, or do I need to wait until he's physically in Sg before I can even start this process? Do you have any control over the appointment time, or does MOM pick for you?

...and yeah, I probably should call MOM and ask, but usually this forum is faster and more accurate :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 7:48 pm

Well for us, we arrived on the 1st of July with our IPA... (so with the new system starting)

The HR booked the appointement, we went there with the picture, all our documentation requested in the IPA signed, got the fingerprint...

And the HR guy went a few days later to pick up the card for us...

The fingerprint being taken there and being on the EP card, don't really think you can get the EP issued before the guy is there...

But I guess you can probably book the appointement before he arrives to make sure to have it asap...

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:16 am

you can book the appointment online for say next week so book it when you have a confirmed date of arrival. I think the calendar is for the next 14 days from memory so it's pretty good. You select the time and date so pretty straightforward.

Registering and going through the EP online process though was a bit of a nightmare!!
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 1:46 pm

Tried the application just now and no luck: the issue request form requires the disembarkation card number, last day of validity for Social Visit Pass etc, which are obviously only available after arrival in Singapore. So apparently I do have to wait until he's here before I can book the appointment. :???:

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 2:34 pm

oh. Maybe because I'm here, have a FIN no etc etc it wasn't a problem.
I actually found the system a bit complicated but at least you now know what's what.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 04 Nov 2009 4:52 pm

Just to follow up: there were tons of appointment slots available even on short notice, had no problem at all getting a time for the following day. The new EPSC at Riverwalk is really slick, feels more like an airport lounge than the old zoo at MOM, and the registration took all of about 5 minutes.

The only problem with the new system is that nobody in Singapore accepts the "notification to register" paper as an EP, no matter what it says and how many stamps there are on it, so you can't open bank accounts (at least at UOB), phone lines etc until the EP card is ready. UOB also requires a "proof of residental address" in addition to the EP card before they'll open an account for you. :???:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:13 am

jpatokal wrote:Just to follow up: there were tons of appointment slots available even on short notice, had no problem at all getting a time for the following day. The new EPSC at Riverwalk is really slick, feels more like an airport lounge than the old zoo at MOM, and the registration took all of about 5 minutes.

The only problem with the new system is that nobody in Singapore accepts the "notification to register" paper as an EP, no matter what it says and how many stamps there are on it, so you can't open bank accounts (at least at UOB), phone lines etc until the EP card is ready. UOB also requires a "proof of residental address" in addition to the EP card before they'll open an account for you. :???:

I opened my UOB account without EP card being issued, only based on my contract and office address although, which was fine, they said I couldn't get a credit card until the card was issued. It was exactly the same story when i first moved to KL and had to wait three months for Work Permit, can you imagine what the story would have been without an account for so long?

I always try to ask the bank..... "Ok, how to i get money to Singapore for renting an apartment, buying a car and furniture etc. all without a cheque book or ATM/NETS card?" and carry about USD1000 in cash to open it. I also take a long a few months worth of bank statements to show yes, i actually DO have some money to bring you...... they usually just fold like paper from there.

One thing about these new EP..... can we use them for the Auto Gates at immigration in Changi? The ID card i have from Hong Kong with fingerprint etc. let's me in and out of the country in about 20s.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 1:00 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:One thing about these new EP..... can we use them for the Auto Gates at immigration in Changi? The ID card i have from Hong Kong with fingerprint etc. let's me in and out of the country in about 20s.
I believe you will need to apply for the entry/exit card to use the automated gates.

Even citizens and PR's do not use their NRIC cards, they use their passports.

And the signs at the gates indicate citizen and PR only.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 5:26 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
I opened my UOB account without EP card being issued, only based on my contract and office address although, which was fine, they said I couldn't get a credit card until the card was issued.

Same here for hubby... at DBS... he had a paper from HR saying how long he had been employed and annual salary and the letter for the EP card.

They agreed to open an account on the basis of the letter and the promise to come back with the card as soon as it had been issued.