Singapore Expats

My brother is detained by POLICE!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
helpmeplease

My brother is detained by POLICE!

Post by helpmeplease » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 9:31 am

I'm from Malaysia. my brother was detained on last Sunday, by Changi police. and he just manage to make a very short call to us that he did something against law and now detained by police.

we didn't know what is happening and couldn't get in touch with him since then.

after we called to check with police department by department , then we realise that my brother is charged under credit card fraud. We were so shocked, sad n disappointed. but anyway, we believe that he must be cheated by his bad friends. he have a good job in Malaysia, we are very close and we just had dinner on the day before. he didn't told us that he is going to Singapore at all. although we are not in rich family, we didn't even think to do anything that is against Law.

we had consult with Singapore Police station, and being told that only Singaporean can apply from court to 'take'(保释) him out. but we don't know any Singaporean. is that means there're no alternative way?

Do anyone know for this kind of case, what is the outcome? Fine? roughly how much?

Do anyone know any accomodation that is cheap? because i need to go to Singapore to get things clear and i want to see my brother. my sister and i were crying day n night thinking of him. we didn't told both of my parents as my father got stroke, and kidney problem (now doing dialysis), my mother got heart problem. It is really hard for us to keep lying to them that brother is working in singapore now. i know they have some doubt for this as it is impossible that my brother didn't tell them before and why can't reach his cell phone. but what to do, i can't let anything happenned to my parents again. i'm feeling helpless..

we were feeling hopeless and have no direction of what to do.. somemore i'm jobless for half year and now taking care of my newborn baby. What happenned now is such a BIG stone stacking on my back. but i know i love my brother and i know there're must be some story at the back that make him done this.

Could anyone pls give me some advice and answer my question as above as soon as possible?

Thanks for reading this and hope to share your advice..

Ally

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:00 am

Best thing is to check with the Malaysian Embassy to see what his/your options are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:16 am

And you could check with the legal aid society.

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you ... cheme.aspx

helpmeplease

Post by helpmeplease » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Best thing is to check with the Malaysian Embassy to see what his/your options are.
we had called the Malaysian Embassy and they said they can't do anything, just can check if my brother is doing fine at there.

:'(

feeling very down..
i just called the visit department to apply to visit my brother. they said my bro is will be quarantined for a week, we can only see him thru video call. i said it's ok for me as i want to see him as soon as i can. Unfortunately, at the end she said the appointment for visit was full for the whole week. we can only see him next week..

oh god! today is tuesday..i don't even know how is he for the past 2 days..and now i have to wait for the whole week just to see him! can't stop my tears...

helpmeplease

Post by helpmeplease » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:And you could check with the legal aid society.

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you ... cheme.aspx

Thanks for your advice!
I'll call them after lunch time..

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:59 pm

Do anyone know for this kind of case, what is the outcome? Fine? roughly how much?
Well Ris Low was found guilty of credit card fraud and she is going about winning beauty pageants.

helpmeplease

Post by helpmeplease » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 5:05 pm

xtasy010 wrote:
Well Ris Low was found guilty of credit card fraud and she is going about winning beauty pageants.
Ris low is singaporean and she is below 21 years old, is that the reason that at the end she is under probation only?

what about to Malaysian ,above 21 years for credit card fraud case in Singapore?

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 5:25 pm

You are right, you should visit the Commercial Affairs Department website and search for Credit Card Fraud. It will list some links to recent cases and with details of punishments handed down.

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Thu, 29 Oct 2009 8:43 am

im sorry to hear
i dont mean to scare the **** out of u but however please be mentally prepared that max term is 10yrs and/or fine, per section 473B of the Penal Code:
Making or possessing equipment for making a false instrument with intent to induce prejudice
473B. Any person (A) who —
(a) makes or has in his custody or under his control a machine or implement, or paper or other material, which is or has been specifically designed or adapted for the making of any instrument; and
(b) intends that —
(i) he or another person makes a false instrument using the machine or implement, or paper or other material in order to induce another person (B) to accept it as genuine; and
(ii) by reason of so accepting it, B does or does not do some act to B’s or any other person’s prejudice,
shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 10 years, or with fine, or with both.

onus is always on the prosecution to prove guilty beyond reasonable doubt. having said that the court will always take into account, upon sentencing, whether the defendant is a first time offender

please get your bro a legal rep asap, do not delay any further

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 7:47 am

Well he did steal, or attempt to steal from somebody and coincidently if he was successful then he has stolen a minute amount from everybody. Credit card companies pass these losses along. Actually he did not steal from me because I refuse to use credit cards any more, but the sentiment remains.

What penalty would you suggest for someone who has tried to steal in this manner?

Remember that without consistently sending a clear message on this issue the Singaporean judiciary risks this becoming a much more prevalent attack.

Theft is an attempt to enslave others, if one obtains monies without effort and then uses them, the resulting situation is indistinguishable from slavery.

What penalty then for attempted enslavement?
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 7:56 am

SunWuKong wrote:Well he did steal, or attempt to steal from somebody and coincidently if he was successful then he has stolen a minute amount from everybody. Credit card companies pass these losses along. Actually he did not steal from me because I refuse to use credit cards any more, but the sentiment remains.

What penalty would you suggest for someone who has tried to steal in this manner?

Remember that without consistently sending a clear message on this issue the Singaporean judiciary risks this becoming a much more prevalent attack.

Theft is an attempt to enslave others, if one obtains monies without effort and then uses them, the resulting situation is indistinguishable from slavery.

What penalty then for attempted enslavement?
Rather extreme?